Home

How does the AI handle 3-4 defenses?

This is a discussion on How does the AI handle 3-4 defenses? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 11-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
How does the AI handle 3-4 defenses?

I don't have Madden 13, so I wanted to know how the AI handles teams with a 3-4 defense. I assume it isn't any different that before, but it's worth asking.

In Madden 12, the game treats every team like a 4-3 team. If I simulate the preseason, the AI will keep a pile of DTs and Cut all but 2 MLBs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: How does the AI handle 3-4 defenses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
I don't have Madden 13, so I wanted to know how the AI handles teams with a 3-4 defense. I assume it isn't any different that before, but it's worth asking.

In Madden 12, the game treats every team like a 4-3 team. If I simulate the preseason, the AI will keep a pile of DTs and Cut all but 2 MLBs.
Much better, not perfect but way better than 12.
I have seen cpu teams switch to 34 and actually cut or try to trade off smaller OLBs. They will use smaller DTs at NT until an actual NT becomes available.

Biggest improvements are in gameplay. Left side still overpowered but LBs get to the QB way more than Dline. Blocking animations still not right but Oline will double up on a NT, even seen em double an end on stunts. Looks funny cuz only one olineman actually engages while the other just stands there but still an improvement. LB gap assignments/awareness still mostly wrong.

Legacy issues remain but after 3 seasons of my Steelers franchise I can honestly say 34 teams play like they should as do 43 teams. I even drafted a low ovr 43 DT late in my first draft, moved him to 2nd string RE and saw 7 point increase in ovr rating!!
Old 11-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtguru
Much better, not perfect but way better than 12.
I have seen cpu teams switch to 34 and actually cut or try to trade off smaller OLBs. They will use smaller DTs at NT until an actual NT becomes available.

Biggest improvements are in gameplay. Left side still overpowered but LBs get to the QB way more than Dline. Blocking animations still not right but Oline will double up on a NT, even seen em double an end on stunts. Looks funny cuz only one olineman actually engages while the other just stands there but still an improvement. LB gap assignments/awareness still mostly wrong.

Legacy issues remain but after 3 seasons of my Steelers franchise I can honestly say 34 teams play like they should as do 43 teams. I even drafted a low ovr 43 DT late in my first draft, moved him to 2nd string RE and saw 7 point increase in ovr rating!!

Nice breakdown and nice to see steps in the right direction, both on and off the field.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:10 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 1

for me ive always played 3-4. m13 is better than m12 (this in coach mode, i tended to be nt in m12). my re/nt get some tackles/pressure which didnt happen without manual intervantion last year. le still gets all the glory. for example i had to switch justin smith to le to hit his target. also imo the 2nd mlb (bowman) gets more tackles than willis, seems thats like rl.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

3-4 by far IMO has become the worse defense in the game, specifically for two player matches. I'm not saying it is useless, but when it comes to what matters most in this game, namely getting pressure, you will find getting pressure is much easier with 43, 46, Nickel Normal, Dime Normal, Dime Flat, Wide 9. The best thing out of the 3-4 playbooks IMO are Nickel 2-4-5 and Nickel 33.

Last edited by LBzrule; 11-07-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

I fell in love with the 46 in the latter years of my franchise.

I like me some 2-4-5 and 3-3-5, too
Old 11-08-2012, 04:46 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 1

maybe its me and the fact the 9ers lbers are good (with Haralson behind) but i cause of lot of throw aways by good qbs like Brady because im in his face. ive never liked 4-3 or 46 but that maybe because im a brit and can connect easier with backers to rugby

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »