Home

How to stop passes to the tight end?!?

This is a discussion on How to stop passes to the tight end?!? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2012, 01:49 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
How to stop passes to the tight end?!?

I am in a long-running, dedicated league with some friends. There is a guy in the league that uses tight end slant a lot. I thought I had figured out how to stop it. I would manually put Ed Reed (who I have progressed up to 93 man coverage) directly in front of his tight end (Coby Fleener). It pretty much shut him down and I won by a good margin.

I made it to the Super Bowl and played someone different there. I would try putting Ed Reed in man on Vernon Davis but 99 Awareness, 99 Play Recognition, 93 Man Coverage Ed Reed would get confused and drop off, not covering him at all. He was using tight end outs. If I ever did cover Vernon by putting 2 or even 3 guys into man on him, he would run for the first down with Russell Wilson. If I ever threw in a QB spy, I would not have enough pass rush or coverage on Vernon Davis. How in the WORLD do you stop passes to the tight end on here? I tried pretty much everything I could think of. It feels glitchy to me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2012, 02:15 AM   #2
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: How to stop passes to the tight end?!?

If he's only passing to one player and using one route on every play, the only real suggestion is to join a league that doesn't cheese.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
Pro

War Eagle!'s Arena

OVR: 4

You can stop him easily. If he comes out 3 Wide, 1 RB, 1 TE, run a dime with a some kind of man coverage. I wouldn't recommend a cover 0, but cover 1 or cover 2 man is golden and have that dime back cover the TE. Shade him to the inside a little bit and take away that slant. If he runs the out route, he will be right there with him and you can click on him to either swat or go for the pick or even the tackle that'll limit him to 4-5 yards. Eventually he will get tired of throwing it for 3 yards, no gain, no gain, punt and have to change it up.

But I always stop things like that by looking at what's being sent out there. If I know i'm playing the Saints and they come out 2 Wide, with a TE and 2 backs, normally I would come out in maybe a base 3-4 but with Jimmy Graham I know most LB's can't cover him so I might come out in the nickel just depending on the situation.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
Banned

Quarter 2 man under spy control the MLB who is on spy and follow tight end with him
Old 09-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 3

I've played around 40 ranked games. I think 3 were against people that respected the game. I stopped playin online. Got tired of cheesers going for every 4th down.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
MVP

EarvGotti's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockBanditPhil
I am in a long-running, dedicated league with some friends. There is a guy in the league that uses tight end slant a lot. I thought I had figured out how to stop it. I would manually put Ed Reed (who I have progressed up to 93 man coverage) directly in front of his tight end (Coby Fleener). It pretty much shut him down and I won by a good margin.

I made it to the Super Bowl and played someone different there. I would try putting Ed Reed in man on Vernon Davis but 99 Awareness, 99 Play Recognition, 93 Man Coverage Ed Reed would get confused and drop off, not covering him at all. He was using tight end outs. If I ever did cover Vernon by putting 2 or even 3 guys into man on him, he would run for the first down with Russell Wilson. If I ever threw in a QB spy, I would not have enough pass rush or coverage on Vernon Davis. How in the WORLD do you stop passes to the tight end on here? I tried pretty much everything I could think of. It feels glitchy to me.
Two ways to stop this:

1) Jam the TE with Ed Reed but next time manual control Reed and hold RB up until he snaps the ball. This will jam the TE and prevent the quick pass.

2) If he's throwing out routes, go to Defensive adjustments before the ball is snapped, go to Individual Coverage, select the TE and then Shade him either to the left or right(depending on what side of the field he is on). This will ensure that the DB stays in perfect position to cover the route when he slants outwards.
SF) Sapphire Scottie Pippen
PF) '95-'96 Dennis Rodman
C) Hakeem Olajuwon
Old 09-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
Rookie

Try playing M2M with safety zones. User a safety and play the rover role. Take the slant away, then play a short zone. A safety will be fast enough to keep Wilson under wraps.

Its all about adjustments. LB zones in the middle with a safety m2m really helps me vs fast TEs.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »