Home

Zone or man?

This is a discussion on Zone or man? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 21
Re: Zone or man?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shttymcgee
This is not an accurate description of zone defense is played in football, it's more like a description of zone defense in basketball.

There are no "boundaries" in zones. There are not black and white areas for zone defenders to play. Not all zone players "face the qb" or "force players to the middle." What about wallers/"scif" players, etc.

Zone defenses are just ways to identify how perimeter runs will be defended and how specific route combinations will be matched.

However, you are spot on in complaining about defenders who basically cover grass instead of hunting opposite cloth.
Clearly we got taught very different aspects of football.

From a DB perspective, you should be funneling the wideout inside, if they get to your outside your essientally playing man coverage at that point. Generally you have no help over the top on the outside unless the safety's are on deep zones or a prevent defense called. Which is why I said its paramount to keep everything infront of you.

When your force them inside your not only limiting routes but you can transition them into the next zone, we referred to it as carrying a player over.

By keeping my back to the sidelines I was always able to see across the field any player that was coming into my zone.

EDIT It's hard to articulate this through words, kinda complex. When I say my back is too the sideline I tried to become 35 degrees from the QB.

Last edited by RyanMoody21; 12-04-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanMoody21
Clearly we got taught very different aspects of football.

From a DB perspective, you should be funneling the wideout inside, if they get to your outside your essientally playing man coverage at that point. Generally you have no help over the top on the outside unless the safety's are on deep zones or a prevent defense called. Which is why I said its paramount to keep everything infront of you.

When your force them inside your not only limiting routes but you can transition them into the next zone, we referred to it as carrying a player over.

By keeping my back to the sidelines I was always able to see across the field any player that was coming into my zone.

EDIT It's hard to articulate this through words, kinda complex. When I say my back is too the sideline I tried to become 35 degrees from the QB.
I know what you're getting at, but (to me) it's coming across as too absolute.

One more question: As a corner in cover 3, if you got two verticals to your side, did you midpoint them or just stay outside of the outside vertical?
"
See what I mean? There aren't really always and nevers when it comes to this stuff.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by shttymcgee
I know what you're getting at, but (to me) it's coming across as too absolute.

One more question: As a corner in cover 3, if you got two verticals to your side, did you midpoint them or just stay outside of the outside vertical?
"
See what I mean? There aren't really always and nevers when it comes to this stuff.
Much like our running scheme debate, the game is much more wrong the either you or I. I didn't do a very job of articulating my positon on this originally either.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:32 AM   #20
MVP

OVR: 16

3 deep zones with a couple linebackers blitzing is my favorite plays to call with the 3-4 Steelers. Then I usually do man with 2 deep safeties over the top on long pass plays, with a mix of blitzes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »