Home

Kickoff and Punt Returns

This is a discussion on Kickoff and Punt Returns within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Kickoff and Punt Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDelta
As KBLover said, it improves blocking, especially on punt returns having good KR and BCV rating can have a big impact.
Thanks, will change how I assess returners in future now, it won't just be speed, acceleration and agility.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 11

SPD, ACC and AGI are still VERY important but yeah RET and BCV play a role, too.

I've seen two blocked kicks (never a punt) in M13 so far, both happened on a quick snap by the CPU, sometimes on a kick the CPU immediately snaps the ball and kicks it after you choose the play, which seems to mess up blocking assignments so if you're lucky someone can come in unblocked from the edge. Other than that, I haven't even come close to blocking a kick/punt.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:20 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 10

EDIT: If you have a 90+ speed, accel, and agility even if hes bad at kicks, put him in

My season results:
(All by DeSean Jackson)

7 Kick Return TD's
4 Punt Return TD's

For Kick Returns, ALWAYS do kick return left or right, once all your blockers are to one side of the field there's a 30% chance you'll take it to the house, just hope to get lucky and break 1 tackle. I don't know if I've ever got a ko return TD just running up the mid it rarely ever works, also always move you head blocker to where your going to go.

For Punt Returns, I normally run it up the middle and then at the last second before I get tackled, bounce to the outside, by doing so you are exploiting maddens poor AI system, but you get touchdowns! Other times I try to break a tackle run backwards and go the opposite direction.

Last edited by TheMaddenGerbal; 02-02-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 0

Having a guy with a decent skill move set (spin, juke, stiff arm, trucking) in addition to elusiveness is great as well. Elusiveness is immense for breaking tackles, and if you can draw a lot of would be tacklers off guard with a well timed spin move or juke it can be enough to create the space you need to take the football to the house.

Speed, agility, acceleration, ball carrier vision, return rating, and elusiveness I would say are the top 6 traits to look for, followed by spin and juke moves, and then if the guy has high enough strength, trucking and stiff arm can become useful too.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #21
All Star

azdawgpound's Arena

OVR: 21

i always do kick return middle and have gotten like 10 or so so far i've returned 3 or 4 punt returns for td's i got my first in awhile KR and PR for td in same game in my first pre season game in 2nd season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #22
Rookie

andeftw's Arena

OVR: 6

I've tried a new method in my last few games, running towards one side and then completely changing direction and running up the other sideline. I've returned a punt for a TD against the Broncos and a kickoff for a TD against the Falcons in back to back games. Of course, if I don't get the right blocking, I'll be stuffed at the 20 on kickoffs and barely get 5-10 yards on punt returns.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »