Home

Challenge seems flawed

This is a discussion on Challenge seems flawed within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Challenge seems flawed

Anyone else find challenging a play in M13 to be a waste of a timeout.

I have had 3 in a row where the receiver CLEARLY did not make the reception in bounds, absolutely no doubt about it, and had all 3 upheld.

It seems to work opposite of how it should. Seems I saw similar in some earlier version of M also.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
Pro

ChiTownKid's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Challenge seems flawed

Personally, I never understood the idea of having a challenge system in a football video game. I understand the idea of wanting to duplicate the NFL, and all the facets of it, but errors in officiating? In real football, so much time and energy is being spent on making sure that officiating is done right, to remove errors, so why the hell would you want to REPLICATE something that's trying to be AVOIDED?

The game should just call it right the first time. Why introduce a simulation of human error when that element of human error is something that the NFL is trying to eradicate? Especially since it's NEVER been done right in Madden. So what we get is errors in a system trying to simulate errors, and one that punishes you when you identify the error instead of rewarding you, which was the whole point in the first place.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
Banned

balcobomber25's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeefeholmes
Anyone else find challenging a play in M13 to be a waste of a timeout.

I have had 3 in a row where the receiver CLEARLY did not make the reception in bounds, absolutely no doubt about it, and had all 3 upheld.

It seems to work opposite of how it should. Seems I saw similar in some earlier version of M also.

Its the same challenge system as previous Madden's, just like the penalty system. Both of those need a major overhual. I have given up on trying to win challenges, I have never had one overtuned even when it was clearly obvious that my player was in bounds etc.

The penalty system is an even bigger joke, its the same system carried over year after year. Theres close to 50 penalites in the NFL rule book, we have been stuck with the same 10 throughout the years. I wouldn't mind if they actually worked correctly.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 0

Challenges have been flawed for ages, just add it to the list. They don't challenge the whole play, just whatever the game thinks needs to be looked at, and often get it wrong.

You can oft notice a "hitch" in the frames when a "official mistake" is made, so you know to challenge that play. Otherwise, don't bother.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #5
Banned

Stampede_94's Arena

OVR: 11

I wish Roger Goodell played this game and was an actual fan of video games, we might see him light a fire under Tiburon to fix what's wrong, and there's plenty of it. I still make the most that I can out of this game, but it's very hard to with so many more things they could have given us, but don't.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownKid
Personally, I never understood the idea of having a challenge system in a football video game. I understand the idea of wanting to duplicate the NFL, and all the facets of it, but errors in officiating? In real football, so much time and energy is being spent on making sure that officiating is done right, to remove errors, so why the hell would you want to REPLICATE something that's trying to be AVOIDED?

The game should just call it right the first time. Why introduce a simulation of human error when that element of human error is something that the NFL is trying to eradicate? Especially since it's NEVER been done right in Madden. So what we get is errors in a system trying to simulate errors, and one that punishes you when you identify the error instead of rewarding you, which was the whole point in the first place.

Chuckle, that makes a lot of sense actually.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
Rookie

To other observations, yes I thought so. There have been things for eons they have never fixed.

Seems another is the AI passing to the sidelines, guy is wide open but AI QB often throws a stink bomb, sailing over his head, or the receiver catches but has no chance of staying in bounds etc.

KO returns and PR same thing for years. Almost always get hammered immediately. I have had the rare occasion of running it all the way back, or getting a substantial gain, but its much more rare than it is in real FB. In Madden you can pretty much count on the kick returner to get hammered quickly.

One has to wonder why they cannot, or is it - do not, fix some of this stuff?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »