Home

Awareness: How Important is It?

This is a discussion on Awareness: How Important is It? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Awareness: How Important is It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by specopbookie
Great stuff guys. I'm beginning to think that Awareness is detrimental for the O-Line. I have a couple young studs with amazing block and strength ratings, but their Awareness is in the 50s and they slip their blocks frequently.
I wonder if AWR for OL helps them detect changes in directions and/or the move used by the DL. So a more aware lineman will detect the defender is using a rip or a swim or whatever and then get a "bonus" to sustain the block.

It would make sense - I mean if I'm blocking someone like Freeney, I would need to be able to react to what he's doing when he suddenly changes his rush angle, etc. If I can't see what he's planning while engaged, the move is going to beat me/make me cause a hold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by specopbookie
It's a cheap attribute to upgrade, so for any position, getting it to sub 80s shouldn't take long, however, I often wonder if I would be better off spending those points on Block Shedding and Play Recognition for my defense, and other intangibles for my offense. Maybe, just maybe, Awareness does matter alot, thus being the contributing factor to a player's OVR, and we're all over looking it. I can't wait to be able to edit my rosters and do some season long tests.
Depends the position on defense, imo.

For LBs and DBs, I would not skimp on AWR. Even if you user one of them, you'll still want the others to have a shot of making the correct play/have good ball awareness. LBs do need BSH too, and PRC (I think PRC is underweighted in OVR, unless it's as high as AWR), and you don't want them too clueless on coverage, though that is probably the one that can lag without too much harm (except on the MLB, especially if you run the classic Cover 2 where the MLB needs to take the deep middle zone or you like to leave the MLB to patrol the intermediate middle in your scheme while the Sam and Will bring pressure/cover man).

For the DL, AWR is still useful, but I would favor BSH and PRC over AWR. DL tend not to need to be super aware of the ball, mostly just ferocious about occupying blockers (so the LBs and Ss, the ones who need to be heavily ball aware can flow and penetrate) and breaking down the pocket so you can lighten up on the blitzes/use blitz as a change of pace instead of a requirement to get pressure.

On offense, QB, OL, and FB, I like solid AWR if I can get it. A good blocking RB can be big in protections (especially even how it can play out in Madden - I don't know if DTs are too good at pass rushing in M13, but in M12, it could be vital, especially until you wear them down. TE/WR - I'll take if I get it, but I think hands (CTH/CIT/SPC) and good routes are more important. Breakaway speed and blocking are nice bonuses (though I tend to run a short pass type offense with a few shots or bubble screens)

I do think it takes large differences to really matter on the field (sadly). Going from 70 to 80 - might not see a big deal, but 60 to 90 would probably show up consistently, especially depending on your slider settings.

Last edited by KBLover; 10-07-2012 at 08:01 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »