Home

i want this game to be more like chess match

This is a discussion on i want this game to be more like chess match within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
i want this game to be more like chess match

madden fails in my perspective becuz they make game too unbalaced

one play works everytime or the other play never works no matter how hard u try

just like good rts ( sc was popular cuz their amazing balance between races) i want this game more chess like so i cant predict outcome at any time
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: i want this game to be more like chess match

Your thread title made me think of APF 2k8 and how every game used to be a chess match. Every play you had to look for your star players and where the other persons star players were lined up. You had to take advantage of weaknesses and holes in the defense if you ever wanted to have a chance of moving the ball downfield. Now adays in madden give any kid the instruction manual and in a few hours he will be able to beat the CPU even on all-madden. Thats just stupid. I want the game to be like a chess match as well, which is something every football game should strive for.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
Rookie

I agree to a point, but Madden 13 is better in this aspect than previous ones (not familiar with APF 2k8). I've noticed that I can have wild success with a play one game, then lose yards every time I run it next game. It's not perfect; some plays are generally more effective than others, but I've noticed most can go either way.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
Rookie

You'll never get your dream because people like you and I that want this, want what football is supposed to be, are a minority. This sport is all about match ups, play calling, personnel switching, and team building which is why I like running a CCM offline myself. Allows me to build. But when the devs tried to make Madden 13 like this with no fantasy draft so people couldn't just stack their team, with no "instantly starting and 99 overall" superstar mode, and a better defence that would make you pay dearly with 8 interceptions a game....people complained. They complained and complained until they got a patch that made the cpu a bit dumber and allowed them to do whatever they want as over powered as they please. Now anyone can rack up over 400 yards passing with almost every QB in the game and start with a 66 overall at QB on Denver if they want. This will never become a chess match as long as people want to play a video game like that. When in doubt in your pocket, press B.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #5
MVP

TreFacTor's Arena

OVR: 24

When was the last time a chess video game sold 3 mill? A Madden that replicates the strategy of football with the abilities of the players on the field will never happen. Its a video game therefore it's considered as a toy and is designed that way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
Rookie

Madden has almost always been an offensive shootout, that's what people want when they play it. Most people don't want to struggle for a 9-3 win, but I find so much satisfaction in it when playing the computer in a season game.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinCakeless
You'll never get your dream because people like you and I that want this, want what football is supposed to be, are a minority. This sport is all about match ups, play calling, personnel switching, and team building which is why I like running a CCM offline myself. Allows me to build. But when the devs tried to make Madden 13 like this with no fantasy draft so people couldn't just stack their team, with no "instantly starting and 99 overall" superstar mode, and a better defence that would make you pay dearly with 8 interceptions a game....people complained. They complained and complained until they got a patch that made the cpu a bit dumber and allowed them to do whatever they want as over powered as they please. Now anyone can rack up over 400 yards passing with almost every QB in the game and start with a 66 overall at QB on Denver if they want. This will never become a chess match as long as people want to play a video game like that. When in doubt in your pocket, press B.
Still, it isn't out of the realm of possibility that some options be given a toggle switch. Ultimately, this is a video game, and the people who buy it and want to get all the best players on their team and win every game 103-0 aren't in the wrong. But neither are the people who want to be challenged. And not to over-simplify the programming side of it, there are so many things that could be either turned on or off that would make the game more playable to both parties.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreFacTor
When was the last time a chess video game sold 3 mill?
Off-topic, but the massive market penetration of free chess games, online and offline, probably has something to do with this. I've never purchased a chess game myself, but I've played plenty of digital chess games, most notably Yahoo online chess and a chess app that was included with my Macbook Pro.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »