Home

After all these years...

This is a discussion on After all these years... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2012, 12:43 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 49
Re: After all these years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjones
I have had it with the Madden franchise. I am sure that by the end of this, EA will have me banned... the last time that I made a review/comments about a Madden release, it was not good and I also tend not to post much because I will get the "change your sliders" comment. Nonetheless, here it goes.

First off, I have bought Madden since the beginning. I can tell you that EA doesn't put as much into the game and continues to sell the same versions with minor fixes and adds garbage features that usually are very poor in design:

A. NO COMPETITION
When 2k released NFL 2k5, and retailed it at launch for $20, it blew Madden's doors off. To fix this, they bought the NFL rights.
Theory: Instead of developing a decent game, buyout the rights and force everyone that wants an "NFL" game, will have to buy EA's garbage.

B. The game doesn't change - it gets worse EVERY YEAR.
EA will NEVER fix anything other than obvious bugs... maybe. Those fixed will be focal point in next year's release. A "FEATURE". All they do is add more garbage features that DO NOT WORK. How about actually fixing something..? Lucky to get 2 patches a year.

Agree with the bold

C. Madden 13 is absolute junk in my book. There is so much emphasis placed on the "physics" of the game.. I just love the realism of players falling all over the place like the drunk fans in the stands... Just another garbage feature.

Agree with bold

D. The HD blur... wow.. just wow. This is a feature or improvement...!?!?! That barely even works right....

Agree

E. I should not have to use sliders to hurt/improve my players/CPU abilities. you would think that a "development team" could improve the AI... at least a little bit. I mean, other companies seem to do a better job with their AI models...

Agree, instead of actual AI adjustment, we get stat handicaps sliders.

F. Can anyone tell me when the actually had a different playbook? I don't mean just a few formation changes. I will use the Titans for example, I find it hard to believe that Munchak has the same EXACT playbook as Jeff Fisher. At least mix them up a little better. I know that I can select a different playbook. BUT THEY ARE ALL STILL 95-97% THE SAME.

G. Robo-QB IS NOT GONE OR REDUCED.. I am tired of using, let's say, Brady or Rodgers and having the 3rd string QB be a 47 overall STUD.

I'll agree all qb's tend to play the same IMO. At least offline anyway

H. Why is my 90 OVR MLB not able to cover the filed like the CPU's 74 OVR MLB. I love the fact that a MLB that is 5'10" at 250LBS has like a 60" vertical and can out run ANY player on the field and cover ANY receiver 100% of the time.

Agree with above bold

I. Let's not talk about the way a safety or DB seems to just leave receivers WIDE OPEN... When my receiver is actually open, the ball is over/under thrown. Again, if the CPU has an open WR, you can bet that ball is on the money. If my throw is actually in the vicinity, he will drop it - and yes my WR has a 88 CTH rating. Must mean 88% drop rate.

I'll agree with this above bold with play it now games. CCM however is a breeze though. Win by 40+ every game on default all pro.

J. Can you get pancakes yet...? If you do, are they recorded...? Better yet, how is the blocking of your 90 OVR lineman with a high AWR?

Agree

There is just too much to add about Madden 13 or any of the other releases. It is pointless. If I say anything negative, I am the Anti-Christ. I guess that my first post will get me banned. Oh well. I know that there is someone out there that can at least half way agree.

One thing to learn from EA, the Madden model is a monopoly. Here is what you do. Make a good game, when you have competition, buy all of the rights then spend very little money in development and sell the same junk to everyone that will buy it and make them say thank you for ripping them off. If I sell you crap in a paper bag, then next year I put it in a plastic bag, smile and say thank you, and believe that it isn't crap in a bag. So, as a long time buyer of the Madden franchise..hrrmmm, monopoly.. I am disappointed to say the least.
Feel free to defend EA and Madden or tell me that I am wrong or that I should look at changing my settings... keep buying EA's garbage and whatever they tell you will be the next BIG release, improvement or patch..

I hope the NFL doesn't allow them to keep the rights. I could only assume that 2K has something MAGNIFICENT in the making. They did better in one year than EA has in 20+ years. Again, that would be Roger's decision and we all know how well his decision making is..

-cheers
Actually man, you have some great points that are spot on the money. Someone can disagree with you about not liking the game, but many of the points can't really be argued IMO.

I feel for you OP. Many of us have been there. I know some will view you as a complainer, or some other term, but I know exactly where your coming from. Not easy seeing your favorite sports play out like madden does. Best thing to do is either trade it in, or try and post threads to help the dev's improve it. I don't know if that will really help the dev's, but not much else we can do but not buy it I guess.

I said this before, IMO EA should be thankful for the "complainers" because the next step for them is being a "non buyer" lol. 10 million unit sales with Madden 07, 5 million with mafdden 12, i don't think they can afford to keep losing the "complainers". They need to find away to turn around the "complainers" opinions. It can be done, it has been done before. Madden was once my top football game(Madden 01-03 ps2).

Last edited by wheelman990; 09-30-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:43 AM   #10
Banned

MrNice's Arena

OVR: 0
at C. I love reading rants
Old 09-30-2012, 12:58 AM   #11
Banned

js3512's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drtro
ESPN(2K4) was great, but I don't get why people always talk about 2K5, it was nothing compared to 2K4 or even 2K3. 2K5 had horrible passing animations and defense was impossible to play effectively.
Sadly I was without a system for much of the XBox/PS2 generation (only got a PS2 along with 2k5 after the PS3 had already released) so I never got a chance to play 2K3 or 4. Don't have a PS2 to play em on anymore either so I guess I'll never be able to say for myself.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2012, 01:01 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNice
at C. I love reading rants
It's not that I don't think people should complain. I'm pissed at EA too. I just don't see the point in everyone making a thread about it. That's just me, maybe I'm alone there.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:08 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990
Actually man, you have some great points that are spot on the money. Someone can disagree with you about not liking the game, but many of the points can't really be argued IMO.

I feel for you OP. Many of us have been there. I know some will view you as a complainer, or some other term, but I know exactly where your coming from. Not easy seeing your favorite sports play out like madden does. Best thing to do is either trade it in, or try and post threads to help the dev's improve it. I don't know if that will really help the dev's, but not much else we can do but not buy it I guess.

I said this before, IMO EA should be thankful for the "complainers" because the next step for them is being a "non buyer" lol. 10 million unit sales with Madden 07, 5 million with mafdden 12, i don't think they can afford to keep losing the "complainers". They need to find away to turn around the "complainers" opinions. It can be done, it has been done before. Madden was once my top football game(Madden 01-03 ps2).
I hate to be a "complainer", but it is hard earned money that I know I would spend every year waiting for Madden to come out. It was hard to even get 2k5 when it came out, being a die hard Madden fan. EA has seriously dropped the ball on the forward progress of Madden. I feel like they only care about the bottom dollar. It isn't just Madden that they have come up short with.

As for the purchasing of rights... I personally think that this allows companies to create monopolies and should be handled just as Microsoft was with the EU. It takes away from "choices". I probably won't trade Madden so that I personally will not be responsible of putting someone through the experience
Old 09-30-2012, 01:11 AM   #14
Rookie

ozzy57's Arena

OVR: 2

I agree with some not all of this. I also agree that 100+ threads of this is a little much. But to anyone who thought that physics was going to be awesome this year they were foolish no game so far has added physics and had it be great in the first implementation of it.

If you really want to know whats wrong with Madden I suggest you listen to the Looman interview on IGN, opened my eyes on how sad this team really is. I said this in another topic but I'll say it again if you claim CCM is the future of sports gaming franchise mode then you should have at least made sure it worked and didnt have bugs to where the sliders don't work and not have 5 yard punts after the first quarter. If we still have this after what was suppose to be "2 years" of work (surprising since NHL has it this year) I don't expect much moving forward don't see how anyone could

Last edited by ozzy57; 09-30-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:19 AM   #15
Pro

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy57
I agree with some not all of this. I also agree that 100+ threads of this is a little much. But to anyone who thought that physics was going to be awesome this year they were foolish no game so far has added physics and had it be great in the first implementation of it.
I think the sheer number of people echoing these negative comments speaks for just how fed up people have grown. Part it also might have to do with the marketing of this game,it may be the most advertised Madden I have ever seen.

Certainly, just based on the track record none of us expected perfect RTP.

I think we all expected a better effort. Lets be honest, it doesn't exactally have the profound impact it should. It doesn't effect the line interactions, which is kinda of the core. It's turned injuries into something laughable and destroyed inside runs. We will pass over the post play stuff because it was actually addressed in the first patch, which should say something.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2012, 01:20 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy57
But to anyone who thought that physics was going to be awesome this year they were foolish no game so far has added physics and had it be great in the first implementation of it.
I totally agree. I really didn't expect much from it. My biggest problem has been the untouched problems from year to year. You would think that in at least one meeting, a dev would raise their hand and raise the question about the AI and the lack of player ratings making a difference. Then again, they probably did and are currently updating their resume on LinkedIn.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »