Home

QBs with Low Awareness

This is a discussion on QBs with Low Awareness within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-03-2013, 01:22 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: QBs with Low Awareness

I think user QBs with low Awr, the user should only get to see 1 of his players routes after the play calling screen. At the line of scrimmage after the play has been called, by pressing the coaches cam button, only 1 receivers route should come up.
As his Awr goes up then other routes will pop up.
Or maybe even another idea. The WRs will run the right route on the play calling screen, but QBs with low Awr, will see a different route at the line of scrimmage.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:55 AM   #18
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Just from what I see and thoughts about it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maizpan
The Play Recognition rating determines whether and by how much a defender is "fooled" by play action or counter plays (also modified by the QBs play action rating)
Also seems to determine how quickly the player reacts when that initial movement or decision is wrong and "knows" where the play is going (what hole to attack, whether or not to play inside/outside on a receiver, etc)

Seems to determine when the player makes that "change of mind" animation and starts on a new AI decision.

Seems to work with the pass/run reaction sliders - especially run reaction. Low enough, and even the good PRC guys can be slow on the switch. High enough and just about everyone reacts very well. (Caveat for pass reaction as that seems to be more...complicated).

Quote:
The Man and Zone coverage ratings affect the ability to play Man and Zone Coverage.
Staying with the player while in your zone, recognizing a player is in your zone, perhaps well the player reacts to the ball going through his zone. For man, staying with the receiver on routes, contesting catches (for both, actually, it seems - higher MCV/ZCV seem to be the ones to hit guys after/just as they catch the ball with higher chances of knocking it loose).

Quote:
Pursuit determines whether the player takes the "right" angle to the ball carrier.
Also seems to impact speed of the pursuit. It's like "speed modifier when running after a ball carrier". Seems to be a place (the place?) where speed threshold kicks in - making it [speed threshold] maybe a:

Favor Speed <0---------50---------100> Favor Pursuit type slider. Where 0 minimizes the differences in Pursuit (all pretty weak/average, unable to use angles as well to overcome speed differences) while 100 maximizes differences in Pursuit (higher modifier to base speed (SPD), allowing high PUR to overcome raw SPD differences in small distances.

Quote:
In my opinion the only thing the Awareness rating of the defenders could affect is possibly avoiding penalties or recovering fumbles.
AWR definitely seems to impact ball awareness. Recovering fumbles, snatching picks, reacting to the ball in general. This may include pitches - anytime the ball is "visible" in the air, AWR may kick in. This is why I believe QB AWR matters even if User. The rating doesn't go away. The "decision making" part does, but the rest of the impact on the game may/would not.

AWR on the offensive side seems to impact option route decisions, route running locations and adjustments, ball awareness on catches (high AWR receivers tend to fight for tough catches and "turn into a defender" more in terms of helping avoid INTs - I know I can do more forcing the ball to Denarius Moore, whose AWR I've pushed up, than, say, a rookie WR with 50 AWR, or some scrub like Streeter or Criner or [insert back up Raiders TE here, they all suck]. Moore will try for the ball most of the time if he can reach it, the rookie will watch it go by). I believe it impacts sideline catches as well (modify the success of the trait - receiver has to know where he is on the field). Sometimes I see receivers try the sideline catch with too much room (i.e. they could have made a regular catch). High AWR WR seem better at knowing when and where and still toe tapping/foot dragging, even without the trait (the trait might be an AWR bonus in those situations...so high enough and the trait isn't needed as much).

AWR also seems to be a general "reaction time" slider, including response to User input. I try to hit stick with Rolando McClain (developed to 90 AWR in my Raiders CCM) and it goes off like BANG you're dead, ball carrier. I try it with, say, Burris or my 89 POW, 35 AWR FS Bracey and it's like *pulls stick*, *pause*, animation goes off and the situation likely has changed, causing a whiff or a missed tackle because the ball carrier has time to cover, juke, change direction, etc.

But let Bracey get to hit stick someone who's stacked up or contained, and *pulls stick* *pause* *ball carrier still contained* BANG, you're dead ball carrier.

Last edited by KBLover; 01-03-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #19
Rookie

Maizpan's Arena

OVR: 3

As usual, for the most part I agree with what just about everything you have written. However, there are a few areas that I am not completely sure about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Staying with the player while in your zone, recognizing a player is in your zone, perhaps well the player reacts to the ball going through his zone. For man, staying with the receiver on routes, contesting catches (for both, actually, it seems - higher MCV/ZCV seem to be the ones to hit guys after/just as they catch the ball with higher chances of knocking it loose).
I agree that MCV/ZCV affect the players ability to stay with receivers they are matched up against in man or zone. The low rated defender will either lag behind the receiver on a streak or break a second late on a curl. However, I think the reason why you see guys with higher MCV and ZCV skills making more jarring hits is because they are always going to be closer to the receiver when the ball gets there. MCV of 99 will be at most 3 yds away on a 10 yd out and a MCV of 40 will be closer to 6 yds or more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
AWR definitely seems to impact ball awareness. Recovering fumbles, snatching picks, reacting to the ball in general. This may include pitches - anytime the ball is "visible" in the air, AWR may kick in. This is why I believe QB AWR matters even if User. The rating doesn't go away. The "decision making" part does, but the rest of the impact on the game may/would not.
You are probably either correct or very close on this one. Those are probably the areas the awareness ratings of the defender affect. The only thing I have a hard time understanding is why the programmers would have the AWR rating of the QB affect this rating in the defenders. Why would the fact that the defender is playing against RGIII vs. Brady affect whether he recovers a fumble or reacts to a ball in the air? I can understand why the QBs playaction ability would affect the defenders reaction to play action passes, but a blanket AWR boost or penalty doesn't make much sense to me.

Last edited by Maizpan; 01-03-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
I agree that MCV/ZCV affect the players ability to stay with receivers they are matched up against in man or zone. The low rated defender will either lag behind the receiver on a streak or break a second late on a curl. However, I think the reason why you see guys with higher MCV and ZCV skills making more jarring hits is because they are always going to be closer to the receiver when the ball gets there. MCV of 99 will be at most 3 yds away on a 10 yd out and a MCV of 40 will be closer to 6 yds or more.
Good point - definitely makes a lot of sense.

Quote:
You are probably either correct or very close on this one. Those are probably the areas the awareness ratings of the defender affect. The only thing I have hard time understanding is why the progammers would have the AWR rating of the QB affect this rating in the defenders. Why would the fact that the defender is playing against RGIII vs. Brady affect whether he recovers a fumble or reacts to a ball in the air? I can understand why the QBs playaction ability would affect the defenders reaction to play action passes, but a blanket AWR boost or penalty doesn't make much sense to me.
Only reason I can think of is the game is trying to simulate bad reads/vision by the QB (things like not looking off/staring down the receiver, etc), since there's no other way to do so in game.

I don't think the QB AWR impacts the defense on things like pitches or fumble recovery, mostly on passes. I think for fumbles or reacting to pitches - just the individual AWR is at work.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #21
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
I can understand why the QBs playaction ability would affect the defenders reaction to play action passes, but a blanket AWR boost or penalty doesn't make much sense to me.
On PS2 the first defensive slider is "Awareness" it's a global setting that may (or may not) "tier" that distribution of AWR, but I doubt it...

Since Current Gen (PS3) Madden is just new code piled on that old code, it's in there somewhere...

To use PS2 to illustrate:

If "default" is 10, I maintain that the HUM QB AWR can turn that 10 into an 11 (low HUM QB AWR) while a high HUM QB AWR makes that a 9...

It's a vague illustration of the point, but it's pretty easy to see in game...

I WISH it was designed to be more intricate / subtle / complicated, but that's giving the situation WAAAAAY too much credit...

IMHO!!!

Last edited by KingV2k3; 01-03-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »