Home

Preseason and the alleged Roster Bug

This is a discussion on Preseason and the alleged Roster Bug within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-01-2003, 04:57 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Preseason and the alleged Roster Bug

Is it true that there's a roster bug in the PS2 Madden? Supposedly, in the second season of franchise mode, the computer organizes its regular season depth chart as though it were preseason. That means all the star players become 3rd stringers, while rookies get a lot of playing time.

Also, is there any drawback to *not* playing preseason games? I know rookies are supposed to improve when they play in preseason. Do I get the same effect if I simply sim through the entire preseason instead of actually playing?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2003, 07:43 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Preseason and the alleged Roster Bug

Quote:

platic said:
Is it true that there's a roster bug in the PS2 Madden? Supposedly, in the second season of franchise mode, the computer organizes its regular season depth chart as though it were preseason. That means all the star players become 3rd stringers, while rookies get a lot of playing time.[/i]

It's not really a "bug", per se, since it's intentional programming on EA's part. They're trying to make the CPU develop their teams for the future by playing young players over better veterans, but they just went overboard with it. Rather than require, say, a 5-point difference before a young player gets put ahead of a veteran on the depth chart, it only requires like a 10-15 point difference. So a 70 rated rookie will play ahead of an 85 rated veteran, where it should be something like an 80 rated rookie playing ahead of an 85 rated vet.

Rookie progression wouldn't be such a problem if (a) the game assumed that players progress off the field as well, especially young ones, as they do in real life, and (b) there was a realistic number of injuries in the game so that players lower on the DC would naturally get more playing time. Unfortunately the [censored you naughty boy] both of these things up.

Quote:

Also, is there any drawback to *not* playing preseason games? I know rookies are supposed to improve when they play in preseason. Do I get the same effect if I simply sim through the entire preseason instead of actually playing?

Yes, they'll still progress if you sim the games. I normally adjust my DC at the beginning of the preseason to take all my veterans off, to give the young players more playing time.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:15 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Preseason and the alleged Roster Bug

I think the game should ban rookie QBs from starting (at least for the CPU teams) unless the rookie QB is rated higher than the inferior veteran or if they're the same.

IF, during the season, the veteran stinks it up, then the CPU can put the rookie in later on in the season. There's no way Daunte Culpepper would be sitting on the bench in favor of a rookie Chris Rix?! Hello? Is that even logical?!

For the record, Daunte was 88, Rix was in the high 70s and Daunte ain't old yet.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »