Home

Are Hollywood Blockbusters to blame for bad game play? Think Simpson/Bruckheimer/Bay

This is a discussion on Are Hollywood Blockbusters to blame for bad game play? Think Simpson/Bruckheimer/Bay within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 11
Are Hollywood Blockbusters to blame for bad game play? Think Simpson/Bruckheimer/Bay

The words Sega Genesis just popped out at me when I was reading just now and it made me think.

A lot of people on here talk about how good game play was on the old 8 and 16 bit consoles and I think I understand why. It isn't all about nostalgia and remembering the "good old days" in a golden light but developers back then extruded every possible ounce of power from these consoles and GRAPHICS were not the priority. Game play is where games were made back then. It wasn't about how it looked in as much it was about story and immersion and what happened rather than how it looked.

We've all seen the progression of games during the life of the console. The longer a console stays around the better the games get because we all know that they learn to get the most out of a console.

Well since the next gen consoles game out, the paradigm shifted greatly from game play to graphics and with another generation of consoles coming out, looks like we're due for another reboot of eye popping candy rather than better games.

So if EA is trying concepts out now, before the next gen of consoles as has been stated in various places then maybe that's a good thing? We didn't use to need amazing graphics to be able to play a game all night long.

But unfortunately, it is as rare for an indie movie with substance to become a blockbuster mega-hit as it is for a game with depth (cough cough Head Coach cough) to make it in today's see me market.

What do you think? Is Madden maybe doing the right thing here?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2012, 12:51 AM   #2
MVP

Obnoxious's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Are Hollywood Blockbusters to blame for bad game play? Think Simpson/Bruckheimer/

I hope I live long enough to see 100% CGI video games. Would be pretty awesome.

I see nothing wrong with gameplay in today's games. Maddens gameplay have nothing to do with the developers lack of desire or anything, just their lack of football knowledge. I'd rather have good AI than chain gangs, 3D fans, jumbo tron, etc.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 2
Re: Are Hollywood Blockbusters to blame for bad game play? Think Simpson/Bruckheimer/

I would rather have Sega Genesis graphics and an expansive simulation style franchise/CCM mode that has everything you can do in football. Would anyone else be willing to sacrifice next gen graphics if the game played like we all know it could?

I absolutely believe that this op is right. It is the graphics that are hurting the AI, the options in franchise, and the realistic depiction of the game.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

You see NOTHING wrong with the gameplay????

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »