Home

CCM fantasy draft help!!

This is a discussion on CCM fantasy draft help!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: CCM fantasy draft help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ninja
This is just my theory but here it is and hopefully it helps.
Sorry to say so but in my opinion that's some really bad advice.

The problem is that too many people mix up Madden with the real NFL. In the NFL, sure, QB and LT are most important. In Madden, they are not.

In general, defense is MUCH more important in my opinion than offense when doing a fantasy draft. The logic is simple, on offense, the most important player is usually user controlled, so that limits the effect of player ratings, while on defense, you actually need all thos CPU controlled players to execute.

Sure, having Tom Brady is great, but actually, there's a dozen QB in the game that you can win any game with just as well, the only thing you can't compensate for is mobility, so I'd generally recommend going for RG3 or Luck simply because they are young, great passers and fast.

LT, like all other offensive line positions, simply isn't that important, you can pass and run the ball behind a mediocre line, it's not that hard. Drafting an LT that early simply means wasting a pick, you can easily pick up great young linemen in rounds 15+

In my experience, the most important positions in the game by far are LB and CB. Your CB needs to be fast enough to run with any receiver (so any CB with speed below 95 is, in my opinion, not good enough to be a consistent #1 CB) and needs good enough cover skills to stay with them through the cuts.

LBs are important on almost every defensive play, they stuff the run, they cover the intermediate routes, you absolutely do want fast, well tackling and hard hitting LBs with good play recognition are the difference between a poor defense and a shutdown defense in Madden, in my experience.

In general, the old saying is still true, Speed kills. You want fast players on every position you can get, especially on defense. In general, my early picks are usually spent on guys like Von Miller, Patrick Willis (if I can get my hands on him), Navorro Bowman, Jerod Mayo, Brian Cushing or Clay Matthews, Luke Kuechly and Mychal Kendricks are great rookies you can get for your backfield, too. One other player you absolutely want is Bruce Irvin, a rookie DE with 90 speed is not something you want to pass up on.

Drafting a CB early would be nice, but in my experience, there aren't too many worth taking early. Most are either too old or too slow, in general, I like going after Patrick Peterson as my #1 CB and you don't have to pick him that early.

Some of the players I like going after early on offense are Rob Gronkowski (guy catches everything), Calvin Johnson (dito) or Julio Jones as receivers, at RB, the only one I consider truly worthy of a high pick as Darren McFadden since he's the only guy combining strength and truly elite speed (David Wilson is a nice rookie with very good speed and strength as well). Speed is nice, but you can get guys with very high speed later on and the difference isn't that huge.

So that's my basic advice in a nutshell, always remember: This is Madden, not the real NFL. Just because something is right in the NFL, doesn't make it right in Madden.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
Banned

yanksrule3's Arena

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempseylicious23
CJ Spiller is pretty great.
yeah I was thinking about him or jahvid best. Best is still very young and fast but the toughness is bad.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDelta
Sorry to say so but in my opinion that's some really bad advice.

The problem is that too many people mix up Madden with the real NFL. In the NFL, sure, QB and LT are most important. In Madden, they are not.

In general, defense is MUCH more important in my opinion than offense when doing a fantasy draft. The logic is simple, on offense, the most important player is usually user controlled, so that limits the effect of player ratings, while on defense, you actually need all thos CPU controlled players to execute.

Sure, having Tom Brady is great, but actually, there's a dozen QB in the game that you can win any game with just as well, the only thing you can't compensate for is mobility, so I'd generally recommend going for RG3 or Luck simply because they are young, great passers and fast.

LT, like all other offensive line positions, simply isn't that important, you can pass and run the ball behind a mediocre line, it's not that hard. Drafting an LT that early simply means wasting a pick, you can easily pick up great young linemen in rounds 15+

In my experience, the most important positions in the game by far are LB and CB. Your CB needs to be fast enough to run with any receiver (so any CB with speed below 95 is, in my opinion, not good enough to be a consistent #1 CB) and needs good enough cover skills to stay with them through the cuts.

LBs are important on almost every defensive play, they stuff the run, they cover the intermediate routes, you absolutely do want fast, well tackling and hard hitting LBs with good play recognition are the difference between a poor defense and a shutdown defense in Madden, in my experience.

In general, the old saying is still true, Speed kills. You want fast players on every position you can get, especially on defense. In general, my early picks are usually spent on guys like Von Miller, Patrick Willis (if I can get my hands on him), Navorro Bowman, Jerod Mayo, Brian Cushing or Clay Matthews, Luke Kuechly and Mychal Kendricks are great rookies you can get for your backfield, too. One other player you absolutely want is Bruce Irvin, a rookie DE with 90 speed is not something you want to pass up on.

Drafting a CB early would be nice, but in my experience, there aren't too many worth taking early. Most are either too old or too slow, in general, I like going after Patrick Peterson as my #1 CB and you don't have to pick him that early.

Some of the players I like going after early on offense are Rob Gronkowski (guy catches everything), Calvin Johnson (dito) or Julio Jones as receivers, at RB, the only one I consider truly worthy of a high pick as Darren McFadden since he's the only guy combining strength and truly elite speed (David Wilson is a nice rookie with very good speed and strength as well). Speed is nice, but you can get guys with very high speed later on and the difference isn't that huge.

So that's my basic advice in a nutshell, always remember: This is Madden, not the real NFL. Just because something is right in the NFL, doesn't make it right in Madden.
Awesome, thanks for the advice.

What other CB would you go for? What about FS/SS? Do you waste early picks on those positions?

Also, do you run mostly man then, since your defense is incredibly fast?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #12
Rookie

Also, say you don't get RG3 or Luck. Who do you go for?
Old 12-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #13
MVP

Other CBs I like are Stephon Gilmore, for example, only of the higher ranked rookies with the Speed I like, DeMarcus Van **** can be a decent CB #3 due to his speed, other than that, just look for high speed, play recognition and coverage ratings on a young player, DRC is another good CB even if he's not a rookie anymore, but you'll still get quite a few years of production out of him. Most of those CBs have rather bad Tackle ratings, but that's one of the cheaper attributes to raise.

I run a lot of man but also a lot of zone, Cover 3 mostly since it has my fast DBs going deep, it really depends on the situation.

As far as safeties are concerned, Earl Thomas is one that comes to mind I absolutely love, high speed, great ballhawk. SS is a bit more varied, Eric Berry is still a very good option here, one player I've learned to love is LaRon Landry, 99 Hit Power can get you a ton of fumbles over the course of a season. In general, I try to find players with 90+ speed for safety, Colin Jones is one of the later round picks I found can really be effective at the position, too.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #14
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticsky
Also, say you don't get RG3 or Luck. Who do you go for?
Really depends what you're looking for. I like to either go for a rookie/young QB, if so, if I can't get RG3/Luck I like guys like Colin Kaepernick, Jake Locker, Cam Newton of course but he's going rather early, too, Terrell Pryor can actually become a pretty decent QB too if you're careful with the ball. And of course there's also Russell Wilson, very nice rookie as well.

Or I want to draft my own QB, in the case I'll take a decent older starter, there's really a ton of options here, doesn't really matter just don't overdraft because whoever you pick won't be starting for more than a season or two at the most.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticsky
Awesome, thanks for the advice.

What other CB would you go for? What about FS/SS? Do you waste early picks on those positions?

Also, do you run mostly man then, since your defense is incredibly fast?
Joe Haden is a great option for your other CB. His pass defense skills are elite and he's pretty fast too. I used a relatively early pick (5th or 6th round maybe) on Kam Chancellor who is very good at SS. As far as this goes, it depends what kind of defense you're running.

I run a base cover-2 D so I need safeties that are good in run support. If you run a base 3-4 you have 7 in the box as opposed to my 6 most of the time, so your safeties probably don't need to be as strong stopping the run and you may not need to prioritize drafting them early.

I definitely agree that drafting a strong group of LB's and CB's is the key to having a strong defense. An ideal situation for me would be having Joe Haden and Patrick Peterson as your CB's, with a LB core of Clay Matthews, Patrick Willis, Navorro Bowman, and Luke Keuchly.

Some other good options at CB are Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie, Prince Amukamura, Devin McCourty, Kyle Wilson, etc.

Some other good options at OLB are Justin Durant, Demarcus Ware, Lance Briggs, DeAndre Levy, Von Miller, etc.

Some other good options at ILB are Jon Beason, Ray Maualuga, Urlacher, Ray Lewis (both of those two will retire pretty early), etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #16
Banned

yanksrule3's Arena

OVR: 5
Dempsylicious: Do u remember your draft order. Just saw your roster in the other thread. Man that is stacked!!

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »