Home

Madden 12 - passing

This is a discussion on Madden 12 - passing within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
Rookie

Raven Morpheus's Arena

OVR: 0
Madden 12 - passing

Hello

Kind of new to the forums so apologies if this has been asked and discussed (it probably has but I'd appreciate some fresh and specific to my circumstances input).

After watching this seasons SNF on Channel 4 (here in the UK where I live) I decided I wanted to start playing Madden again so I recently bought Madden 12 as it was only £17 on Amazon as I've not played a current gen Madden, the last one I bought and played quite a bit was 08 on the PC, I did own Madden 9 or 10 on the 360 but didn't think much of them, so I thought I'd give 12 a go...

Anyhoo I'm enjoying it so far (to a certain extent) and using the custom rosters and also edited schedules (thanks to Zan for his brilliant roster editor) makes the game even better imho.

However I'm finding one aspect of the game rather problematic and frustrating...

I've started a franchise, with the Raiders, using the updated 2012-2013 roster posted here (dated April 9th 2012 I think, so not absolutely 100% up to date but good enough for me, oddly though I can't actually find the thread I saw it in now!?).

Now, I seem to have mastered the running aspect of the game (with the Raiders at least), it seems relatively straight forward and I just destroyed the Cowboys in a 2012 pre-season week 1 game by 2 TD's simply by running for most of the game, I would probably have scored more if I hadn't turned the ball over as much due to the problem I'm having...

...and you guessed it - the problem is the passing game!

I'm playing on the default All-Pro difficulty, the only thing I've altered is the game speed (slow) penalties (based on recommendations by SEC in his sliders thread I think) and a couple of other bits in the game options like Threshold (0).

In the meantime I've been reading a number of threads about how to improve my passing skills, but it doesn't seem to matter how much I practice or how I throw the ball, or if I wait for guys to get open (usually if I do I get sacked) - I just can't seem to complete 98% of passes.

Meanwhile the CPU tends to pass like crazy on me and completes at least 50% of their throws, many for deep and long yardage, which is more than I can if I adopt the same offensive strategy.

I have also been reading a number of threads regarding sliders and I've tried out a few sets. However most, even if they claim to be for All-Pro seem to put the game difficulty up to a level that is even more unplayable than the passing aspect is already (you can tell the difficulty has increased by the speed of the punt/kickoff meter). And many seem to be for Madden 13, not Madden 12.

My QB seems to be reasonably accurate but when it comes to catching the ball my WR's/TE's are either not looking for the ball (running straight ahead), covered by 3 or 4 guys, or they simply drop the catch. This happens even if I switch to them to try to make a user catch (although I'm not actually all that familiar with all the controls).

Play Action after a number of successful run plays seems to not help matters either, the CPU just doesn't always fall for it and I get sacked (fair enough) or again the WR's/TE's can't catch!

I had a little success in telling a WR/TE to go on a curl route via the menu you get by pressing the up button on the d-pad just prior to the snap (sorry I don't really know the correct terminology for what I'm doing there - is it calling a hot route?), but even that success was short lived.

All of the above is evident no matter what team I play, I've got a 1990 roster Raiders franchise going and I'm having the same passing issues in that, and I was having the same problem with the 2012 Packers and other teams in the Play Now mode.

I'm not a great player by any means (I sometimes barely beat the CPU on default All-Pro, I had a game earlier today against San Diego (using Cursivs 1990 roster). I was the Raiders (rated 91 ovr with a high 80's or even a low 90's rated offense, after adding a couple of extra players needed to fill the roster out so I could play a game in the franchise mode) and I only just scraped a win by 1 point!) hence the reason I wish to make the passing game slightly easier - if/when I get better at it I can up the ante again.

So basically what I'm looking for is some tips on sliders and other things that help improve the passing game on the All-Pro difficulty whilst preserving the All-Pro difficulty level for all the other aspects, i.e. doesn't make running harder, doesn't make defence any more stronger/weaker, just makes passing that little bit more agreeable.

Many thanks.

Last edited by Raven Morpheus; 01-04-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »