Home

Playcalling in Madden NFL 13

This is a discussion on Playcalling in Madden NFL 13 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #25
Banned

kpkpkp's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Playcalling in Madden NFL 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
If the game is updated, I might buy it.
+1

Also, if this does require a patch as opposed to a tuner, I dont care if it takes until December to patch. I still haven't purchased this game; after reading about the AI playcalling I had decided not to. But if it gets patched I probably will pick it up.

Anywho; I'm glad EA seems to want to get to the bottom if this issue (playbook star ratings). And with the links to the other thread detailing the issue, EA should understand now why the AI is broken.

God-speed EA patch people!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 0

The run/pass thread helps with the CPU's playcalling but I wish we could use the teams' actual playbooks for good playcalling.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #27
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage
1. Score: 13-7
2. Quarter: 4th, 1:10 seconds left
3. Teams: Offense-Packers/Defense-Broncos (losing with no timeouts left)
4. Down & Distance: 1st and 10 after touchback
5. Offensive Play Call (D if possible): pass plays

Instead of the CPU Packers taking a knee to win the game they pass the ball several times and Rodgers throws a perfect pass to my DB.
HA!

I got beatdown by the Ravens 48-17 and with 2 minutes left, they mounted a perfect 2 minute drive, gassed me out of my time outs and kicked a FG on 3rd down as time expired to score 51..

As insane as that is, it beats pre patch / pre playbook workaround where they called run plays from behind in the closing minutes of each half...

All of the patch tweaks seem to go from one (undesirable) extreme to an other...

For example:

This year someone decided it's "no fun" for the USER to have to play with a backup QB...

So NOW, even if your starter is carted off the field, he's back for the next snap...

So:

As "controversial" as it may sound, I personally wish they'd stop trying to patch 13...

I have a slider set / a playbook workaround / and have come to a "peace" with the looooong list of what's missing and what doesn't work...

So (IMHO), stop already and let me enjoy my CLE CCM, which I'll only be interested in for until a week or two post Super Bowl...

I'd rater not lose another week to rebuilding slider sets...

The last patch is proof enough for me that sometimes it's best to quit while you're...ahead?

Then again, I welcome Emmdot's interest...

Hopefully, it will make a difference going forward...

Old 11-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #28
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

I don't think it's as much situational as it is the playbooks and the gameplan feature. Running on 1st Down or 2nd and long isn't an unfathomable concept, it's just the frequency and predictability at which the CPU does it that is the problem. It's been gone over how it seems to be the gameplans priority star system that is causing poor playcalling but I think it showcases some issues within gameplans and the playbooks.

It seems like the playbooks have become dumbed down over the years and not a lot to choose from. A lot of Power O, Iso, Curl Flats, Slants, and Stick in just about every formation accounting for a pretty good chunk of each teams playbook. Pair that with the fact that the gameplan only allows for 20 plays in each situation and, even if the playcalling was perfect, it's still hard to get a lot of variety and uniqueness from each team. Another thing I've always wondered is how many plays in some teams playbooks have zero chance of being called due to them not being a part of any situation.

I think the star system itself should be wiped out and rather than plays being assigned to situations it should be the other way around where each play in the playbook is assigned the situations in which it would potentially be used. This way, you would be allowed to have a lot more than 20 plays attached to a certain situation and the whole playbook would be available.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #29
Meow

DetroitStyle's Arena

OVR: 29

1. 20-16 (User lead)
2. 4th
3. Teams: Dallas/Atlanta
4. 1st and 10 @ the 13 yard line
5. Dallas runs a draw with 13 seconds left in the game. Got nothing and came up to spike the ball with 4 seconds left on the clock. The next play they ran was a draw and game over.

Side note: Everyone has pretty much hit the nail on the head in this thread so far. Not only is redzone and late game playcalling (or two-minute drill) bad but teams don't necessarily play to their real life strengths. Pretty much what you see is run, run, pass..****n, run, pass. It does seem to stem from the playbooks and poorly rated plays in situations. That's why playcalling seems to be better when using generic playbooks. But even so it doesn't help the late game calling which can't be fixed through playbooks.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:22 AM   #30
Banned

D_Fos's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHalt621
Well I think the first issue is 1st and 2nd down..as well as red zone and 2 minute warning..I know from the below thread Ill post..what we all found was the star system was poorly rated for almost all teams in 1st and 2nd down..almost all pass plays are 1/2 starred..as we found out generic and legends plays books are starred better..giving pass plays and run plays the same star. I would think it would be an easy fix no? Just change all plays in play books to same star...thus giving the CPU the option to choose any of said plays

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...fline-ccm.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes! I agree

As for late game play calling, its at times uninspiring. May be the star system at fault again. Run, Run, Pass.
How bout EA release a tuner that allows us to edit the Star System for the Playbooks and have it carry over to CCM or edit them in CCM?

The Offline community would GREATLY appreciate efforts like this.

Last edited by D_Fos; 11-10-2012 at 05:25 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Fos
Yes! I agree

As for late game play calling, its at times uninspiring. May be the star system at fault again. Run, Run, Pass.
How bout EA release a tuner that allows us to edit the Star System for the Playbooks and have it carry over to CCM or edit them in CCM?

The Offline community would GREATLY appreciate efforts like this.
I second this BIG time..I get the possible issue with custom playbooks (or at least I think I do)..but allow US to attempt to fix the game and fix the current playbooks and gameplans..put a Giant warning label saying "this may or may not fix the play calling issue it may break something else)..but at least give us the chance to make it right..I understand the man hours it will cost EA to fix the playbooks and game plans..but if anything this site and others show there are many of us that will put the time and effort in..and I know what some of u will say..it's a slippery slope.."and why would we fix the game we paid for"..I get it, I feel it, I understand it..but I want football and I want it now damn it (insert stomping feet) wow I just went five year old on this thread..ugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by SJHalt621; 11-10-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #32
Banned

js3512's Arena

OVR: 5

Like everyone else is saying, it's the star system in gameplans that's all messed up. And it's really a pretty unexcusable oversight. It seems obvious that noone ever went through to rate each play in each situation to suit the team's strength. Of course, if we had the power to edit playbooks and use them in CCM this wouldn't be as big of an issue but alas, the Madden team has dropped the ball yet again. Soon football season will be winding down and with a great NHL game this year that's likely to see most of my free time. Considering trading Madden in for the third year in a row even if it is fixed at this point.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »