Home

Change of scheme and player type...

This is a discussion on Change of scheme and player type... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Change of scheme and player type...

Kills a players OVR. I'm shocked at the drop.
Ray McDonald. 49ers LDE.
Started as a 92.
Changed the defensive scheme to an attacking 4-3...drops to a 87.
Changed player to 'speed rusher'.
In week #7, his OVR is a 76.

Love the freedom the game gives us to change schemes, I might start over and change it up after a few years of getting the right guys in the draft/FA.

Also changed Harbaughs scheme but his goals stay the same run run run. Might have to GameFace my way to a new HC. Sorry Jim.

Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Change of scheme and player type...

Yup, interesting topic...

My best example is LT Thomas / CLE...

In the game and in real life he's a LT...

However,in the game, the D's pass rush pressure comes from the LE / LLOB, so you'd want to take your best pass blocking OT and move him to the right side, right?

But, his ratings take a massive AWR hit and about a 5 point OVR...even his ability to run and pass block is reduced on the right...

Plus, my mediocre RT gets overwhelmed on the right, but moving him to the left makes him take an even bigger ratings hit that takes him from mediocre to poor...

The default O scheme for CLE and most of the players are West Coast, so when I went Spread, that didn't really hurt too much in the ratings / performance...

However, the OT mess is really a mess that is the fault of faulty programming...

As Phil Sims even says in the game's commentary, "The left tackle is the pass blocking tackle and the right tackle is the power tackle you run off of"...

However, the game's programmers created a situation where the opposite is actually the case...

And then, the EA roster guy tried to compensate for that by altering the depth charts to put the best pass rushers on the left and the best pass blockers on the right...

So:

If I want to make up for EA's "backwards" protection / pass rush, I have to swap two tackles and take the ratings hit...

On one hand, it's cool that they make us "scheme" and juggle players, but it cheapens it when we have to workaround a programming error...

One step forward, two back!

Old 11-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
Rookie

CurryStorm's Arena

OVR: 4

How do you even change schemes? I started a coach CCM with the Jets and picked Atlanta's D's playbook (which should be a 4-3).

When I go into SCHEMES, it has me correctly running an Attacking 4-3. But when you scroll down to the individual positions, it still has only 1 DT listed and 2 MLBs listed. I can live with that, however, what's really bothering me now is in regards to free agency. It's telling me certain positions that I KNOW are good fits for a 4-3 are Poor fits and still telling me that 3-4 LBs, etc. are great fits for my system. Like I said, it lists me running an Attacking 4-3 under SCHEMES but every other part of the game seems to have me still using Rex Ryan's 3-4. Very frustrated.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
Rookie

*changes to a 4-3*
"Lets take a look at that starting defense"
*shows a 3-4*

Dammit.

I'm going to start fresh and mess around with some things, see if I can get some better results.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

After having a full offseason with your new scheme is when your HC goals change.

In my Atlanta Falcons CCM I changed from a power run scheme to a vertical offense and by the second year my starting halfback goal went from 1,000+ rushing yards to 600 and my QB goal was to throw for 4,800+ yards.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
Rookie

Great info. After a full offseason...so I keep everything the way it is, maybe sim year one, change it before then end and go from there.
I'll do the practices to get XP for the double scout points and sim everything else.
Thanks.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:46 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Does 5 points of AWR even matter? I have always been under the impression that AWR is only for sim games. Unless that is what you were talking about.

And OVR in Madden 13 doesn't matter either. It's only for the CPU. If you want to trade for a player, the CPU looks at OVR. They also use that to determine who they pick up from free agency and who they dump in the off season.

They also take into consideration Scheme fit. You shouldn't see a CPU team pick up a 54 HB over a 99 one just because the 54 fits the scheme and the 99 doesn't. But if they were 76 and 82 respectively, yeah, they'd take the 76.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »