Home

Cant stop the pass Online

This is a discussion on Cant stop the pass Online within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Cant stop the pass Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerat
Here's something I've had some success with against the pass.

Go to your Quarters 3-deep formation (every playbook has it) and change the set to SS at MLB. This gives you 8 dbs on the field at once. For maximum effectiveness go to your depth chart and put your 5th CB at your backup SS position then in the playcalling screen sub your #1 SS out and back in at his default position. This will put your CB at MLB which in most cases will give you better man coverage.

From that set you can just run Man 3 Deep, but make sure to press cover so that your CBs aren't playing back by your safeties. This is a pretty effective defense against somebody who is only going to pass the ball as every receiver is manned up by a CB and you still have deep coverage. If there is no threat of them running draw plays you can also sub in your best pass rushers at the 3 down lineman positions.

If you're playing an opponent who is doing more than just dropping back and passing try coming out in that same formation then audible to another formation/play. Personally I like going from the setup above to a 3-3-5 play. What happens in that case is that the LE goes to ROLB and the middle safety goes to nose tackle. From there you can blitz the LE at ROLB and drop the safety at nose tackle into a spy or a hook zone. This can actually get you very good pressure with only a 3 man rush and the zone coming from right over the ball is very effective against quick passes.

The biggest thing to running this D is knowing who you have on your team. If you have the wrong personnel in the wrong spot you can get smoked real bad with this.
This isnt a tip, this is a glitch!

You messed up by saying "sub in then sub out" the same player in order for your glitch to work. Man this is exactly whats wrong with the game, you're no better that those Freestyle players man who always take the easy cheap way to win.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
Banned

Plache's Arena

OVR: 1

Not that I'm great on defense by any stretch of the imagination, I'm definitely not (gave up 73 points in a game yesterday and lost by 4). I have found that if you KNOW and I mean KNOW a pass is coming, hold LT before the play and move your (I think) right stick up to make the defense more aware of a pass. However, if you're wrong - you're gonna get sliced by a run. You can do the same for run left, run right, or just a run play. Hope this helps a little......
Old 12-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke6
This isnt a tip, this is a glitch!

You messed up by saying "sub in then sub out" the same player in order for your glitch to work. Man this is exactly whats wrong with the game, you're no better that those Freestyle players man who always take the easy cheap way to win.
How is it a glitch? The manual sub I referenced is simply a matter of convenience. You can get the same alignment using the depth chart. There's nothing cheap about it. If a team is going to pass 100% of the time then there's no reason not to use 8 dbs. That's realistic football strategy.

As far as "Freestyle players", well yeah that's what Online games against random opponents generally are. If you want to play a sim or more realistic style then don't play online against random people.

What I described is absolutely not a glitch or cheap because it can be utterly destroyed by any draw play.

Last edited by purplerat; 12-27-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerat
How is it a glitch? The manual sub I referenced is simply a matter of convenience. You can get the same alignment using the depth chart. There's nothing cheap about it. If a team is going to pass 100% of the time then there's no reason not to use 8 dbs. That's realistic football strategy.

As far as "Freestyle players", well yeah that's what Online games against random opponents generally are. If you want to play a sim or more realistic style then don't play online against random people.

What I described is absolutely not a glitch or cheap because it can be utterly destroyed by any draw play.

Quote:
For maximum effectiveness go to your depth chart and put your 5th CB at your backup SS position then in the playcalling screen sub your #1 SS out and back in at his default position. This will put your CB at MLB which in most cases will give you better man coverage.
Read that, its no different than what the cheaters and cheesers do online as it is. You are subbing a SS in and out of his default position and this magically makes a DB into an MLB.

And i have seen people destroy draws with 8 DBs in the game let alone the run the game. Its atrocious that we would have to resort to this instead of being SIM-fully creative with your defensive scheme. It may get cheesy playing defense, but you cant help how your opponent plays!
Old 12-28-2012, 02:35 AM   #13
Rookie

Maxil's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Read that, its no different than what the cheaters and cheesers do online as it is. You are subbing a SS in and out of his default position and this magically makes a DB into an MLB.

And i have seen people destroy draws with 8 DBs in the game let alone the run the game. Its atrocious that we would have to resort to this instead of being SIM-fully creative with your defensive scheme. It may get cheesy playing defense, but you cant help how your opponent plays!

I don't see a large problem though, teams adapt players to play out of their normal positions as seasons go on. This is just a way to force the system to do it. Madden itself should just let us stick whatever player we want in any position, with perhaps an awr or pr drop.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:17 AM   #14
Rookie

Shogun613's Arena

OVR: 1

I'm not the best Madden gamer in the word, but when I lose, I rarely get blown out, and I've played games where I've held my opponent under 100 yds passing. The most useful tip I can give you is to play combo defense. Sometimes when I call a cover 3, I might hot route the DB who's lined up over the best receiver to play man. On the flip side, when I call a man D, I might hot a Linebacker to play a certain zone that my opponent likes to attack. Playing combo defense is the one strategy that has helped my pass D the most.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #15
Rookie

Quote:

Magic??? Learn to read. First of all "SS at MLB" is set/formation that is in the game and in every playbook. You know that right-analog-stick thingy, flick it to the left twice from the Quarters Three Deep formation. Secondly CBs are eligible to play SS, thus they are eligible to play MLB in the formation I just mentioned.
Obviously you are reading too much into the manual substitution I mentioned, but the fact is that what I described can be done WITHOUT any manual substitutions, I only use it as a matter of convenience.
Sorry that I don't play the game the way you want me to (send me $60 and maybe I'll consider it). But what I described is certainly not a glitch nor is it cheap. It's something that can easily be beat, including through the air. Furthermore 8 defense back formations are not even out of the question in the NFL/real football, if that's what really matters to you.

Honestly you just sound like somebody who can't figure the game out and would rather excuses than trying to figure it out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun613
I'm not the best Madden gamer in the word, but when I lose, I rarely get blown out, and I've played games where I've held my opponent under 100 yds passing. The most useful tip I can give you is to play combo defense. Sometimes when I call a cover 3, I might hot route the DB who's lined up over the best receiver to play man. On the flip side, when I call a man D, I might hot a Linebacker to play a certain zone that my opponent likes to attack. Playing combo defense is the one strategy that has helped my pass D the most.
Hybrid coverage can be pretty effective as well. I'm sure somebody will complain about altering stock plays, but one of my favorites is to call man 2 under then globally audible all LBs into hook zones. It's a quick setup and pretty safe against most routes.
Personally I've gotten away from changing outside CBs in deep coverage to man because it exposes too much of the field. One exception is when an opponent comes out in a formation that has a TE on the line as the outside guy. The CB coming down into man on a TE when it looks like zone results in a lot of INTs.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »