Home

How did Madden NFL 13 get an 8.5 rating here?

This is a discussion on How did Madden NFL 13 get an 8.5 rating here? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #9
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: How did Madden NFL 13 get an 8.5 rating here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll2tide
Any time a site has some kind of access or relationship to the game devs (like the devs posting here and the gamechangers) the review of said game will always be inflated. This game wasn't an 8.5 out of the box and it isn't now. When '14 comes out......read the OS review....and then cut 1-2 points from it. Game reviewing is about like movie reviews these days.....if it's not user reviews then it's biased and maybe bought and paid for.

That's pure speculation on your part, especially when there are mods here that "tell it like it is."

If OS isn't in EA's pockets, they are in 2k's pockets and vice versa.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #10
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
OS wasn't the Lone Ranger in giving out decent grades, others had it 9.0 or higher.

It's easy to sit back and state after 2.5 months of playing a game that it deserves such and such a mark, not the 8.5 the site gave out trying to make a deadline for the public.
This is why I constantly state that in order to get a true feeling for a SPORTS game it takes about 2-4 weeks of time. Once everything settles you can really gauge if the game is a keeper or not.

I never trust anyone's reviews in any site, and there is a reason for that. The public wants a review right away. The guys reviewing the games are forced to play the games right away write some notes and go with the little time they have to put a review together.

Now with some genres that is perfectly fine. The game is what it is. When it comes to sports games you need a couple of weeks at least to truly see all the rights and wrongs with the game.

I will not blame OS for a 8.5 since they had to give the review out asap. I would love it if they played the game for 2 weeks then published their review. That would be much more beneficial to us.

The problem is that the majority of the public is impatient.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #11
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Levy
I don't have a problem with giving it an 8.5 at all. It's the best Madden in years and a great base for the series going forward. I'd probably rate it .5 lower just because it's the first major overhaul of the series in a long time so there were of course kinks that need to be worked out but they should and the game should only get better.
I agree with this. It's a very solid game this year given the implementation of the Infinity Engine, and the new CCM mode. The passing improvements, and defensive improvements (no more super LB's, or psychic DBs making plays without turning their heads, or seeing the ball). I'd say 8 to 8.5 is more than fair for this game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #12
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
This is why I constantly state that in order to get a true feeling for a SPORTS game it takes about 2-4 weeks of time. Once everything settles you can really gauge if the game is a keeper or not.

I never trust anyone's reviews in any site, and there is a reason for that. The public wants a review right away. The guys reviewing the games are forced to play the games right away write some notes and go with the little time they have to put a review together.

Now with some genres that is perfectly fine. The game is what it is. When it comes to sports games you need a couple of weeks at least to truly see all the rights and wrongs with the game.

I will not blame OS for a 8.5 since they had to give the review out asap. I would love it if they played the game for 2 weeks then published their review. That would be much more beneficial to us.

The problem is that the majority of the public is impatient.
Exactly. And the impatience is caused by knowing whether they should pick up the game or not.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #13
Banned

Drtro's Arena

OVR: 6

Because the people who rated it aren't irrational as for some people here hate the game because it has no transaction log. Honestly can't see how people pick out the little things and make out the whole game to be garbage because of it. Makes me want to headbutt a knife when reading those posts.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #14
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drtro
Because the people who rated it aren't irrational as for some people here hate the game because it has no transaction log. Honestly can't see how people pick out the little things and make out the whole game to be garbage because of it. Makes me want to headbutt a knife when reading those posts.
With all due respect, it's not the little things holding back this title, it's basically, fundamental football things.

OL/DL needs an overhaul, no double team pass blocking, engaging in place, no superior DE's getting sacks, etc.....no balanced penalty system, zig zag running still happens, and I'm just touching the tip of the iceberg.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
With all due respect, it's not the little things holding back this title, it's basically, fundamental football things.

OL/DL needs an overhaul, no double team pass blocking, engaging in place, no superior DE's getting sacks, etc.....no balanced penalty system, zig zag running still happens, and I'm just touching the tip of the iceberg.
Exactly. Also, reviewers get the game, they get the "new-game" feeling, which eventually wears off. When I first got the game I'd give it around an 8.7, but right now I'd lean more towards a 7.5. Even if they implemented OL / DL better so there's a realistic pocket and they made the footplanting realistic, I'd be happy for gameplay.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #16
Banned

Sotendo's Arena

OVR: 5

I'd honestly give the game 6.5/10 IMO

I'm not kidding.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »