Home

Running the football

This is a discussion on Running the football within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-10-2012, 03:00 AM   #1
Rookie

MryumNug's Arena

OVR: 0
Running the football

I had plenty of success in M12 running the ball but this year I am just flat out struggling. I don't use the sprint button to much but I tend to hit my blockers a lot even if I am not trying to just move forward. I also use the slide blocking, with that said anyone have any tips?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
Rookie

Jsan915's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Running the football

I noticed that slide blocking doesnt do anything for the running game. All you have to do is go into practice and pick a standard defensive play and keep running outside runs like stretches and u will see that line adjustments dont matter. If u also put your TE or WR to block left or right, that doesnt make a difference neither.

Best thing for runnig is looking at the defenses depth chart and see who is their worst defensive linemen (lowest block shedding) and run it at that linemen all day(mix up too keep the D guessing). Also look at the linebackers to see if their blitzing once u hike the ball. I run a lot of power O cause I can take it inside or outside to pick up some good yards. If the LB are blitzing u can probably take it to the outside.

The last thing that can help u is to have a good blocking fullback and a good blocking TE. The rams have Matthew Mulligan and I always run it to his side.

Just look for gaps in the D, if their crowding the line then dont run it to that side. Running into your linemen is always going to happen but just keep running and u will eventualy get use to running the ball.

Last edited by Jsan915; 10-10-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
Pro

BTownSlinger's Arena

OVR: 5

I haven't had any luck, either.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
Rookie

Try using a OT as a TE sometimes, especially if you have a bad blocking TE. My problem was defenders shedding edge blocks, so I threw an extra O Lineman out there.

Also try and motion effectively. I often motion FBs and TEs into better positions, especially on outside runs.

Run out of shotgun!! Not only do they have less LBs on the field, they're usually in a pass defense formation. Motioning a tight end or slot WR away from the LOS, to bring a defender out of the box, is a great tactic. A draw play in this situation is ideal.

This will make them keep LBs in to defend the run, opening the pass as well.

Run out of every formation, use heavy sets(tackles for TEs), and call plays that fit your RB style.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
Rookie

I am not having any trouble running. In my online CCM on all madden (with custom sliders) I have double the yards of any other RB in the league through 4 weeks. I do use slide blocking and it seems to be very effective for me.

If you are running into your blockers a lot, try more outside runs. Your RB is probably too fast to run effectively inside. Stretch, power, and counter runs are the bread and butter plays.

I also disagree with Kwazi. If you motion your FB or TE, you are pretty much telling the defense (if it's a human player) that it is a run to that side.

Speed is king when it comes to running the ball. Even 5 points of speed can make a world of difference.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

I find it's easier to get big chunks of yards running outside the tackles. Off tackle, hb toss, and power O are usually pretty solid run plays. I also run a fair amount of draw plays but have to audible out of half of them. There are some games though that for whatever reason I just can't move the ball on the ground. Those are few and far between.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
Rookie

Singlebacks-Dice. I can run my whole offense through this. 4 WRs and a running back. HB Dive. If they line up on the WRs you have a one on one matchup with whatever interior lineman breaks free and the linebacker. If they load up the box pass to open slot guys.

I try to run towards my blockers every time unless they overload my blockers side. I've had a lot of success with stretch plays even without speedy guys. Consider if this is a CCM investing in fight for extra yards. Also if you are doing a move when you get hit you might gain some more yards. Also hurdling is necessary.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »