Home

Why are LEs infinitely better at pass rushing compared to REs?

This is a discussion on Why are LEs infinitely better at pass rushing compared to REs? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #17
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Why are LEs infinitely better at pass rushing compared to REs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by il blood il
if im wrong here someone please tell me but im pretty sure the RT is the "power tackle" which means hes the better run blocking tackle and the LT is pass blocking tackle also known as "blindside" to the quarterback....with a lefty like vick, it would switch
Irony is:

They recorded a line with Sims re: the left being the right tackle being the power tackle that you run off, left is the blindside pass blocker. etc...

But the audio department forgot to tell the game engine guys, or vice versa...

Even Mr. Moore is trying to rectify by putting the LT at RT in many of the depth charts, so that the RT at least has a "fighting chance"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarantism
This has been in the game for years, no?

Yup, at least the LDT isn't a sack monster this year as well...

Bottom line:

Make sure your best pass blocking tackle is at the right and the other guy is at the left...

I also do that with my guards, but that's not as necessary this year, due to the LDT issue toning down...

There's football and there's Madden Football...

Knowing the difference will keep SOME of the frustration at bay...

Old 09-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #18
MVP

Tweeg's Arena

OVR: 12

This is one of the things people are talking about when they refer to "legacy" issues. It's been like this forever, and it always ignored when a new game is released.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #19
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP

I remind myself all-time sack leaders such as Kevin Greene, Reggie White, Michael Strahan, Ricky Jackson, and Trace Armstrong all played on the left side. That's 5 of the top 20 all-time sack leaders. Charles Haley spent several of his better seasons on the left, Howie Long notched 85 sacks from the left, Robert Mathis has 85-ish from the left, and those are just guys.

And then there's Gasteneau. Fastest to 100 sacks, all from the left.

So there's plenty of precedent for left side rushers dominating. The issue in M13 is that guys who are in the middle to lower tiers at their position can win at the point too often. I had 16 sacks with Ray McDonald--never should happen.

So what I do, is just move my best rusher to the left, placing my best against their worst. Or I switch them around from time to time through formation subs.
Just to piggy back off of this... Deacon Jones also came off of the left side too:

... but yes, it is a combination of the ratings of the RT and how the animations play out in Madden. With default slider settings, the LT will often lock into an animation that stone walls whoever he is blocking. You best chance is to blitz outside with a ROLB to force your RE to match up with the LG. Also, as others have said, use the "DE Flip" or "OLB flip" package substitution to balance it out. Also, try to do this more on 3rd downs to favor the RE/ROLB.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:11 AM   #20
Banned

Drtro's Arena

OVR: 6

The lack of LB sacks in Madden frustrates me so much. Even in 3-4 defenses, you rarely see a LB get a sack. Which IMO ruins playing teams like the Packers, Cowboys, or Redskins.

In my 8 Games with a Seahawks CCM, Clemons had 4 sacks, Bryant had 5, Mebane had 6, Irvin had 1, and KJ Wright had 2 which were both on that MLB man blitz play in Dime on play action.

I would love to see a complete restructure of defensive AI for Madden 14 rather than real life referees. "C'mon man"

Last edited by Drtro; 09-30-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:28 AM   #21
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drtro
The lack of LB sacks in Madden frustrates me so much. Even in 3-4 defenses, you rarely see a LB get a sack. Which IMO ruins playing teams like the Packers, Cowboys, or Redskins.

In my 8 Games with a Seahawks CCM, Clemons had 4 sacks, Bryant had 5, Mebane had 6, Irvin had 1, and KJ Wright had 2 which were both on that MLB man blitz play in Dime on play action.

I would love to see a complete restructure of defensive AI for Madden 14 rather than real life referees. "C'mon man"
It actually has 95% to do with the offense and line play. Not the defense.

The O-Line blocking is tied to the defensive play calling. You CANNOT fool the Offensive line in Madden. Well, that is to say unless you user blitz with someone that wasn't supposed to.

The Offensive Tackles don't kick slide and react to the defender. You will see the Tackles in a kick slide animation, but onlywhen they start a canned blocking animation with a pass rusher.

Now compare what you just saw/learned about real blocking with what you see here:

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2012, 12:29 AM   #22
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP
What I've noticed in previous years is that almost all RT have a very low PBFW rating, which makes them suckers for even moderately talented rushers.

You can certainly get pressure from the right side--Aldon Smith had 10 sacks in my Niners CCM--but you have to mess with some settings to get the LDE to play more "realistically."

I typically up the pass blocking to the point where I get 1-2 sacks a game on average. For some reason that helps balance things out for me.

With Madden, though, you kind of have to take the things that do against the grain of common sense and create a narrative in which those outcomes make more sense.

I remind myself all-time sack leaders such as Kevin Greene, Reggie White, Michael Strahan, Ricky Jackson, and Trace Armstrong all played on the left side. That's 5 of the top 20 all-time sack leaders. Charles Haley spent several of his better seasons on the left, Howie Long notched 85 sacks from the left, Robert Mathis has 85-ish from the left, and those are just guys.

And then there's Gasteneau. Fastest to 100 sacks, all from the left.

So there's plenty of precedent for left side rushers dominating. The issue in M13 is that guys who are in the middle to lower tiers at their position can win at the point too often. I had 16 sacks with Ray McDonald--never should happen.

So what I do, is just move my best rusher to the left, placing my best against their worst. Or I switch them around from time to time through formation subs.
I agree with your point about creating a narrative in your mind to make sense of it. It's the best advice I've read on this board. It's hard to do sometimes though!
Old 09-30-2012, 12:37 AM   #23
Banned

Drtro's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
It actually has 95% to do with the offense and line play. Not the defense.

The O-Line blocking is tied to the defensive play calling. You CANNOT fool the Offensive line in Madden. Well, that is to say unless you user blitz with someone that wasn't supposed to.

The Offensive Tackles don't kick slide and react to the defender. You will see the Tackles in a kick slide animation, but onlywhen they start a canned blocking animation with a pass rusher.

Now compare what you just saw/learned about real blocking with what you see here:

I'm on 8% battery life so I will take your word for it. Madden still needs major AI improvements. ( defensively and offensively) Tired of always having to scramble in order for the OL and HB to actually run to the side for screen plays. And Safeties all play the same.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 0

well historically the LTs the best passing protector on an online whle the RT is a run block so flipped on the D side thats gives the LE a weaker match up. sub guys in diff spots and see if they are still better or worse on theat side.

also consider the qB roll outs drop backs, scrambling side, blocking schemes etc

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »