Home

The Vision Cone was the most revolutionary sports video game feature EVER

This is a discussion on The Vision Cone was the most revolutionary sports video game feature EVER within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
Rookie

Jim Jones's Arena

OVR: 5
The Vision Cone was the most revolutionary sports video game feature EVER

No knock on the current Madden team, who I do believe put out a very good football game this year, but the Vision Cone was truly a revolutionary, ahead of its time concept that came from a team that truly wanted to make the game better and most importantly, MORE CHALLENGING for sim players. No feature before or since has asked more of its users than that feature did.

The fact of the matter is, that when you are controlling the CPU QB, it's nearly impossible to feel the difference between a great QB and a mediocre QB. Sure, take a 99 overall like Aaron Rodgers and compare him to Tavaris Jackson and you see a difference, but in general if you are controlling the QB in a football game, the QB is going to perform about as well as you perform.

It's a shame that so many people complained and got it taken out. I'm sorry to make another thread about it as I know there have been many over the years, but I haven't been following them that closely. Has EA/Madden devs ever commented about it publicly in recent years? Is there any shot of it ever being introduced back into the game, even as a secondary option that users can toggle on or off depending on if they want to use it or not?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
Rookie

stp2081's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: The Vision Cone was the most revolutionary sports video game feature EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jones
Has EA/Madden devs ever commented about it publicly in recent years? Is there any shot of it ever being introduced back into the game, even as a secondary option that users can toggle on or off depending on if they want to use it or not?
Unfortunately, no, no, and no.

EDIT: The most recent comment, AFAIK, was an April 1, 2009 "joke" about a new version of the cone being put back into the game. http://www.operationsports.com/forum...back-play.html

Last edited by stp2081; 10-22-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
Pro

kiddlex's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
No knock on the current Madden team, who I do believe put out a very good football game this year, but the Vision Cone was truly a revolutionary, ahead of its time concept that came from a team that truly wanted to make the game better and most importantly, MORE CHALLENGING for sim players. No feature before or since has asked more of its users than that feature did.

The fact of the matter is, that when you are controlling the CPU QB, it's nearly impossible to feel the difference between a great QB and a mediocre QB. Sure, take a 99 overall like Aaron Rodgers and compare him to Tavaris Jackson and you see a difference, but in general if you are controlling the QB in a football game, the QB is going to perform about as well as you perform.

It's a shame that so many people complained and got it taken out. I'm sorry to make another thread about it as I know there have been many over the years, but I haven't been following them that closely. Has EA/Madden devs ever commented about it publicly in recent years? Is there any shot of it ever being introduced back into the game, even as a secondary option that users can toggle on or off depending on if they want to use it or not?
I agree with you. The vision cone was amazing, and better represented the differences between a Manning and a Cassell. If you watch an nfl game many times you will see open guys missed because as the qb goes through the progressions he never looks in that direction. Imagine how much xp youd use trying to get qb awareness up to increase the cone size.

Id love to see it come back for us sim players.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

There has been plenty of discussion on this subject the last few years.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...iscussion.html

It was a polorizing feature that I doubt will make a comeback.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
Rookie

Jim Jones's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddlex
I agree with you. The vision cone was amazing, and better represented the differences between a Manning and a Cassell. If you watch an nfl game many times you will see open guys missed because as the qb goes through the progressions he never looks in that direction. Imagine how much xp youd use trying to get qb awareness up to increase the cone size.

Id love to see it come back for us sim players.
This is a great point. I guarantee that if you fire up M13 right now, you can't really see a difference between using Peyton Manning or Matt Cassel.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
This is a great point. I guarantee that if you fire up M13 right now, you can't really see a difference between using Peyton Manning or Matt Cassel.
I think it hinges more on the settings. If you're playing on rookie, you're not going to see a huge difference. Heck, if you're playing on All Pro you're not going to see a huge difference. If you get a nice set of settings, you'll definitely be able to tell the difference.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
Banned

js3512's Arena

The problem with the vision cone was simply that it was ahead of its time. I think if it came out today for the first time it be received much better. Personally, and I don't like motion controls much, but I'd like to see the cone brought back using the kinect and ps move camera to track the users eyes. Where your eyes go, the cone goes, when you spot someone open, you simply throw. You could also make defenses read qbs eyes using this.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
There has been plenty of discussion on this subject the last few years.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...iscussion.html

It was a polarizing feature that I doubt will make a comeback.
OS has a few vocal supporters of the feature, but I wouldn't call vision cone polarizing. If 85-90% of the people playing a game hate a feature then universally despised is a better categorization.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »