Home

Retirement And Bonus Money.

This is a discussion on Retirement And Bonus Money. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Retirement And Bonus Money.

I don't know the answer, but my guess would be that you don't have to pay the remaining money. In theory, that would create a loophole in the player's benefit where they could sign a deal for big guaranteed money, retire, and get all that cash for not playing.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
Pro

speedtrucker's Arena

OVR: 4

technically the team will still be on the hook for the signing bonus as it counts against the cap.

the signing bonus is earned the moment they sign the contract but the NFL allows it to be prorated over the life of the contract. so rather than paying all 10 million for the signing bonus on day 1 of the contract and having it count against the cap right away, the cap hit can be split out over the life of the contract, say 2 mil a year for 5 years. if player X retires after year 4 the team will still have the last 2 mil payment count against them in year 5 but they will not have year 5's salary hit. despite the fact that they already paid 10 mil on day 1.

so retirement will only knock off the actual salary hit against the cap, not the bonus hit for the rest of the contract years that went unfulfilled.

Last edited by speedtrucker; 01-25-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #11
Pro

speedtrucker's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajb3313
I don't know the answer, but my guess would be that you don't have to pay the remaining money. In theory, that would create a loophole in the player's benefit where they could sign a deal for big guaranteed money, retire, and get all that cash for not playing.
nope if that happens a team can sue the player to get back their bonus money. you should remember this with your Dolphins logo, Ricky Williams was sued by the Dolphins to recoup their lost bonus money after he retired and went to australia. the Lions sued Barry Sanders for the bonus money they had just given him when he re-upped with them prior to abruptly retiring. if it is a ligit retirement there isn't as much guff, if it is injury related then you just have to eat it, but if someone does something shady then you can expect lawsuits to follow.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #12
Rookie

vicaddict's Arena

OVR: 1

Even if the team, we are talking about Madden and not real life, were due, since we are not making any money and just have to work with the salary, where is the harm? Is there some sort of limit for signing bonuses? I haven't seen any, so technically we could sign any player to a large signing bonus und a low salary and undermine the cap.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #13
Pro

speedtrucker's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicaddict
Even if the team, we are talking about Madden and not real life, were due, since we are not making any money and just have to work with the salary, where is the harm? Is there some sort of limit for signing bonuses? I haven't seen any, so technically we could sign any player to a large signing bonus und a low salary and undermine the cap.
The bonus counts against the cap, in madden. That's why it's split out over the life of the contract.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:26 AM   #14
Rookie

vicaddict's Arena

OVR: 1

Really? I never noticed that. Then what's the point in implementing it in the first place?
Old 01-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 8
This is what I found...
What happens if a player is traded or retires?

Answer: We already know that if a player is waived on or before June 1, the remaining signing bonus that has not been included in salary “accelerates” and is included in that year’s team salary. Acceleration also occurs when a player is traded or waived and picked up by another team. The new team is not responsible for any of the original signing bonus. The team that waived or traded the player is responsible for the accelerated signing bonus (in the same manner as described above).

In most cases, if a player retires, the remaining signing bonus that has not been included in salary “accelerates” and is included in that year’s team salary. Thus, the team will take an immediate salary cap hit of the remaining signing bonus.

Sent from my head to my finger tips to ur eyes
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »