Home

A Plea to Madden Developers for Next Gen (And Beyond)

This is a discussion on A Plea to Madden Developers for Next Gen (And Beyond) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: A Plea to Madden Developers for Next Gen (And Beyond)

When I wrote this post several of the people I expected to chime in here already have. The reason I grew to love these forums is because most of the posters that have been here for a long time all feel the same way about sports games and in particular, Madden. We all just want a great game to enjoy and have fun with. I could just imagine how AMAZING the leagues and CCM could be with guys from this forum if there was a football game made to the quality of many of the other sports titles on the market today.

I am not an overly pessimistic person. While I havent played any of the Madden's over the last few years for more then a couple weeks. I still believe there is hope for the franchise and I believe Tiburon can deliver. I have said this already but I will say it again. I believe that Madden was rushed to push out Madden 06 for the XBOX 360 launch, and in doing so the foundation was an absolute disaster. I also believe that for the first 3 years (06-09) the direction from the leaders at Tiburon was not where it needed to be. However, I DO feel that changed with Ian and his team in 2010. I believe the developers saw how popular "SIM" sports games were becoming and started shifting focus back to what once made them great. (Not that Madden or any sports game was ever completely SIM but Madden was the standard of sports games for a long, long time) But because the foundation was so flawed I do not think the developers can make Madden play how it should without completely re-writing all the code. To make a drastic change like that it would require atleast a year or two to build and they didnt want to lose sales like that. They began just trying to build on top of it, and over the last two years we have seen several things stripped out and "re-built" but the basic foundation of the game is still so flawed that nothing they do can make Madden play like the other great sports games on the market. (NBA 2k, FIFA, The Show, NHL)

That brings us to this year or next when Madden will once again make the jump to a "next gen" system. I am hoping they have learned from their mistakes and behind the scenes they are putting SERIOUS effort and creative thinking into building a foundation for Madden that will blow the sports gaming community away. Quite frankly, they owe us this as many of us have been loyal to Madden and they have been delivering a poor product since 06'. The developers know what makes a great sports game, they've seen other companies do great things, they have phenomenal forums like these, and I am sure they have many great and creative minds in the building as well.

Blow us away Madden team. Blow the entire sports gaming community away. Make me say "WOW" when I put Madden in the tray for the first time on my XBOX 720.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
Banned

tfer717's Arena

OVR: 0

I agree 1000% with your post. I very much want to LOVE madden. but have really failed to since 2005 or so. I play the game pretty regularly every year, but still the same glaring issues occur. The game is nearly impossible to play at a SIM level. I pretty much suspend my disbelief every time I play it, just because it is the only NFL game made.

I hate to beat a dead horse..but this morning I threw in NFL 2k5 and STILL am awestruck how ahead it is of madden's foundation. The game is just so deep gameplay wise that it is kind of disturbing to then play madden and see the difference. When was the last time Madden gave u a wow moment? I can play 2k5 and still see animations I've never seen before. I throw in madden and I see the same animations multiple times in 1 game. It's sad... and it's even sadder to think of what the football gaming world would be if their was no exclusivity.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:54 AM   #11
Banned

ghettogeeksta's Arena

OVR: 12

I agree with the OP, i hope they don't put Madden 14 out on the next gen consoles Xbox720/PS4. I rather them take their time and release Madden 15 on the next gen consoles in 2014.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 3

They've already lost me, for the time being at least. My plan is to buy the next "new" console towards the end of it's cycle, if at all. Tired of having to put up with the nonsense this industry spews forth.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #13
Banned

ghettogeeksta's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBass
They've already lost me, for the time being at least. My plan is to buy the next "new" console towards the end of it's cycle, if at all. Tired of having to put up with the nonsense this industry spews forth.
Madden has already lost me for years now. But don't blame the consoles, I'm sure their will be plenty of other good games for the next consoles.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 4

I just want a PC version. There's a whole community that would take that game and make it what it's supposed to be. Maybe that's why EA won't make a PC version. They know a handful of people can do better than them. A handful of dedicated fans can fix a lot of stuff that bugs the players.

Anybody remember the teaser trailer for 2006 on the 360? What happened? Where was that game? Maybe next generation will give us that game. Amazing visuals, ridiculously slick presentation, etc.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrormaster
I just want a PC version. There's a whole community that would take that game and make it what it's supposed to be. Maybe that's why EA won't make a PC version. They know a handful of people can do better than them. A handful of dedicated fans can fix a lot of stuff that bugs the players.

Anybody remember the teaser trailer for 2006 on the 360? What happened? Where was that game? Maybe next generation will give us that game. Amazing visuals, ridiculously slick presentation, etc.
Or how about the DPP trailer? It looked insane, then EA says well the commentary was patched in and the visuals of DPP actually wont be there in the real game. The sick part is they totally understand what it takes to get people immersed in the game. Do you see how Gus makes the game a story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxicShBiVWo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #16
Banned

tfer717's Arena

OVR: 0

The game needs to be blown up and re-done, and until the developers realize this... we will be getting more of the same. No patching or band aid fixes can help the terrible foot-planting & zig zag running, the horrendous passing game with morphing defenders. The brutal OL/DL interactions, and just the overall lack of animations in the game. Didn't they say 430 catch animations or some bs? Why do I always see the same 5? We are being lied to year after year and it is depressing.

Something that I often see go unnoticed in the critiquing on here is the little things.. what happened to all the little things in presentation? Being able to choose what type of event a game was.. breast cancer, playoffs, regular season...etc. Now it is only exhibition or super bowl. Why can't I choose the temperature? (it was in plenty of past maddens). The developers remove relatively important functions of the game to give us gimmicks and failed additions year after year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »