Home

What Will You Do Differently Next Year?

This is a discussion on What Will You Do Differently Next Year? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #65
3-4 Defense

roll2tide's Arena

OVR: 13
Cool Re: What Will You Do Differently Next Year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungodfather
I'm a strictly online player too.... I have yet to run into any offense that can't be stopped. In older maddens, this was not the case. Not saying I can shut anyone down, but I feel confident that by the second half, I can stop whatever "money" plays the other person is leaning on......I'm also seeing more people use different teams instead of just playing against the eagles and patriots everytime.

I agree 100% about seeing less money plays this year though there are a few things that work a lot. I run the 3-4, which everyone says doesn't work, and am typically a top 10 defense in all of my leagues (Using Bills, Fins, Browns, Rams, and Steelers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
....After 3 seasons in an online league, everyone is playing the exact same, regardless of personnel. Last year we had 89 overall rookie defensive ends go undrafted in season 3 because they had high finesse moves and low power moves because finess DEs are useless. Everyone just controls the MLB and covers the entire middle of the field because if he's fast he can. It becomes head to head arcade football. When I play APF 2k8, it's more of a strategy game, because I need to be aware of my athletes' abilities along with their matchups. In Madden, I can come out in my base defense because I can put Patrick Willis on a stud receiver and 7 out of 10 times he will blanket him.
I agree that EA should do something to help eliminate the issues you mention...Madden has always sorely lacked in the strategic department. But I'd also say that I wouldn't play that way...that's just a choice that I make. I always speedier DE's with low PWR/STR ratings in my 3-4 defense. I also play the CB/FS/SS/MLB/OLB positions depending on the play. I choose to mix up my plays and looks.....no matter what the rest of my league does.

I know that people want to win....I get that. But....in the past few days I have played 2 OT games. Lost one, won one. In both cases my opponents and I expressed how much we enjoyed the games and commended each other for good, sim play and for mixing it up on both sides of the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You're doing it wrong EA

Twitter roll2tide
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #66
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: What Will You Do Differently Next Year?

RGiles,

Could you elaborate on the CCM bugs that pushed you away?

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 10-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #67
Banned

OVR: 7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2ZYIdmdx14
Old 10-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #68
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Next year I'll probably stick to the Pro Football and other forums, rather than be called an 'EA Nut Hugger' and whatever else anyone who suggests anything at all positive about the title is called.

Issues aside I enjoy the game, like I've enjoyed the games before it. Participating in the mob here only makes me bitter and frustrated about a community I used to respect, and now there's too much hatred and noise among the good points to be made.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #69
Rookie

btvs's Arena

OVR: 6

We have to take a stand. I will not buy Madden 14. I won't do it. A lot has to change. Every year I also fall for the hype and every year I disappointed. The game is broken, nothing works right. 2 of my best friends (long time Madden fans) did not buy Madden 13, I couldn't understand why but now I know, they were right. I was wrong, EA got me again. I won't let happen next year.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:45 PM   #70
Rookie

brown19's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles36
Why not?

Here's my thing: M13 on the surface is a good game. It set out to be an improvement over M13 and the features themselves do make for a good game. What went wrong with M13 (at least thus far) is the regressions from M12 (CPU playcalling, presentation to a degree, auto subs/form subs not working, etc). You'd like to think that things that worked the year prior would continue working -- clearly, that wasn't the case.

If not for these steps back, I'd be playing the hell out of M13. As it stands, I can't. But that doesn't mean I've (or anyone else) has gone in hiding. But if I'm not enjoying the game, I really don't have a whole lot to contribute right now.
so how do you like ol/dl does it feel like football to you? do you get that feeling of trench war and dominate pass rushers wrecking havoc? it all begins here my friend..
Old 10-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #71
Pro

torpidbeaver's Arena

OVR: 2

I won't trust OS's review, for Madden or any other game. They don't seem to have me or my interests in mind when they review the games.

I won't go so far as to say that they're concerned that a bad review will get the site removed from EA's list of early reviewers or whatever, but it seems as if nearly every major "AAA" sports game released gets a minimum of an "8."

I guess this is a smaller part of the bigger point that other people already mentioned: I won't buy into the hype, whether from EA or from reviewers who judge the games, apparently, based on measurements that mean nothing to me.

This was my first time buying Madden in five or six years. So what will I do differently next year? Nothing; this was the year I did something different, and I'm kicking myself for finally buying into the OMG PHYSICS excitement.

I won't be wasting $65 on a game in which I only managed to finish 5 games, next year. But that's what I normally do.

Last edited by torpidbeaver; 10-02-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #72
MVP

TreFacTor's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Next year I'll probably stick to the Pro Football and other forums, rather than be called an 'EA Nut Hugger' and whatever else anyone who suggests anything at all positive about the title is called.

Issues aside I enjoy the game, like I've enjoyed the games before it. Participating in the mob here only makes me bitter and frustrated about a community I used to respect, and now there's too much hatred and noise among the good points to be made.
People should respect you for your high opinion of the game but you don't have to respect their warranted complaints? I once kicked someone out of my house for just that reason.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »