Home

Crazy free agents?

This is a discussion on Crazy free agents? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Re: Crazy free agents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno2ss
That is about what it took to sign him too, but there was no way I was going to miss out on him. Over half of it is signing bonus as well just to make sure.

I tried to get DRC to go with Peterson but had to settle for Antonio Cromartie. You can really attack with your safeties with those two on the outside.
Hell yeah man. I think I threw 10 million at him and won the bid, and I was surprised at how affordable a corner like DRC was at this point in his career. I've got a slew of good 3rd and 4th CBs on the roster, so I can trust an aggressive approach even against multiple receiver sets. It helps that Branch can cover very well.

I've just finished the pre-season (4-0), and am about to see how the Jason Campbell era 2.0 goes.

I double-checked the FA pool before I hit week one, and all the guys who should have been picked up have been, so there are some guys in the 80s and high 70s at most positions, but none of them is a bonafide starter on a good team, and most are at 30 or over.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #10
Pro

Pandetta's Arena

OVR: 8

Part of that is definitely teams not valuing players accurately.

And, part of it is that the salary cap is not something you can manage like real teams do - IE you can't structure contracts to help you out.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
Banned

Drtro's Arena

OVR: 6

The Falcons won the SB in my CCM yet during the off-season I saw Matt Ryan and Roddy White in the FA.

Tom Brady retired and came back after a year of retirement. Nobody signed him.

I always see Ray Rice and Darren McFadden in the FA.

The draft is still messed up too. Jax had the #1 pick and drafted a storyline HB despite needing a QB. I guess CPU still drafts the highest OVR rated player. Sucks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drtro
I always see Ray Rice and Darren McFadden in the FA.
I'm a Raiders fan and use them in CCM, and I've seriously considered moving him. He's terribly fragile. After a respectable 1,100 yard, 13 TD season (he missed 2 games), he went down with a herniated disk in the playoffs and killed my offense. With him (and Jacoby Ford) it's a matter of when, not if.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #13
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I think one issue is that the CPU values scheme fit over all else, and scheme fit appears to be pretty rigid; it's either "good" or "poor". I've never seen an in-between value.

In the case of Tony Romo and Demarco Murray not being retained by Dallas, Dallas starts off with the "Balanced Offense" scheme under Jason Garrett, and I believe both Romo and Murray are "Zone Run" players. Romo's not young and very expensive anyway; it's entirely possible that the CPU chose to go in a different direction in that regard.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #14
Rookie

vicaddict's Arena

OVR: 1

Are you sure the CPU drafts according to scheme? In FA they usually sign the best player available.

However, I once had J. Laurinaitis, V. Cruz and M. Wallace available in the same FA.
Funny thin occured after season one and two. Suh somehow ended up with the Rams, did not resign and joined the Lions again.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #15
Rookie

NudeUp's Arena

OVR: 4

I had a thought that maybe the higher rated players in FA werent released, but may have just not resigned to test the market.

But there are also times when players SHOULD be released, but stay contracted, eg Sanchez AND Tebow keeping their jobs at the Jets after finishing 32nd. The Jets drafted Robonivich as a franchise QB, but kept the other two as highly paid backups.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »