Home

RTP or Scripted Animations

This is a discussion on RTP or Scripted Animations within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2012, 04:50 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: RTP or Scripted Animations

Really tho loved 2k5 to the fullest really wish i still had an xbox and that game lol, overall feel of that game was so awesome. back on topic tho I like RTP think it has great potential and it was implemented fairly decently considering the time they had to do so. it's a little wacky for sure but more haha wacky rather then frustrating wacky in my honest opinion. and sometimes some cool looking replays get pulled off learning to use the juke in this game makes running so fun lol. so yea i'm for RTP sorry a lil stoned kinda rambled i love this guy lol
Old 10-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #10
MVP

MattIntellect's Arena

OVR: 26

I don't think that Madden should revert back to totally scripted animations and delay its progress with real-time physics. Madden has been using scripted animations for over ten years. I think that RTP needs more time, specifically more years, to give a better assessment on how it compares with the animation system of the past. To me, the RTP vs. Scripted/Canned Animations comparison is a comparison too early to make. Yes, there are issues with the Infinity Engine in Madden 13. Some of them are glaring, but this is only year one of the new engine. Who knows how RTP will be over the course of ten years? As an above poster said, implementation is key.

If Madden is going to be more realistic, it will have to be more dynamic, and IMO, RTP is best in that regard.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 10

Its simple to me. The Euphoria physics engine combined with a 2k animation engine. Have RTP come into play on collusions. Have animations play out in non-contact situations. Have them string together effortlessly. I know that may never happen, but if 2k could make a NFL game, i'm guessing they would do something like this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #12
Pro

FinnZzgo's Arena

OVR: 11

See what people dont understand is that the "Infinity Engine "is only a add on to the the current core game engine that madden has been using for years...It only effects the animations all ready in the game.The problem with madden is the core game engine code.It will only change when they decide to rebuild or get a new core game engine to build on...EA tried to market the infinity engine as this whole new game engine when it reality is only another add on gimmick , sad to say..
Old 10-02-2012, 03:03 AM   #13
Rookie

reddogmaddogbul's Arena

OVR: 7

Real" real "Time physics anyday over AMs for me;when done right"this is what it looks like".

Mega
Football is in the building.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #14
MVP

OVR: 16

I would choose RTP, but when you look at other EA games, it took about a 3 year process and they are still tweaking it and adding to it. The first year of RTP vs. scripted plays might be a toss-up for some. I think RTP will look better after they add actual footwork and feels like you are controlling an actual person. That's the reason I'm not playing M13 right now. For example, in APF 2K8 you can't roll in the pocket, and just throw a strike from anywhere. If you try that, you will probably throw off your back foot, and throw a duck. If they do the right things in M14, OL / DL interaction, footplanting, real penalties and challenge system, improved commentary / presentation, then it'll be the real deal.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #15
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
I don't want to come across as saying "I told you so", because that's not what my intent is. However, I (and some other guys) was saying from the beginning that the physics engine was not going to be the great addition that many were thinking it would be. There are too many other problems with Madden's mechanics for the physics to simply fix it. The player movement is still horrendous, now with just folding limbs. Players glide and slide all over the place in order for the determined outcome to happen, regardless of player positioning.

There is nothing wrong with using animations. 2k football is living proof that animations without an RTP engine can be great. The physics in 2k football are still 10x more realistic than Madden. If I hit a running back from his side down by his knee, you will see his body contort and react in a realistic manner depending on where he was hit. In Madden, with this engine, you can hit a guy up high and his feet will go out from under him and he will "explode" backwards 5 yards. It looks comical at best.

There are also many problems with Madden's animation system. The players all move like robots. They move in unison very often and you will see linebackers turning and moving at the exact same time in the exact same animation. Really? In a 2012 game? Not to mention, everything moves so fast and twitchy. There is NOTHING about the players that makes me think they are alive. Another issue is the fact that the wrong animations happen given a certain circumstance. This is where the frustration from guys saying the game is "scripted" is coming from. You will see a guy turn around on a dime, leap 5 yards in the air and make a ridiculous circus catch interception when he had no business doing so. The game decided that he was intercepting the pass regardless of his positioning, where the throw was and what position the defense was in. That's why you see a lot of players arms going through receivers chests and things of that nature. This wreaks of crappy, sloppy implementation and it destroys any credibility Madden may have when attempting to replicate the NFL. Next year it will be the same thing. We will undoubtedly have changes to the line play, but all of the same twitchy, silly looking player movement will all be present. But hey, it's good enough right? Like a former manager on Tiger Woods golf once said, "The madden team could sh*t in a box and sell millions...".

I'm still baffled that the company that has the most advanced motion capture studio in the world can't get animations right.

I think EA would benefit by changing the studio that develops this game. It's an embarrassing product for those of us who desire a sim game. I'm looking at what 2k is doing with their NBA product and it literally makes me depressed to think about where we might be with football at this point.
This is exactly how I feel. Great post Taz!

You can have canned animations react exactly like RTP, you just have to add all the animations to react for all types of contact, and the nice thing is that it can look realistic and natural. Guys it was done with 2k football for years, and would have been even more detailed by now if they were able to continue working on a NFL game.

I can never see this happening with RTP in a football game. It has never been done prior to BB in a football, and there is a reason why RTP was never used in the past. It deos not work, and in time you will see that it will not work. I can only seeing it working if they combine the two if that is possible.

Some have mentioned that Madden had canned animations for years its time for a change. The problem was Madden did a bad job expanding with the canned animations, if they expanded on it like 2k did. RTP would not be something anyone would be looking for.

The only reason many feel RTP is need is because of the bad job EA did with the depth of their canned animations, but canned animations is better for the game. 2k3 Basketball canned animations and you can see how in depth they are with it. That no one would even bother to ask for RTP in that game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattIntellect
I don't think that Madden should revert back to totally scripted animations and delay its progress with real-time physics. Madden has been using scripted animations for over ten years. I think that RTP needs more time, specifically more years, to give a better assessment on how it compares with the animation system of the past. To me, the RTP vs. Scripted/Canned Animations comparison is a comparison too early to make. Yes, there are issues with the Infinity Engine in Madden 13. Some of them are glaring, but this is only year one of the new engine. Who knows how RTP will be over the course of ten years? As an above poster said, implementation is key.

If Madden is going to be more realistic, it will have to be more dynamic, and IMO, RTP is best in that regard.
Canned animations is better for a more dynamic Madden. RTP wont give us that. A better team with more effort with canned animations can give us a better dynamic game.

Don't be surprised if they drop the IE for canned animations in order to give us better line play.

I can't see how we can get better line play with RTP? I don't see it working at all.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »