Home

Awareness: How Important is It?

This is a discussion on Awareness: How Important is It? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-06-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Awareness: How Important is It?

The Question: For What Positions Does Awareness Contribute to Field Play?

I know, I know; We've talked about this quite a bit. but I've searched the forums and can not find a definitive answer.

Firstly, we all know Awareness is the most substantial trait when determining Overall. But for players like me, we don't really care what the Overall of the player is, we just want him to play well.

After reading a little; the general theory is that Awareness for defensive positions is useless because of the Play Recognition attribute. Until EA flat out tells us, or an in depth study is conducted, we'll really never know. I'm going to avoid including Awareness in any of my decisions in my defensive players until a more valid source comes along and tells me otherwise.

The general consensus for Offensive players:

QBs: No effect if you're user controlling them; for simming, the ability to see receivers, make decisions quickly, and predict a defensive player's movement

HBs: No effect if you're user controlling them; For Simming; little to nothing again, Ball Carrier Vision is an HB's awareness

TE and WR: The time it takes to become available to receive a pass, the ability to react to an incoming pass, and ability to react to the defense while the ball is in the air

Oline: This, i Have NO IDEA. I cannot find any literature on anyone's theory's or small studies they've done to see how AWR affects the O-line. It has been stated a few times that it's perceived that AWR directly relates to the O-Line player's ability to see an incoming defender and make a block, or, if low awareness, miss a block entirely. Can anyone confirm this? If so, what is their pass and run block attributes for? How long they can hold a block? And Strength? Ability to push a defender back or keep a defender from pushing them back during a block possibly?

This is all I have for now. When we get the ability to edit players, I'll be conducting an AWR experiment to further get a grasp on what it does for each position.

Lastly, does anyone have any advice on boosting a player's Awareness? Should I for certain positions or just leave it alone entirely? Maybe a happy medium?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
Rookie

Second this discussion
Old 10-07-2012, 12:55 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: Awareness: How Important is It?

Yeah, I used to think AWR for WRs made them more aware of the sidelines and stuff like that but now with the trait for those types of catches I have no clue what it's really for. It's weird especially since it has such a dramatic effect on OVR ratings.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:51 AM   #4
Rookie

i always figured oline awareness helped them pickup blitz's
Old 10-07-2012, 02:15 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

AWR does make a difference, but don't confuse it with play recognition.

AWR on defense, based on my experience, is a players ability to read where the ball is at all times and make plays accordingly.

Play Recognition on the other hand, if high, allows for defenders to not get fooled on draws or play action as well as determine if it's run or pass, and because of this you see players with higher PR jumping routes or hitting running lanes because they know whats going on.

But both of those are purely for the CPU and have no effect when you're in control.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2012, 02:51 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

Awareness and PRC are what I try and improve most with my safeties, since it's rare that I ever control them... If I don't control a position, I care about their awareness, if I do, it can be low and I don't mind.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:44 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by specopbookie
The general consensus for Offensive players:

QBs: No effect if you're user controlling them; for simming, the ability to see receivers, make decisions quickly, and predict a defensive player's movement

HBs: No effect if you're user controlling them; For Simming; little to nothing again, Ball Carrier Vision is an HB's awareness

TE and WR: The time it takes to become available to receive a pass, the ability to react to an incoming pass, and ability to react to the defense while the ball is in the air

Oline: This, i Have NO IDEA. I cannot find any literature on anyone's theory's or small studies they've done to see how AWR affects the O-line. It has been stated a few times that it's perceived that AWR directly relates to the O-Line player's ability to see an incoming defender and make a block, or, if low awareness, miss a block entirely. Can anyone confirm this? If so, what is their pass and run block attributes for? How long they can hold a block? And Strength? Ability to push a defender back or keep a defender from pushing them back during a block possibly?
Must be different in M13.

In M12 - QB AWR impacted me in what "I could get away with" as well as how well the defenders reacted to my passes (that ball awareness someone else mentioned). Seemed like my QB AWR vs defender(s) AWR. I know when I switched to my high AWR but otherwise raw young QB in my Tampa franchise, I could "get away with" more throws than when I had an aging Gabbert, who had better accuracy, but like half (almost literally) the AWR.

For HBs - seemed to impact blocking (picking up blitzes/free runners/giving help and blocking more "correctly" on run plays and downfield for a ball carrier. BCV does help the back read space/daylight for CPU runners. For both - either BCV/AWR might give a "boost" to the OL/blockers, much like the KR rating.

For TE/WR - Maybe ball awareness like defenders? Do more aware receivers read space better? Make better reads on option routes? Comeback to the QB/read space when the QB is scrambling?

In M12 - OL awareness seemed to impact blitz pickup and moving to make the block (i.e. "I need to block this guy", then it was said PBF determined if they could get there and PBS determined if they could hold the block - and likewise for run plays, except using RBS/F, of course).

Last edited by KBLover; 10-07-2012 at 03:46 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
Rookie

Great stuff guys. I'm beginning to think that Awareness is detrimental for the O-Line. I have a couple young studs with amazing block and strength ratings, but their Awareness is in the 50s and they slip their blocks frequently. It's a cheap attribute to upgrade, so for any position, getting it to sub 80s shouldn't take long, however, I often wonder if I would be better off spending those points on Block Shedding and Play Recognition for my defense, and other intangibles for my offense. Maybe, just maybe, Awareness does matter alot, thus being the contributing factor to a player's OVR, and we're all over looking it. I can't wait to be able to edit my rosters and do some season long tests.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »