Home

Forget The Hit Stick...Why Not Make The Right Stick "Tackle Stick"???

This is a discussion on Forget The Hit Stick...Why Not Make The Right Stick "Tackle Stick"??? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 10-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Forget The Hit Stick...Why Not Make The Right Stick "Tackle Stick"???

I like this idea a lot. They could also add the helmet to helmet penalty which could limit the amount the time you laugh your self at the ball carrier. Also with the new twitter feed and headlines setup, it would be nice to see....
So and so gets fined/suspend for helmet to helmet hit on such and such.

Last edited by DTKlive22; 10-01-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickwillis52
I think this is a good idea. I would also like the ability to reach for the ball carrier while being blocked. like instead of just having the left stick just disengage you completely which looks stupid imo, you should be able to reach with the left stick with an arm or somethin to maybe try and slow him down, or if your player is hella strong he would be able to grab the running back and stop him (see sopoaga and the numerous times he's dragged down steven jackson with one hand) this would just make the right analog stick the only way to completely disengage from a blocker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelPhenom
Yeah, launch is probably the wrong word to use to describe what I'm talking about. Basically like Jersey said more of the Hit Stick type tackles...more of a lead with the shoulder tackle to break up a pass play...or diving to take the legs out from under a ball carrier etc. Basically, the Right Stick by itself would be for form/wrap up tackles and the LT modifier and Right Stick would be for the other type tackles. I just think they could make better use of the Right Stick for tackling with Total Control Tackling. It would add some strategy on how you attack certain ball carriers. For instance, a back like Brandon Jacobs you would not want to tackle high and it's in your control with the right stick to wrap his legs up. If you try to tackle him high your chances of making the stop decrease greatly. If you try and tackle him at the waist you make ger druggg....just stuff like that.

Of course it would have to be some risk reward to it and I agree that they would have to redo or add to the juke system to counter it....and I totally understand the concerns of some when it comes to EA implementing new stuff in the game. But, I think it would be a great idea and addition.

Think about it like this...you're playing a User vs User game and your opponent is is trying to hit you low or wrap you up at the waist and you give them that nice stiff arm or juke...or you hurdle that low tackle attempt...or spin out of that high tackle. The offensive player would actually have to counter what the tackler is trying to do.
I love both of these ideas. Make strength and momentum matter...CBs should be hesitant to wrap up a bigger HB moving full speed, so they try to take out the legs or shove them out of bounds instead. Whereas bigger lineman can just grab hold and drag down.

The issue with these ideas is that fundamentals like gap assignments would need to be added into the game, and pursuit angles would need to be adjusted. The player who has outside contain can't always just shoot straight for the ballcarrier to take them down, they would have to play their assignment and take the outside angle away, forcing the ballcarrier back inside. Would casual Madden gamers who don't understand the intricacies and the Xs and Os of football be open to a more complex game?
Old 10-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 3

Great Idea. Its pretty obvious Tiburon has to do something with Madden's controls to make it fresh, but of course with more controls means better and more diverse animations, and we know how they fare in that department...

I like your setup. LT as the modifier for "big hits" then just have the RS with its 8 way movement for regular wrap up tackles.

And like others have said, when a weak tackling db meets a power running back, they shouldnt have a high success rate tackling high OR when using the modifier. However if Say a Patrick Willis type meets up with a Marion Barber type their odds of making a successful tackle should increase. This control would basically work like how the 2K shot stick does which factors in the shooters position on the court, the user's timing when releasing the shot, whether he is being guarded closely, and the player's ratings.

For Madden it would be factoring in user input(high/low regular tackle, big hit tackle) and the ratings of the players who are interacting. Along with the angle at which the tackle is being made and physics(player weight&velocity) for the correct animation to play out.

Theres so much more that can be done with video gaming football, it just needs to be done, and done RIGHT.

Would also love to see the ability to steer blocks. Say im a Haloti Ngata and im engaged in a block with the guard. Id love to have the ability to close off or even slightly lessen the size of a gap by using the left stick to not simply break off the block which is unrealistic but to move the lineman slightly or reposition my player slightly into a running lane. Holding RT should be used to break off of blocks.

If i lose the battle of positioning my player could possibly stick out an arm to slow the ball carrier down. If i won and closed off the gap the DL wouldnt necessarily break the block and make the tackle, but instead force the cpu/user to pick a different hole where my LB can possibly make a play.

Of course the outcome would be based on the players ratings, physics(positioning), and the user input.

I could go on for days let me stop there lol
Old 10-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #20
MVP

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10
Love those ideas chief! I'm with you...it can be done. Its just a matter of the sports company doing it.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 49

Quote:
EA should just get rid of the whole "Hit Stick" foolishness and make the Right Stick Total Control Tackling aka the "Tackle Stick". I propose the set up to be like this:

Right Stick- Tackle Stick

Right Stick Up- Tackle High
Right Stick Right- Waist Wrap Tackle
Right Stick Left-Ball Strip attempt tackle!!(slightly more chance fumble, but slightly more chance of a broken tackle!)
Right Stick Down- Leg Wrap Tackle

LT(Left Trigger) Modifier

LT + Right Stick Up- Launch Tackle High
LT + Right Stick Side- Launch Tackle Mid
LT + Right Stick Down- Launch Tackle Low
LT + RT+ Right Stick- HIT Stick Type Tackles

Get rid of the canned tackling and utilize the IE to coincide with Total Control Tackling!!!
I think this is a great idea, and allows for a ball strip tackle (EDITED ABOVE)which would be nice to see.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Love those ideas chief! I'm with you...it can be done. Its just a matter of the sports company doing it.
I see what you did there
Old 10-02-2012, 08:03 AM   #23
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Related point - I wish the pass rushing moves weren't the same controls as tackling. You flick the stick to engage and release from a blocker, and sometimes you shed the block, but it was kind of an ambiguous animation and you end up throwing a whiff hit stick as you try to go after the QB.

Also, with Madden's suction pass blocking, you try to get past a lineman on a block you expect, only to find it was a screen pass, you weren't going to get blocked and because you are stuck in a hit stick whiff, you also can't react to the screen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »