Home

who would you give me in return for CJ Spiller?

This is a discussion on who would you give me in return for CJ Spiller? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-22-2012, 11:32 PM   #25
Rookie

Aleeeeex94's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: who would you give me in return for CJ Spiller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_sr
you need to realize he doesn't get the ball, dude would be closing in on 2,000 yards if he did. chan gailey will get fired and spiller will lead the nfl in rushing next season, watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleeeeex94
He's splitting carries a lot more than other running backs so I would expect him to look explosive he's doing half the reps as everyone else.
I do realize, but that just means when he does get the ball he has more left in the tank than everyone else. He's a good running back I admit that but he isn't in the top 10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempseylicious23
So what, Doug Martin runs for 251 yards in one game and you can put him into the top 5, but I can't watch CJ Spiller average over 5 yards/carry for 5 years and put him in the top 5? Hrm... your logic is a bit off my friend.

Adrian Peterson, Ray Rice, Arian Foster, McCoy, and Lynch are the only guys who should be in a comparison conversation.

CJ0K has been doing nothing for the last few years. It's laughable for him to be considered anything better than flirting with the top 10. Jamaal Charles fumbles more often than he should, in 5 years in the league has only rushed 20 or more times in 12 games (as the feature back) and shredded his ACL once before. Trent Richardson is one of the only bright spots on an otherwise terrible offense, of course they're going to feed him the rock. I need to see more of Richardson before I make any real jugdements. Plus, he's only averaging 3.5 yards/carry which is less than mediocre. McFadden is good but he's made of glass, not feature back material, and as a Bears fan I can easily say I'd rather have CJ Spiller than Matt Forte who in 4/5 seasons in the league so far hasn't broken 1100 rushing yards. The first time Spiller hit 1000 yards rushing was this season, and he did it in only 154 carries, the least since Beattie Feathers (a Chicago Bear) did it in 1934, 78 years ago.

Seriously, if you don't think Spiller has top 5 NFL HB potential, you haven't seen a very large body of his work.
The list was in no order its just a list of players I would rather have instead of Spiller.

I agree he has top 5 potential, but he is on the fringe of top 10 at the moment at the very most. Until he becomes the every down back for a team and is then still averaging 5 yards a carry, I don't think he can be considered top 5.

Last edited by Aleeeeex94; 12-22-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-23-2012, 12:18 AM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleeeeex94
I do realize, but that just means when he does get the ball he has more left in the tank than everyone else. He's a good running back I admit that but he isn't in the top 10.

The list was in no order its just a list of players I would rather have instead of Spiller.

I agree he has top 5 potential, but he is on the fringe of top 10 at the moment at the very most. Until he becomes the every down back for a team and is then still averaging 5 yards a carry, I don't think he can be considered top 5.
Well we're talking about potential here, not what kind of stats they're putting up. Pure statistics are not representative of actual ability most of the time unless they're backed up with subjective video analysis or advanced meta-statistics.

I fully believe if he were a feature/3 down back for the Bills he could rush for over 2000 yards in a season or sustain a few seasons of 1500+ rushing. It's not hard to carry the ball a bunch of times every game if you avoid tackles like Spiller does. Elusiveness rating defined by the geeks at Profootballfocus.com (again, a site that rates NFL talent and consults for 7 separate NFL teams) by this formula:

[(Missed Tackles Rush + Missed Tackles Rec) / (Rushes + Receptions)] * (Yards per Carry after Contact / Att. * 100)

The highest rating in the history of the NFL in this category went to Legarette Blount who posted an 89.2 in 2010 by forcing 50 missed tackles and running for over 700 yards after first contact (1007 total yards) on 201 carries and 5 receptions.

CJ Spiller's rating up to this point in 2012 is 115.0. That is a full 25 points better than Blount's best of all time performance. Spiller is logging 1047 yards on 161 carries with 352 yards on 37 receptions. He averages 4.2 yards after contact and has forced 55 missed tackles so far. He's running more powerfully between the tackles and is more willing to lower his center of gravity to get those extra yards.

Also, to your claim that Spiller has "more in the tank" due to splitting carries, Spiller has been on the field for 465 snaps, which is less than only 20 HB's in the entire league (and that's with him "splitting carries").

I think the Bills have waited for the exact right time with Spiller to let him loose on the league next season. He's put on some weight since his days at 196 lbs and he will be ready to tear it up as one of the best feature backs in the NFL.

Last edited by Dempseylicious23; 12-23-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #27
Rookie

prime21time37's Arena

OVR: 5

maybe to jets for tebow and santonio holmes.
maybe broncos for eric decker
maybe chargers for antonio gates
maybe carolina for steve smith(assuming he demands trade to make a good story)

just a couple scenarios.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #28
Rookie

preaceps's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by prime21time37

just a couple scenarios.
Carolina would never do this. They already have like 30 of the 53 on their roster as HB lol
Old 12-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #29
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by preaceps
Carolina would never do this. They already have like 30 of the 53 on their roster as HB lol
And we pay each of those 30 running backs 10 million per season to run less than 1,000 yards. We wouldn't know what to do with an affordable half back.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #30
Rookie

prime21time37's Arena

OVR: 5

i agree under current situation. i was thinking maybe they dump d will cause of money and stewart cant stay healthy. just thinkin of video game stories. but in real life u are probably right
Old 12-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #31
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by prime21time37
maybe to jets for tebow and santonio holmes.
maybe broncos for eric decker
maybe chargers for antonio gates

just a couple scenarios.
Decker is the only one of those who is plausible. Gates is slowing down, Holmes and Smith are downfield wideouts who Fitz couldn't reach if he got to throw the ball twice. And if Gailey didn't even make an offer on Tebow last year, they wouldn't this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 0

@op,

I'd keep Spiller even if you go with a power back over him. In a realistic trade you won't get value for him and he's a better receiving option than most of what the Bills have. Make him your 4th WR/change of pace back. IMO that's way more valuable than anything you might get in a trade.

Simply put the Bills (fyi I'm a RL Bills fan and playing them in Online CCM) are seriously lacking in talent on the offensive side of the ball. Spiller offers you an explosive player at both HB and WR. There's no way you could realistically make up that 2 for 1 value in a trade.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »