Home

Beating The Press?

This is a discussion on Beating The Press? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
MVP

Gritblitzer's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Beating The Press?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC
I play the Bills almost exclusively online, and I've found a couple ways to beat the press. The biggest thing IMO is that I have to pass from spread sets. The Bills are just flat out not good enough to come out in a power set and ask Donald Jones to beat a corner and a safety. So that would be my first suggestion: get some spread sets.

The next would be to try moving your guys around to get favorable matchups. Bowe vs. their #1 corner might present an issue, but move him into the slot vs. their #3 and he should get a cleaner release.

But the biggest IMO would be to figure out what they are running behind the press. Are the safeties in a cover 2 shell? That typically means that they are sticking to their base rush package and you can afford to let a longer route develop. In that instance, the key to beating the press is patience. If the safeties are in man, that usually means a blitz, so you've gotta be quicker with the ball, but that also means that whomever they are covering - be it a RB/TE/Slot WR - isn't being bumped and so you can get a clean release off the LOS.
Right. That seems to make sense, I guess that's where the tight ends come in a lot. I may try moving Julio Jones and Dwayne Bowe in and out of the slot here and there and see what I can come up with. I usually go over 100 rush yards with Turner, but I simply can't rush through the 1st half and into the second because they start shutting it down. If I can just get my pass game opened up a tiny bit I'll be golden.

To put it in perspective, we are in our second season. I started last season 5-0. We are in week 2 now, I am 1-12 since then. Everyone invested heavily in press corners. I haven't got that privilege with Asante Samuel and Dunta Robinson as my 1 and 2.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #10
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

The one thing I forgot to add are routes with pre-snap motion (green on the play sheet). A lot of them motion a WR behind another WR so the moving one can't often be bumped at the line.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #11
MVP

Gritblitzer's Arena

OVR: 1

Motion routes don't work because even when they aren't bumped the corners stay RIGHT with my receiver no matter what routes I'm running.

I've found one thing to do if I need to get a lot of yards (After toying this morning) was take my outside WR and give him a fade route toward the outside edge. Then motion him to the opposite side of the field where he ends up inside, this will make him fade toward the middle. It's an un-bumpable route and he seems to get open almost every time if you give him a couple seconds to get downfield. Usually Bowe that I do that with.

I also found that it's probably best I just keep running the ball and using tight ends as a crutch so to speak. I have found that if I swap my WR into the tight end slot in shotgun formations and make them 4 WR sets instead of 3 WR 1 TE, that works as well because the corner won't play man. Feels cheesey, but seems to be the only way to beat it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 6

The issue with ONLINE CCM is that it does not play the same as ONLINE LOBBY/Play Now. The bump is way more effective with ONLINE CCM. Was hoping the patch fixed this difference, but it made very little difference. There are no Sliders for this. I have Andre Johnson (Texans), Roddy White and Julio Jones (Falcons) in 2 leagues....none can beat the bump on the outside.

I personally think is a bug has to do with the whole scheme feature.

Last edited by Mr.Scarface; 10-22-2012 at 02:57 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »