Home

Best move for cap room on a player

This is a discussion on Best move for cap room on a player within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 7
Best move for cap room on a player

I'm in online franchise I have peppers I'm rebuilding on defense line a bit. I was going to release him as it free up cap room. I was thinking the trade option be nice to but the question is would I get as much cap freedom off the books as a release/cutting him.

If I release him what's the best time begore free agency or during or do you have wait till free agency? If I trade him I free up the same amount cap room as flat out release. I need cap room to start building and pay some my younger players..
NBA team: Chicago Bulls
NHL team: Chicago Blackhawks
NCAA team: Notre Dame
Futbol team: Arsenal
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
Rookie

preaceps's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Best move for cap room on a player

Go into the strategy section and there is a team finance section. Go to Peppers and there is a column that says something like cap savings, I'm not at the xbox atm. It will tell you how much you would save, or lose if negative, if that person is removed from the team.

In madden if you cut or trade a player you still have to pay that players bonus, as a cap penalty. Meaning if a player makes 4M, 2 in salary 2 in bonus cutting that player frees 4M in space, but gives a penalty of 2M which gives 2M in savings total. Again if there is 2 years remaining same numbers as before for both years. Cutting him at that point would be 4M in salary cap space but 2M for this year, 2M for next year for a savings of nothing. Of course this would mean you would save nothing this year but a full 4M next year.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 0

i always draft good potential guys and develop them into solid or superstar players no matter what i already have in each position
if he exceeds starter in 2-3 years, good. i trade starter for future picks. if not, he can be quality back up

in any draft i got numerous 1-3 rd picks so my roster is full of good or superstar players
and i tend to draft not on based on my need
i judge a player on his potential( development rating in CCM)
Old 01-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

Good info above....Just adding to this, another good post below I found to help figure out the puzzle of the salary cap space. Basically says same thing but the key I think is long term contract, you dont want to release or trade long term big money guys as they will spin you into a salary cap nightmare. What I found in M13 (in my CCM anyways) are players with 3 or less years remaining on contract does not hit you at all when you trade or release no matter what there salaries and bonuses are. Done a little testing, not confirmed yet.

When you structure a contract with a big bonus, the extra cap room comes from pro-rating that bonus over the lifetime of the contract. When you trade/cut a player with a long term contract and a big bonus, the entire bonus is accelerated into the current year. That's the cap hit.

Any experts here on salary cap stuff?..lol Thanks!

Last edited by shockman; 01-14-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 10

If you go to the roster and press release on a player it will tell you the cap penalty before you confirm. You can compare this to their salary in the team salaries page. The penalty is usually the bonus. A good way to avoid this annoyance in rebuilding a team is to do a fantasy draft. That way there is not so much reason to release players.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »