Home

What's the ONE thing you must see in Madden 14 before you buy it?

This is a discussion on What's the ONE thing you must see in Madden 14 before you buy it? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #65
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: What's the ONE thing you must see in Madden 14 before you buy it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by at23steelers
Even with that, it's not like the attendees just didn't respond with much of anything. As I recall they said stuff like "most innovative feature ever, throwing away M12 because of the new features." They had tremendous praise for M13? Now, Im curious if they were told to do that? TO Big FN Deal point, no matter how good IE is, if there isn't footplanting, OL interaction, a broken challenge system, then the IE improvements are all relative to all the broken features still left untouched and disregarded.
I understand all that, but remember, Madden sites all across the web have been clamoring for a physics system for several years. Heck, I've seen post in the past it's either physics or bust.

Imagine being surprised because the IE came out of left field. I could imagine walking out of CD and saying, wow, they listened.

I'm just as disappointed as the next person is with Madden, but we didn't know about broken features or features left out close to the game shipping. To me, that's all hindsight.

It was no surprise about line interaction, either, especially since they announced on video that little was done with it.

Last edited by roadman; 01-28-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #66
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by at23steelers
Even with that, it's not like the attendees just didn't respond with much of anything. As I recall they said stuff like "most innovative feature ever, throwing away M12 because of the new features." They had tremendous praise for M13? Now, Im curious if they were told to do that? TO Big FN Deal point, no matter how good IE is, if there isn't footplanting, OL interaction, a broken challenge system, then the IE improvements are all relative to all the broken features still left untouched and disregarded.
Agree here completely. Also, go look at the guy who posted the Madden 2004 greatest ever comeback video. Watch the whole thing. Aside from the technology being severely dated (10 years worth), you can see all of the same animations in that version that you see in this year's game. In fact, the player movement is actually better in the Madden 2004 video than it is in M13.

doesn't anyone remember mosier and Ryno talking about nagasaki and hiroshima? Or how Madden 12 was being thrown away? How it was the most realistic Madden ever? You can go back to 2010, change the names and dates and you would not be able to tell the difference. There is nothing an EAGC is ever going to tell me that I will believe, positive OR negative. I see the crap fest for myself and can see that very little changes and it's done that way purposely. I was told that the running backwards QB was gone, yet I watched in videos from E3 showing Christian Ponder running backwards with pressure in his face, do a 360 then throw a 30 yard strike. "It's an early build" was the excuse (like it always is), yet I am supposed to believe on the other hand that the build doesn't change that much from start to finish?

While the intentions of SOME GCs is good, They are simply being used as marketing pawns to influence their respective community groups. "Look at how much we LOVE this game, you will too!". I hate to use this example, but I'm a realist. let's examine the sim standard guys. Their intentions are good, but will the developers REALLY take their input over someone who runs a madden site and is inherently promoting their game? However, the clever Dewiel (who carefully picks and chooses the people who have a say mind you), can now tell people, "look, we even brought in Madden's biggest critics from the past, so how can you say we don't care?". Why isn't Moody there then? The guy has offered to pay for everything himself, has outlined an unbelievable level of detail regarding what needs to be fixed, yet he's been completely ignored.

The reaction to Madden by these GC groups is built purely from nostalgic emotion. They have loved Madden over the years and it somehow causes frustration when the real facts about the game are exposed. There is no objectivity. I used to LOVE madden more than anything when it was good and I've been playing it since it's inception. However, just because I WANT it to be great (or even good) doesn't cloud what I actually see when I play it. I preferred 2k football once it hit the street, but Madden on last gen was a GREAT game. Had it progressed at all it would probably still be great. Now, it's barely above tolerable, and has not evolved at all. In fact, it's gone backwards. I've also seen more and more arrogance from some of the developers who don't want to face the fact that they've spent long hours polishing a colossal turd. Who would?

All of this is truly unfortunate, and after the last 2 years, I don't believe any GCs will be taken seriously on this site. there is no doubt that guys who go there are being told what they can and can't say. They are threatened with legal action. There is no way EA is going to allow someone to be honest, it would only hurt sales since the game is as bad as it is. Phobia told the truth and look what happened to him. There is a lot of angst built up towards Madden now. Many old time players have given it up. None of my friends who I grew up with that were Madden faithfuls even play it anymore. EA could give a rat's a$$ too. They know that there is a younger generation of gamers who have never had the opportunity to play any other NFL game, and those will be the consumers they target.

AJ will always have my utmost respect for what he did. Maybe it wasn't the most tactful or professional outburst, but it was truthful and simply confirmed what we all knew that goes on there. The one saving grace will be when another developer can make an NFL game, and they show us that it wasn't as hard as these sorry bunch of clowns try to make us think it is.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #67
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
As an EAGC and someone I believe to want Madden to be as good a sports sim as the other top sports sims out there how do you square what you consistently see come out of EA Tiburon with what they claim to want to produce, a realistic football game?

I went back and read a brief discussion we had about player movement not being addressed in M13. Even with so many EAGC and CD/CE attendees seemingly wanting it addressed and pushing for it, it still got pushed into the "maybe next year" category. So when playing these early builds, regardless of what seems promising or has potential, how are you so optimistic, considering what's still clearly going to be missing again, even at that point?
This is a good question. What I think it comes down to is that each of us has a separate tolerance level for sports games. YES, I know we all want and expect sim. But there are some things that each of us individually can deal with. For example, player movement; it needs to be improved vastly and in a hurry. But player movement by itself did not ruin my experience in M10-M12. So while I was disappointed it wasn't improved for '13, I knew it wouldn't completely detract from my experience b/c I do play mostly offline.

As for my optimism, it stems from the developers recognizing it's an issue, and me embracing the likelihood that it'll get fixed. In the short term, I'll enjoy what I have and appreciate the other enhancements to the game.

The reality is that I'm no different than most that roam these boards. We'd all probably agree that Taz is the most maniacal Madden critic roaming OS. He seems to HATE the game. But each year I've been on OS, he's at some point mentioned his online league and how competing against his buds is enjoyable. He's playing the same game that you and I have access to. How's he having fun despite Madden's shortcomings?

It goes back to each of us having our own individual tolerance for what we'll deal with in a sports game, and finding our enjoyment in unique ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
I am SOOOO glad you wrote this instead of me
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
However, just because I WANT it to be great (or even good) doesn't cloud what I actually see when I play it. I preferred 2k football once it hit the street, but Madden on last gen was a GREAT game.
What makes Madden on last gen a GREAT game? I always ask this question as I don't comprehend how people can ridicule this gen's Madden offerings, yet praise last gen when it was inferior to what we have now in many respects: poor OL/DL, poor WR/DB, presentation, cartoony player models, etc.

P.S. I feel like I have to say this every year, but the community managers don't give a DAMN about what you say post CD as long as it's fair and it doesn't break the NDA. From what I've gathered in the past, Dewiel would rather you not say anything at all, truthfully. There's no pressure on their part to muffle your opinions as long as they fit the criteria that I mentioned.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #68
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles36
What makes Madden on last gen a GREAT game? I always ask this question as I don't comprehend how people can ridicule this gen's Madden offerings, yet praise last gen when it was inferior to what we have now in many respects: poor OL/DL, poor WR/DB, presentation, cartoony player models, etc.
I believe people think last gen madden was GREAT bc it was GREAT for its time, compared to every other sports game it was the cream of the crop and was the most enjoyable and polished; as much as it could be on those consoles.

Then we look forward to this gen and every iteration of madden so far has been Sub-Par compared to other sports titles today, other football games 5 & 8 years older than it, and the most telling; WHAT IT COULD AND SHOULD BE. The ridicule comes when the only thing that has really changed in these past 8 or so years is the Cartoony Player Models.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #69
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

I agree with parts of the above, but I think the 1st part is subjective.

My thing back then was playing more baseball vs football games and my favorite was High Heat. Played High Heat year round, football, not so much. Back then, I thought High Heat was the cream of the crop, so, to each their own in that area.

I'd spend hours and hours playing that game and there was ASB, World Series Baseball, MVP, etc........

I do understand Madden being compared to even some of their own brands today, like FIFA and NHL and MLB and Madden isn't in the same ballpark at this time.

Who knows what the future holds?
Old 01-28-2013, 10:37 PM   #70
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles36
This is a good question. What I think it comes down to is that each of us has a separate tolerance level for sports games. YES, I know we all want and expect sim. But there are some things that each of us individually can deal with. For example, player movement; it needs to be improved vastly and in a hurry. But player movement by itself did not ruin my experience in M10-M12. So while I was disappointed it wasn't improved for '13, I knew it wouldn't completely detract from my experience b/c I do play mostly offline.

As for my optimism, it stems from the developers recognizing it's an issue, and me embracing the likelihood that it'll get fixed. In the short term, I'll enjoy what I have and appreciate the other enhancements to the game.

The reality is that I'm no different than most that roam these boards. We'd all probably agree that Taz is the most maniacal Madden critic roaming OS. He seems to HATE the game. But each year I've been on OS, he's at some point mentioned his online league and how competing against his buds is enjoyable. He's playing the same game that you and I have access to. How's he having fun despite Madden's shortcomings?

It goes back to each of us having our own individual tolerance for what we'll deal with in a sports game, and finding our enjoyment in unique ways.
I appreciate the response and respect it. However, to the bold, I think there is a difference in making the best of a bad situation with like minded gamers and having fun with the game despite it's shortcomings. I had written an entire post about this in reply to Road but decided to just let it go. For instance, why don't statements like "I will have fun with the game despite it's ____ shortscomings" seem to come out from those in the community able to go to EA Tiburon earlier? That's essentially what I am getting at is that it would be refreshing, for me at least, to see an EAGC or CD/CE attendee after the first time at EA Tiburon state something like "Player movement, line play, penalties, injuries, etc, are untouched but aren't game killers for me anyway, so I think with the new features being added, this Madden will be an enjoyable improvement." You know, just some acknowledgement that these issues still exist and that they are in fact considered issues.

No offense but instead we seem to be given the impression that the new features and polish of the new game, somehow alleviate or mask the legacy issues. Like at23steelers stated, I don't see how people could have talked about about IE, without player movement, foot planting, animation variation, etc not being addressed, added for context. I would have thought that in someone's early preview/blog about IE, this would have been mentioned.

Anyway, it's all good man, nice to see I am not on your ignore list yet but that may all change come the M14 hype train and Groundhog Day, lol.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:41 PM   #71
Banned

OVR: 19

Number 1 on my list is foot planting and the running animations it looks like there skating on green ice.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #72
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I appreciate the response and respect it. However, to the bold, I think there is a difference in making the best of a bad situation with like minded gamers and having fun with the game despite it's shortcomings. I had written an entire post about this in reply to Road but decided to just let it go. For instance, why don't statements like "I will have fun with the game despite it's ____ shortscomings" seem to come out from those in the community able to go to EA Tiburon earlier? That's essentially what I am getting at is that it would be refreshing, for me at least, to see an EAGC or CD/CE attendee after the first time at EA Tiburon state something like "Player movement, line play, penalties, injuries, etc, are untouched but aren't game killers for me anyway, so I think with the new features being added, this Madden will be an enjoyable improvement." You know, just some acknowledgement that these issues still exist and that they are in fact considered issues.

No offense but instead we seem to be given the impression that the new features and polish of the new game, somehow alleviate or mask the legacy issues. Like at23steelers stated, I don't see how people could have talked about about IE, without player movement, foot planting, animation variation, etc not being addressed, added for context. I would have thought that in someone's early preview/blog about IE, this would have been mentioned.

Anyway, it's all good man, nice to see I am not on your ignore list yet but that may all change come the M14 hype train and Groundhog Day, lol.
Here's the thing, though. Understand I'm trying to think like Tibouron, not like a frustrated Madden gamer.

We found out Tibouron decided to take the risk and come out with IE in January. The EAGC and CD attendees visited in February, but didn't learn of IE until March.

Once March rolls around, there is 4 months left for the game to go gold. I'm not a programmer by any means, but our son is studying to be one or will be. Is it humanly possible to tackle(pun intended) foot planting, player movement, line play, penalties, etc.....? To me, that sounds like a huge undertaking, but again, not a programmer.

Maybe it was suggested and the response was, we will try to do our best to get it in or make adjustments.

Once we received the game, IE was like a bowling ball knocking down the pins. They did adjust on the first patch.

I just don't think there was enough time to address all of the needs with player movement.

If they would have fixed line play, player movement, and penalties last year and rolled IE this year, maybe 13 would have been a much better game, but those items to move games off shelves, IE does.

My take.

Last edited by roadman; 01-28-2013 at 11:16 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »