Home

Forced to retire? Really?

This is a discussion on Forced to retire? Really? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #9
Rookie

Titus001's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Forced to retire? Really?

You can turn coach firing on or off anytime in your season. Just make a save before that menu pops up for extensions/retire.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 9

agreed that firing means you have to retire, not a good way to do it at all. In NCAA's coaching carousel, if you're fired you get demoted to a smaller school or as an offensive coordinator somewhere else. It's rare in the NFL to see head coaches get canned and then retire or be out of the league, even guys who were unsuccessful head coaches like Mike Tice, Steve Spagnoula, or Tony Sporano were fired from their head coaching jobs, but now they're relatively successful as coordinators somewhere else. Heck, look at BIll Belichik, one of the most successful coaches in the league today, he was fired from Cleveland, then took coordinator jobs, and eventually became one of the most successful coaches of the last 10 years.

Pretty lame that your only option after losing your job is to retire and create a new coach.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 6

My record was lousy because I blew up the team. I used to like using the Fantasy Draft to draft a crap team and rebuild. Guess they had no patience with me. I do play with difficult settings to make if fun.

What peeved me is that you have no options once you are fired..Your done. I believe in some past maddens when you were fired you had the chance to take over an even worse team.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calipup
Well if we're looking at real life, coaches are fired all the time even if the team's players are "bad". Look at the 49ers, sure they have a great team, but as soon as they bring in Harbaugh they improve to a 13-3 record, jumping 5 wins. Adding a new coach can be the spark that the team needs to become good once again. Coaches have a lot to do with the team's record, as much as the players do.
Right, but that scenario would go to my point. If you have the 49ers and go 7-9 - that's worse than taking the Rams or Browns to 7-9, especially if the defense does horribly, given the stars on that side of the ball.

And if those coaches are fired - it should be more along owner personality instead of some randomness based solely on your record. Not even considering that wins/losses aren't always the case of a team/coach doing horribly. I mean your team is improving it's offensive and defensive ranks in things like turnover ratio and PPG but you get a couple bad breaks or injuries and lose a few more than "you should" I just think it should merit consideration for a fully-fleshed out system.

The performance of a team should be more than just W/L in a vacuum. It certainly is in real life.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:20 AM   #13
Rookie

mistabinker's Arena

OVR: 4

They prolly only let you retire because I dont think the game includes Off or Def coordinator positions
Old 10-01-2012, 04:36 AM   #14
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayb
oops..yeah i wa 4-12. 4-12 first 2 years.

My options is to "retire from the league" or "create new coach"..
im assuming retire means you are done...creat new coach appears to mean that you can continue with the league as a new coach, which is silly. I can just remake myself as the Skins coach again.
Going 16-32 during your first three years will get most NFL coaches canned. It's actually pretty realistic.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 0

The Redskins are better than an 4-12 team with their starting roster, which is probably part of the problem. If I had a coach who went 4-12 two seasons in a row I would probably fire them, especially if I was in charge of a franchise as eager as the Redskins to win.....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 5

I had an 8 year coaching career with the Bills, I made the playoffs every year, won my first superbowl in the 7th season, I have one more season left on my contract so the Bills offered me a Contract Extension and I declined it as I wanted to move onto my final year of the contract then leave for a new team after my 8th year with the Bills. Then in my 8th season I got hammered with injuries, resulting in missing the playoffs by one game. The Bills didnt want me back, and no other team wanted me so I was forced to retire! Thats not right, I had one year that I didnt make the playoffs, won a superbowl, am a level 4 coach with all the Faster player XP packages and the extra scouting. There were also multiple teams with position openings that year too so I somebody shouldve snatched me up. Coach FA really needs some work.

Dont say that I should just start a new coach in the same CCM because this career was about ME, I dont want to have to start a new one without all the perks I worked for and have a 0-0 record. Its just ridiculous that I missed the playoffs once in 8 years, won a superbowl, and I still cant get Hired. Either fix the Coach signing, or allow a coach to sim seasons until a team wants him.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »