Home

Only being able to negotiate contracts in last year ruins game

This is a discussion on Only being able to negotiate contracts in last year ruins game within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #17
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Only being able to negotiate contracts in last year ruins game

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebizarrojerry
If a player is in his 2nd to last year, you're telling me they never would sign a new contract a year early?

Of course they do.

And I don't believe the NFL has only one way to negotiate a contract, every contract in the game is back loaded. What if I want to spread the cost over all seasons? I can't do that in this game.

Also some contracts had to be renegotiated for a few teams over the cap. Example:

http://detroit.sbnation.com/2012/9/3...ry-cap-penalty

Prior to the start of the 2012 league year, the Lions restructured some contracts to make sure they were under the salary cap, and it's likely they'll be able to do something like that again. Trading or releasing a player is likely a last resort for them.
I agree on the part that teams work out extensions earlier than just the last year of a contract sometimes, but most of the time, teams do contract extensions in the last year. I understand your frustration about the back loading of contracts. I have quite a bit of cap space right now so I would love to go ahead and pay out some of this bonus money to some of these players right now while I know I have it rather than wait til later where, hopefully, I have much better players and have to pay alot more when it comes to contracts. The thing you have to remember here is not everyone is a certified cap-ologist. EA has to make it so that any average Joe can figure out how to resign his people. For the first year of CC, I think it's fine like this. However, as CC grows and matures I would definitely like to see more options for contract structures. As for waiting til the last year to work out contract extensions, I have no problem with that. Like I said before, yes some teams may work out extensions early for some people, but the majority of extensions are done in the final year of the contract or after the season of the final year of the contract. Most of the time when you see someone sign an extension early it's a superstar player or something that the team doesn't want to have to worry about losing. In the future, EA could add an option to restructure contracts where you could move money around to make your contracts more cap friendly but for right now, I'm ok with this. Just don't sign your guys to big/long *** contracts and you should be ok. Take the Steelers/ Patriots approach to signing players.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #18
Hall Of Fame

TJdaSportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
I have to dump a star player every other year as the Lions just to keep Stafford and Johnson signed.
Doesn't sound like a very well put together team to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsin
That is sort of the point of a salary cap isn't it, you're not really supposed to have a probowler at every position...
Bingo!

Quote:
I have Stafford, Johnson, Suh, Tulloch. That's it.
So 3 Pro Bowlers? 3 Pro Bowlers X 16 NFC Teams = 50 Pro Bowlers...so you're complaining that your team has...an average number of pro bowlers on the squad?
Old 10-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #19
Banned

js3512's Arena

OVR: 5

LMAO that someone would actually think something like this RUINS the game. Does this effect actual gameplay any whatsoever? Didn't think so... therefore it's far from a game breaker.

Would it be nice to have the option, sure, but there's no way in h*ll I would consider an issue like this ruining the game. People sure love to toss that phrase around carelessly around here.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 1

stop complaining that you cant sign 4 players to 14mil+/year deals .. im using the colts in online ccm i got 30+ mil cap space but i also have alot of rookies coming up to be resigned and i know i cant afford to sign any other big names for the next 2 yrs if i remotely wanna keep any of my players i drafted... seems to me that ppl want madden to be super easy so they dont have to think about how much they spend on a player!!!
Old 10-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #21
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
Umm what you're describing is exactly the point of a salary cap. I suggest you release one of those big name players to get room. Teams deal with this stuff everyday. Do you think they like cutting good players? Hell, the Raiders had to cut one of our best defensive players from last year(Kamerion Wimbley) for this very reason. You keep talking about just resigning guys to extend the deal, but that's not what happens in real life. Sure they may restructure a contract so it's easier on the cap, but they aren't just signing extensions like you seem to suggest. And there are no guarantees that a player will be willing to restructure which was the case with Kam Wimbley. He got cut 1 yr into a 5 year deal because of the very thing your talking about. I'm sure the Raiders would have loved to have his services this year. Lord knows we need all the help we can get.
Wanna talk about cutting good players?
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »