Home

How do you beat psychic defense?

This is a discussion on How do you beat psychic defense? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 6
How do you beat psychic defense?

- I don't care about offline where you can tweak settings. Online only.

- Yes, it exists. Go run 2 man under, commit to pass. At least that's the one I know about. When you do this, a few things happen: 1) WR drop rates go up and 2) defenders will run the route either before the receiver does or simultaneous with the receiver. Like glue. No faking them out.

- No, "running" isn't the answer. It works, but hit or miss, depending on plays.

It's ruining the game for me.

Any tips on how to beat it for those who know what I'm talking about?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
MVP

TheTruth1566's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: How do you beat psychic defense?

Timing is everything with your routes going against that type of defense. Drags, Prestocked Fade routes, Out routes (you can smaty-route them if you want) and curls all work. But the key has been to pass-lead to certain directions when the receiver first plants his foot to break into his route.
Father of (Cypher/Super [Adopted])
SFL Super Bowl 11-Time Champion
11 Super Bowl Appearances
Old 12-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
3-4 Defense

roll2tide's Arena

OVR: 13
Cool Re: How do you beat psychic defense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth1566
Timing is everything with your routes going against that type of defense. Drags, Prestocked Fade routes, Out routes (you can smaty-route them if you want) and curls all work. But the key has been to pass-lead to certain directions when the receiver first plants his foot to break into his route.
Agreed. Take the beloved 10 yard hitch route. If the defender presses (man coverage,no blitz, no bump) and trails the WR to his inside(placing the defender between you and the WR) then I don't throw this ball. Move on to next option.

The 10 yard out route. Same situation...CB trailing and inside. I throw this ball just before/as my WR plants and I lead outside. If the defender appears to be on the outside then I throw at the same point in the route but I lead inside....effectively causing my WR to turn out and stop instead of continuing to the sideline.

10 yard in. CB is running inside and mirroring the route. I throw just at the foot plant and leading outside. the CB over runs the route when my WR stops.

It's all about timing and ball placement. You cant throw every route vs every coverage. Sometimes you need to check down. Presnap you should know 4 things on every pass play. Reads 1 & 2, your hot route in case you see LBs blitzing, and your bailout WR. A quick glance at the snap will usually tell you if you need to unload it quick (and if a LB runs to your back in flat). Now check read 1. Know what you can't throw against. You know the inside trailing CB blows up your hitch. You also know that LBs drifting out to a buzz zone(purple) blows this up. Check read 2. If nothing is there....look for a hole to tuck and run through and recheck the back.

It's just one of a thousand scenarios. Not every play is a winner. Not every route will come open. Be aware of the position of the CB and use timing/leading to keep your WR away from him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You're doing it wrong EA

Twitter roll2tide
Old 12-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

This seems like a really loaded question.

MLB - Atlanta Braves
NFL - Atlanta Falcons
NBA - Atlanta Hawks
NCAAF - LSU Tigers, Furman University
Old 12-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
Banned

I appreciate the two responses, but I don't think you guys fully understand what I mean by psychic defense.

They literally run the route before my WRs do, and even if they only run it "at the same time" as my WR, they're always right on the WR to knock it down or break it up when my WR touches it.

Curls work against traditional man (not 2 man under, pass commit), but against that D, they're either pick 6d or blanketed so the WR drops it.

I'll try and take a video when it happens to me, but here is an example I found (though it's unclear what D is being run here, this is what happens, and I do know the difference between man and zone when I'm playing):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...UsxUubI#t=136s
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

It looks like the game's attempt to simulate anticipation - just...overdone.

That and there's no such thing as that in the game (defenders don't "read" the receiver and then use PRC (or AWR) vs RTE to anticipate the route, so we know there's some..."advance knowledge").

Like you said, he broke before the receiver even gave any indication of making a break - ideally, nothing to read except threatening to beat the DB deep. So even high PRC/AWR should come into play at that point (nothing to "recognize" except maybe a deeper route).

Is it possible to "lead" the WR back towards you out of the break? Maybe then the WR could undercut the "anticipating" CB and still block him out for the ball - or is the DB aware of that as well?
Old 12-14-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
Banned

Old School SD Fan's Arena

OVR: 3

I find doing a couple of hot routes or audibles confuses the AI a bit.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
It looks like the game's attempt to simulate anticipation - just...overdone.

That and there's no such thing as that in the game (defenders don't "read" the receiver and then use PRC (or AWR) vs RTE to anticipate the route, so we know there's some..."advance knowledge").

Like you said, he broke before the receiver even gave any indication of making a break - ideally, nothing to read except threatening to beat the DB deep. So even high PRC/AWR should come into play at that point (nothing to "recognize" except maybe a deeper route).

Is it possible to "lead" the WR back towards you out of the break? Maybe then the WR could undercut the "anticipating" CB and still block him out for the ball - or is the DB aware of that as well?
I've tried. Leading forward just has the defender cut off the passing lane. Throwing behind is usually a pick as well.

This happens constantly starting in the 600 point range (not very high, but where I notice it starting). I routinely kill people who don't use this coverage, but can't do anything against the people who run it unless I get a lucky miracle catch.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »