Home

In Game Attribute Changes - CCM

This is a discussion on In Game Attribute Changes - CCM within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #25
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: In Game Attribute Changes - CCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School SD Fan
I will note this. While offense or defense scheme changes (which do not stick anyway due to bugs EA refuses to fix) don't seem to affect overalls, I did notice when I changed my #1 receiver setting under Schemes from speed to red zone, the overalls on my two red zone receivers jumped.

That appears to be the key, you want to maximize the overall for a starter, change the position setting under Schemes to match his.

EDIT: IN GENERAL, it appears to me now you can draft ANYONE regardless of scheme or style and so long as you change that position's style under Scheme to match the player's setting, you'll maximize his overall. So, if I'm right you do NOT have to draft for scheme or style, draft anyone and just set the style under schemes to match and you're good. For example, even though I'm running a 4-3 D scheme, I had a 3-4 LOLB starter and by setting the LOLB scheme setting to 3-4 pass rusher to match his setting, I got a nice overall boost.

Anyone believe differently?

BTW, I am baffled why the in game ratings differ. If the out of game reflect scheme compatability or incompatability, what's the point of showing raw overalls in game????
I agree, the overalls really don't serve any purpose, other than to compare and contrast how your scheme/player type is affecting their "natural" rating.

Yes, you can change your desired player types to maximize your player's ratings, but I choose not to do this. It makes the draft more meaningful and adds an extra layer of challenge to building your team.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #26
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
I will note this. While offense or defense scheme changes (which do not stick anyway due to bugs EA refuses to fix) don't seem to affect overalls, I did notice when I changed my #1 receiver setting under Schemes from speed to red zone, the overalls on my two red zone receivers jumped.

That appears to be the key, you want to maximize the overall for a starter, change the position setting under Schemes to match his.

EDIT: IN GENERAL, it appears to me now you can draft ANYONE regardless of scheme or style and so long as you change that position's style under Scheme to match the player's setting, you'll maximize his overall. So, if I'm right you do NOT have to draft for scheme or style, draft anyone and just set the style under schemes to match and you're good. For example, even though I'm running a 4-3 D scheme, I had a 3-4 LOLB starter and by setting the LOLB scheme setting to 3-4 pass rusher to match his setting, I got a nice overall boost.

BTW, I am baffled why the in game ratings differ. If the out of game reflect scheme compatability or incompatability, what's the point of showing raw overalls in game????
No offense, but you are missing the point of schemes entirely. Why worry about maximizing overall? It gives you no benefit whatsoever aside from having a higher team overall at the controller select screen.

The purpose of schemes and player types is not to provide a "ratings boost;" it is to give the user (and AI controlled teams) a way to build their team based on the scheme they want to use. If you like using a west coast offense with a blitzing 3-4 defense, player type is designed to let you get a better idea of which players fit your scheme.

I would strongly advise against changing player type to maximize your player's overall. Set your scheme to the type of game you play. This allows you to acquire players whose strengths match your playstyle.

The reason the ratings differ is pretty simple actually. Whether you play a game in CC or play now the game code does not change. It is still the same programming. In play now player types are nonexistent. The developers did not want to alter the code for CC so it does not take schemes into consideration. That is my educated guess. EA did not want to add new lines of code just for games being played in CC so they used the same code from before
Old 12-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:

That only works in theory if you actually change how YOU play the game. You can change your scheme/player type to get an boost to the Overall rating for your LOLB, but if you still run a 4-3 defense he's still going to play like his rating BEFORE you made the change. i.e. if he's a 70 4-3 LOLB and a 85 3-4 pass rusher but you play him in a 4-3 he's going to play like a 70 NOT 84 regardless of what scheme/player type changes you made.

The bottom line is that Overall rating is purely aesthetic. It has about as much direct impact on the game as the jersey number.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #28
Banned

Old School SD Fan's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Raider
A player's listed scheme is not always what he rates highest at, and I hope they fix this in M14.

Use schemes that fit your personal preferences, and find players that fit your style of play.

Since nobody mentioned it in the last three pages, I guess I am one of the few people that spend player XP on improving Consistency.

Bringing up Consistency is worth not seeing a player play 5-10 points below his normal OVR sometimes.

I usually buy the first level when a player is 80 OVR, level 2 at 85, level 3 at 90, and level 4 at 95.

Thus far, I have found only rare exceptions that changing the player styles under schemes to match your starter's styles did not raise the overall. I will say though, the 2nd player listings did not seem to work, in other words the 2nd RB did not respond to the 2nd RB setting but the first, same with WR's.

In those cases, you are probably better in most cases recruiting to existing style settings unless you are drafting or signing a new starter. In that case I say select best available and change the setting.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #29
Banned

throckmeisterz's Arena

OVR: 2

Along these lines, I've been wondering about blocking stats. I noticed immediately after first booting up the game that o-linemen no longer have run/pass block strength and footwork. They only have run block, pass, block, and impact block. However, the players do have ratings listed for these things if you look under my madden, manage players. Confused, I accepted this and forgot about it a long time. Just the other day, I was playing with a new team. My first TE was Witten, who is an awful blocker, so I was reordering my depth chart in game to move Witten to the 2nd TE spot (which I actually target more than my 1st TE because of the plays I call most often), moving a better blocker into that first spot. This isn't important. The baffling thing was that, in the in-game depth chart, the RBS, RBF, PBS, PBF categories were all there, but my players were listed at zero in every one of these stats. Now I'm just completely confused. EA, why? And, for that matter, what? and which?
Old 12-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by throckmeisterz
Along these lines, I've been wondering about blocking stats. I noticed immediately after first booting up the game that o-linemen no longer have run/pass block strength and footwork. They only have run block, pass, block, and impact block. However, the players do have ratings listed for these things if you look under my madden, manage players. Confused, I accepted this and forgot about it a long time. Just the other day, I was playing with a new team. My first TE was Witten, who is an awful blocker, so I was reordering my depth chart in game to move Witten to the 2nd TE spot (which I actually target more than my 1st TE because of the plays I call most often), moving a better blocker into that first spot. This isn't important. The baffling thing was that, in the in-game depth chart, the RBS, RBF, PBS, PBF categories were all there, but my players were listed at zero in every one of these stats. Now I'm just completely confused. EA, why? And, for that matter, what? and which?
I've notice that too. In CCM it's just Run Block and Pass Block and it sucks that you can't even see that in game - your just left guessing or having to know before hand.

I think what determines what used to be determined by Footwork and Strength is the players base Agility and Strength ratings. i.e. Agility+Run Blocking = what used to be RBF and Strength+Pass Block = what used to be PBS and so on.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #31
Banned

throckmeisterz's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerat
I think what determines what used to be determined by Footwork and Strength is the players base Agility and Strength ratings. i.e. Agility+Run Blocking = what used to be RBF and Strength+Pass Block = what used to be PBS and so on.
I've considered this also; it seems like a reasonable explanation (for these skills' omission, not the in-game depth chart weirdness). Can anyone confirm or deny? Perhaps I'll spend some o-line xp on agility and see if it helps significantly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #32
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturzinator
I agree, the overalls really don't serve any purpose, other than to compare and contrast how your scheme/player type is affecting their "natural" rating.

Yes, you can change your desired player types to maximize your player's ratings, but I choose not to do this. It makes the draft more meaningful and adds an extra layer of challenge to building your team.
I just wish scheme meant more than player overall changing - like it changed the players ACTUAL ratings and/or development rating/upgrade costs/XP gain/something significant to give me even more reason to not change it other than to just choose not to do it.

Especially the Offense/Defense ones - that's like changing your O and D coordinator, imo.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »