Home

Madden's Sim Engine

This is a discussion on Madden's Sim Engine within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #1
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28
Madden's Sim Engine

I come from a different era of gaming where stats actually matter. So when I look at the stats that Madden generates, I'm left wondering if they even pay much attention to the foundation of this franchise, the sim engine.

Does Madden have the worst and least realistic sim engine of any of the major sports titles on the market today?

There are so many examples of just horribly wrong output that I don't get why all of the debate seems to center around gameplay on here while this gets ignored.

Thoughts? Are simulated statistics not as important in today's games to most people?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-25-2012, 12:51 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 8
They are very important..for years madden has always been off..and with many things madden everything is off..when there is 15 blocked punts against one team..well things are just wrong..

Sent from my head to my finger tips to ur eyes
Old 12-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Madden's Sim Engine

I've only ever been able to make it through one or two seasons without having to rage quit so I don't know how the end of season stats look but I'd imagine it can't be too easy to make a sim engine for a season.

I mean, look at what teams have done this year. We have Matt Stafford about to break the record for pass attempts, Calvin Johnson breaking the single season receiving yards record, JJ Watt and Aldon Smith approaching the single season sack record and Adrien Peterson almost breaking the single season rushing yards record.

This is all occurring a few years after Drew Brees and Tom Brady lit up the record books for passing.

So, it can't be easy trying to get parity and variety at the same time.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
Rookie

onac22's Arena

OVR: 5

All of these are the reasons I never really take a CCM past year 2 or 3. It just seems that every player turns into a super stud from xp overexposure, or they under develop because the game uses the xp on toughness for all the wide outs.

I think the farthest I managed to make it has been 6 yrs with the Browns. After four consecutive Super Bowls and two undefeated seasons my team prestige was only at C- so I just figured screw going deep just play a few seasons and start over again.

Sometimes I gameface a coach and other times I just start as one that exists. But the sim engine isn't horrible other than I manage to score around 30- 40 points a game but my offense is always ranked in the 30's because apparently yards gained is more important than points in the madden world.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
Rookie

dcmantommy72's Arena

OVR: 1

absolutely the worst part of this game is the un-realistic stats the default settings provide. I am just as shocked they keep getting away with it.

However guys again I must point you to the sliders forum where you can input a slider set such as BlueNinjas and then you will see a HUGE improvement with the overall stats in the game. Pretty close to where they should be. There will always be statistical anomalies which makes it feel real.

On default All Madden or All Pro this game in CCM is just un-enjoyable.

Its not that hard to create a sim engine that works correctly, no other sport game has this issue. Problem is they made an arcade football game and NOT a football sim... Hopefully that ideology will change.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
Dynasty Guru

JaymeeAwesome's Arena

OVR: 16
I just accept the bad stats for this year and hopes it will be better next year. I learned to only get aggravated at things I can control. Since I can't control the sim engine, I just live with it.

Madden 15 Sliders: Realistic Game Stat Sliders for Madden 15

Madden 15 Dynasty: The NFL Reborn...
Old 12-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
I come from a different era of gaming where stats actually matter. So when I look at the stats that Madden generates, I'm left wondering if they even pay much attention to the foundation of this franchise, the sim engine.

Does Madden have the worst and least realistic sim engine of any of the major sports titles on the market today?

There are so many examples of just horribly wrong output that I don't get why all of the debate seems to center around gameplay on here while this gets ignored.

Thoughts? Are simulated statistics not as important in today's games to most people?
Even worse is that it seems to have taken a step back from M12.

Then, the biggest offender seemed to be QB completion % - too many guys in the 50's instead of 60's-pushing-70% completion.

Even then, at least we had coaching sliders to help tweak it by way of how teams called games in simmed contests.

Now, we lose coaching sliders and 32-team control, and we have a sim engine that takes a step back.

Believe me, it drives me up a wall. Maybe not as much as the crappy player AI and lack of football thinking in the players, but it's definitely annoying.

At least give us a customization feature for it like OOTP did. Make a set of sliders for it or something. Not just for correcting things we don't like, but for doing more "what if" scenarios - like normalizing the output for "what if it was a 14-game schedule?" or "what if the NFL still favored the run?"

It would aid a whole different layer of replayability. Creating old teams and tweaking sim engine to getting that era's stats, etc.

There's a reason why OOTP is one of the best-loved sim games - this ability to tweak the stat output and creating "what if..." scenarios with it is one of them.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymee13
I just accept the bad stats for this year and hopes it will be better next year. I learned to only get aggravated at things I can control. Since I can't control the sim engine, I just live with it.
Oh, I accept it (not much choice) and live with it (again, not much choice), but I don't like it.

Just another year of basically saying "who cares" to your team stats vs the league environment. I get it. I just hate it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »