Home

Injuries in Madden are Completely Wrong

This is a discussion on Injuries in Madden are Completely Wrong within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2013, 01:54 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 28
Injuries in Madden are Completely Wrong

Why is it that something that is so pivotal to NFL football is done so completely wrong? Injuries in Madden are a simple binary operation. What I mean by that is a player is either injured and can't play or he is 100% healthy. This is very, very weak especially since we had games 10 years old that had this done right.

What's needed to rectify these:

1. When a player is injured, he shouldn't roll around on the ground like a fish out of water
  2. When a player is injured and he can't return to the game right away, he should have a return status, and it should be integrated into the sideline reporting
  3. Speaking of statuses - Probably, doubtful, questionable... Where are they? Mentioned every day in the real NFL - no where to be found in the NFL's exclusively licensed disaster - I mean product
  4. Right after a player gets injured in a CCM, how is it that the time it takes for his return is immediately known? Why can't we make this a lot more realistic? Player return times should fluctuate week to week depending on how his treatment is going. Sometimes a player can be projected to miss 4 weeks, but comes back after 2. Sometimes it's the other way around. This greatly affects gameplanning and strategy week to week. Not to mention temporary signings, etc. etc.
  5. As a head coach, I should have a medical staff that informs me of the risks of playing players who are injured but theoretically could still play. Each week, players on the injured list should have a status (doubtful, questionable, probable).
  6. Players who play hurt should not be themselves. If a guy comes back and plays the week after a knee sprain, he shouldn't be running at full strength. It should affect his cutting and footplanting ability (once footplanting actually surfaces).
If you guys think of any others, please feel free to chime in.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 1
Re: Injuries in Madden are Completely Wrong

Other versions of the game have included the type of injury scenarios you speak of. This is just added to the laundry list of issues that take away from the reality of the game.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

See man, it's threads like this that make it hard for me to understand how anyone can seriously defend Madden as even trying to be a solid NFL simulation video game. Injuries, of all scopes and varying degrees, are a GUARANTEE in the NFL every year but EA Tiburon could not care less about representing that WELL.. I think I read this somewhere else but Madden is really the "B movie" version of sports simulation video games.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
See man, it's threads like this that make it hard for me to understand how anyone can seriously defend Madden as even trying to be a solid NFL simulation video game. Injuries, of all scopes and varying degrees, are a GUARANTEE in the NFL every year but EA Tiburon could not care less about representing that WELL.. I think I read this somewhere else but Madden is really the "B movie" version of sports simulation video games.
My only issue with this, and we've seen this before, as soon as you start to get actual realistic injury numbers people start to complain there are too many injuries.

I am with you, I think realistic injuries are a top priority, but all these guys who preach realism and sim usually are the first to complain when they implement it from an injury standpoint.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
My only issue with this, and we've seen this before, as soon as you start to get actual realistic injury numbers people start to complain there are too many injuries.

I am with you, I think realistic injuries are a top priority, but all these guys who preach realism and sim usually are the first to complain when they implement it from an injury standpoint.
While I agree with this statement, it also highlights the issue with trying to cater Madden football to various tastes, opposed to trying to solidly represent the NFL. I have used this comparison before, that no reasonable person would play NFL Blitz expecting it to be a NFL simulation and likewise reasonable people shouldn't be expecting Madden to be such an arcade game.

EA TIburon seems to have this notion that limited customization options are for achieving optimal simulation, while creating the game to an arcade standard, which is backwards. It seems easy enough to tamper down a well designed NFL simulation video game with various customization options to make it playable for the masses but seemingly impossible to upgrade a fundamentally arcade NFL game for sim gamers.

That's what frustrates me the most about this whole "funned" up direction for NFL football in Madden, is that if they made a solid NFL sim, like the other sports sims on the market, factory settings could still be tailored to please the masses but they choose to just cater to the masses alone. I know it's just business, not personal but coupled with the NFL exclusive it often feels like EA just doesn't want anyone to have a NFL simulation video game to play, lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 16

Agree with most of what you said Taz and great post, only thing I'll say is I've seen my players being projected to be out 8 weeks during the game and then post game in the CCM menu, it telling me actually 4.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »