Home

Playcalling in Madden NFL 13

This is a discussion on Playcalling in Madden NFL 13 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-09-2012, 01:00 AM   #17
Pro

Dwaresacksqb's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Playcalling in Madden NFL 13

I really don't think it needs much more explaining, but..... What really bothers me more than anything else, is the HORRIBLE redzone offense ontop of everything else. The CPU just thinks it's ok to settle for field goals by running the ball no matter the distance. I feel like I'm playing against idiots. Not fun
Old 11-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #18
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Kneel-downs at the end of games also need to be looked at. I use Ask Madden for play calls and if I'm up with less than 2 minutes to play and the CPU has no timeouts left, I shouldn't have to choose between 3 shotgun pass plays. The CPU also very rarely takes a knee when they are in the same scenario.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 11-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 18
1. Score: 13-7
2. Quarter: 4th, 1:10 seconds left
3. Teams: Offense-Packers/Defense-Broncos (losing with no timeouts left)
4. Down & Distance: 1st and 10 after touchback
5. Offensive Play Call (D if possible): pass plays

Instead of the CPU Packers taking a knee to win the game they pass the ball several times and Rodgers throws a perfect pass to my DB.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #20
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerWolf
I'm really hoping this is something that can be tuned rather than patched. It'd be nice to see some tuners at play for Madden.
I hope so too.

I thank Emmdot for coming back to gather information. What's up dude?!?

At the same time, if we're allowed to be honest, it's a little alarming this communication is coming in November. CPU playcalling was mentioned before the game shipped. I remember when Shop was posting vids at the August community event -- it became apparent then that the CPU had late-game mgmt issues. I think I recall him playing Oak vs Cin and with the CPU up with 2-3 minutes on the clock, they pass the ball: it lead to a pick and Shop took the lead and win.

So this isn't a new issue. I was honestly surprised it wasn't addressed in the mega-patch. I guess I just feel disappointed at this point. CPU playcalling was a gamebreaker for me. And I have no interest in using the workarounds.

If this thing requires a patch, presumably we're looking at December at least before we have a competent AI. That's way too long.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #21
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles36
I hope so too.

I thank Emmdot for coming back to gather information. What's up dude?!?

At the same time, if we're allowed to be honest, it's a little alarming this communication is coming in November. CPU playcalling was mentioned before the game shipped. I remember when Shop was posting vids at the August community event -- it became apparent then that the CPU had late-game mgmt issues. I think I recall him playing Oak vs Cin and with the CPU up with 2-3 minutes on the clock, they pass the ball: it lead to a pick and Shop took the lead and win.

So this isn't a new issue. I was honestly surprised it wasn't addressed in the mega-patch. I guess I just feel disappointed at this point. CPU playcalling was a gamebreaker for me. And I have no interest in using the workarounds.

If this thing requires a patch, presumably we're looking at December at least before we have a competent AI. That's way too long.
I just mentioned that in another thread. Half the football season is gone at this point.

In that same thread, a game reviewer from Joystick posted and stated that there should be more title and tuner updates coming. We'll see.

I will say, if it's a cold winter, and the game is updated, I'll play it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I just mentioned that in another thread. Half the football season is gone at this point.

In that same thread, a game reviewer from Joystick posted and stated that there should be more title and tuner updates coming. We'll see.

If the game is updated, I might buy it.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage
1. Score: 13-7
2. Quarter: 4th, 1:10 seconds left
3. Teams: Offense-Packers/Defense-Broncos (losing with no timeouts left)
4. Down & Distance: 1st and 10 after touchback
5. Offensive Play Call (D if possible): pass plays

Instead of the CPU Packers taking a knee to win the game they pass the ball several times and Rodgers throws a perfect pass to my DB.
There was one game when I was in a situation very similar to this, losing, but I still had one timeout left ... and the cpu kneeled twice. I didn't bother using my timeout.

I was very quiet on this thread because 1) I didn't have specific examples to offer and didn't want to hijack emm's thread but 2) i've seen just as many good examples of cpu play call as i have bad examples so i just really don't know the answer here. there are so many variables and clock management is a very hard thing to do in real life much less in a game, so maybe (as I tend to do) I'm giving too much slack. But I HAVE seen good cpu play call as well as bad.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #24
Pro

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman

Kinda agree. But also remember the footbal season is only 5 months long. So a few pathes will drop when the season is almost over. And i mostly play the game all year through

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »