Home

Madden NFL 13 - The Little Things

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 13 - The Little Things within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #41
Baseball King

bobtrain's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Attention to detail and the "little things" in the Madden franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmdotFrisk
It has been said by Taz, Illustrator, Big FN Deal and more that there is an incredible lack of attention to detail and the little things in Madden.

I would like to hear from all of you the "little things" in the NFL that you would like to see in Madden as well as thoughts on where we fail to pay attention to details.

Yes I have read the boards and yes I have my own examples but the key is to hear from all of you in one thread.

Thanks to Big FN Deal for the idea to start this thread.

Thanks and let me know if you have questions. I will be following along.
I heard somewhere that the exclusive license has limited some elements of the game, but I remember back in 2003, 2004 Madden has player lockouts, tattoos on players, even helmets popped off. Those were PS and XBOX days. I just don't get why these details are lacking on next gen. I'd hope that the exclusive license really isn't limiting consumers from having a full game. :/

MLB: Milwaukee Brewers
NFL: Green Bay Packers
CFB: Minnesota Gophers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #42
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturzinator
To expand on the depth chart idea, break down the LBS to Sam, Will , Mike, and Jack backers and have them line up appropriately against the offensive formations they face.

These linebackers have distincly different skill sets you look for in those positions and should be separated as such.

Also, besides the practice squad, make the depth chart more fluid. Don't make me have to carry X number of guards, etc. There are no such requirements in the NFL. If I want to carry only a C and a bunch of tackles on my active roster, then let it be so.
Wanted to bold that part. And also, why not have scheme based depth charts for 4-3 versus 3-4 teams? I know that involves a lot of other coding and maybe it's too much to rip up and do, but it would be ideal.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #43
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

*Camera cuts and commentary not synced during pregame presentation
*the strange replay camera angles
*the lack of replay video for a challenge online
*no fluid coming out the Gatorade bottle in that cut scene
*the coin toss not being synced with the selection screen
*the players going through the endzone stands
*no mass subs/1st-2nd-3rd strings
*no formation subs in the team management options
*no multiple fonts/packages to denote different games(MNF, SNF, *Thursday Night Football). This is particularly a peeve considering they were able to change the scorebug for M13 during development so it would seem adding multiple visual packages wouldn't be difficult. http://www.operationsports.com/forum...sentation.html
*Display the names of the ALL defensive players when pulling the camera back presnap just like the offense. (credit to Spliff300)
*Have more than a handful of players lining up in the introduction/tunnel run out
*Stop having the camera focus on the holder after a successful field goal/xp instead of the kicker
*Stop having players just standing around doing nothing often frozen in a "squatting" pose.
*When fading to black denoting a time elapse don't come back to the same exact place it left off from to begin with. For example, when the first quarter ends and the presentation is simulating going to commercial, come back from "commercial" with a different screen shot, preferably of the crowd or into the commentator booth, not back to the same scene before as if no time has elapsed.
*Players coming on and off the field during play calls/substitutions.
*no NFL injury list http://www.nfl.com/injuries
*no NFL Inactive list for each game http://www.nfl.com/inactives
EDIT
*Display if the kickoff is an onside kick or automatically have the return team lineup to defend an onside kick if selected by the kicking team
*Have a pause/waiting preiod between preplay adjustments, while players actually communicate these adjustments, inherently realistically limiting the amount adjustments that can be carried out at the LOS by the play clock.
*no NFL transactions report http://www.nfl.com/transactions
*Have the refs throw actual flags and hats on the field
*Offsetting penalties

Last edited by Big FN Deal; 10-08-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #44
Baseball King

bobtrain's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by koszak27
- Players missing games for being arrested, suspended, injured outside of a game, getting sick, child births etc..

- PUP list

- Practice squad

- Bring back different agent types and marketing (movies/commercials/ads) from superstar mode to be carried into "player career"

- Bring back offensive/defensive coordinators and training staffs

- Bring back formation subs from the menu (I used to be able to choose which WR/TE would be on my kick coverage team)

Honestly though, there are a lot of main features that need to be fixed and should take precedent over adding "little things" i.e. schemes and sliders.
You make an excellent point about the practice squad. Why in the heck would Madden devs have a practice mode in M13 but have the same players. It's that right there that's a slap in the face. They ask us what details but don't even think through simple things. It's like we know more about football than the people making the game. Sorry, I'm just a old Madden gamer that's seen the series go backwards year after year. I'll just hope the team snaps into for M14.

MLB: Milwaukee Brewers
NFL: Green Bay Packers
CFB: Minnesota Gophers
Old 10-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #45
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3

Also on depth charts, allow more flexibility for who you can play where as a sub.

For example, when you need to dip into DE depth due to injury, you can put OLB's there, but not DT's. The limits on how you can play people at secondary positions make some sense in general (you don't get to put a SS at DT) but the options are still too limited.

When we had player editing we could get around this, so maybe if that returns, this is no longer an issue.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #46
Banned

OVR: 32

The little things:

Make tackling a little more dynamic and less dramatic. In otherwords, I would like to see more true to life tackling. I want to see smaller players go after large runner's legs and less of the up high tackling. You do this with blocking, cut blocks. Why can't we see that same type of interaction in tackling? Remove the WWF tackling, tone it down, so every hit is not a big hit. Sliders help with this somewhat.

Please work on the offensive line interaction. Make it more true to life and make weight and strength matter. A start would be removing the swim move or making it less effective. Powerful Pass rushers need to push the opposing linemen into the backfield. This occurs sometimes with defensive ends, but I would like to see it with the defensive tackles and linebackers as well.

Add the specific quarterback signature throwing motions back to the game as well. This makes a world of difference. You had it right with 2012.

Add 2012 replay system back to the game and expand upon it. We need to see replays from various camera angles. The 2013 replay system gets so repetitive and is just a time waster. You were headed in the right direction with the 2012 replays.

Ground the running backs and remove the floaty, twitchy running. Players need to footplant and momentum needs to matter. I also like the idea of adding an animation that allows the running back to put his hand on the back of another player and push the pile, or use it to bounce to the outside.

Fix the penalties - The penalty system has not worked properly for years. We need more types of penalties. Change clipping to block in the back. It erks me everytime I hear "clipping" Let's see some defensive and offensive pass interference calls please. I would also like to see unnecessary roughness penalties from time to time.

Add a halftime show similar to what 2k did with 2k5. I do not see why this has not been added. It adds great immersion to the game to see highlights from other games around the league.

Give us the ability to save as many replays as our hard drives allow. You may limit how many we can upload, that is understandable, but replays are a big deal to me. I love to save my franchise and review it over the course of the year. 10 replays a game is not enough.

Allow us to add our own stadiums sounds, similar to what NCAA did with their game. This would help us to build our own stadium environment.

Dynamic weather is possible, because there are other games that have accomplished this. I would love to play a game that started overcast, and ended with precipitation. Gosh, this would be huge. Weather needs to have more of an effect on game play other than slipping or sliding. Wind should have an effect on the game as well. Why even add a wind meter or windsocks to a game if wind isn't going to have an effect? In a rain or snow game, the ball needs to feel heavier and have less velocity. Have you ever thrown a wet football? It should be hard to pass in these games and it should be more difficult for players to hold onto the ball.

Add mouthpieces - I am not a huge equipment guy, but these should be in.

There is no need to work on running animations at this point. They actually need to regress back to what they were in 12. You had them perfect. Threshold needs to work like it did back in 12 as well.

Please make the sliders work so we can adjust the game to fit our liking.

Quit adding all the fluff to the games and give us the flexibilty back we had in 2012. Game play should be priority always.

Coaches need their headsets

Give us back the variety of camera angles we had in 12.

In game saves? Why Not?

Give us the ability to assign our matchups. We had it in 12

I would like to see more applicable highlights at the end of the game. If it is not possible for the CPU to assign which plays should be shown, give us the ability to mark certain plays or create a playlist of plays to be shown at the end of the game.

Special Teams needs to be worked hard. CPU returners need to be more effective, and should be able to use the field. I want to see more returners use the width of the field, and be more dangerous overall. Blocked punts and field goals need to return to the game. Special teams alone, can win or lose a game. This is a huge aspect of the game, that needs a lot of work.

Gosh, that is all I can think of for now:

Last edited by SECElit3; 10-02-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #47
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Doesn't exactly seem like the 'little things' are what's being posted in this thread, but I digress.

Signature animations are one of the little things that seem to be overlooked. They work OK now I believe, but still not as well as they have in years past. They need to be made a priority and expanded upon.

As far as little things go, I really don't think M12 gets the credit it deserved for it's attention to detail. The camera cuts were sweet, player equipment accuracy was top notch through the use of roster updates, and uniform/helmet degradation was on point -- among other things.

While the foundation of the game is stronger in M13, I thought M12 placed more emphasis on details.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #48
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

For the love of everything holy please bring back the replays for CCM games!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also would like to see the scoring summary in the boxscore! (When you exit the game...it's there in game)

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »