Home

What commentary improvements do you hope to see in Madden 14?

This is a discussion on What commentary improvements do you hope to see in Madden 14? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21
What commentary improvements do you hope to see in Madden 14?

I know some people felt like Gus Johnson was too over the top and didn't work with Madden. So last year they went with Nantz/Simms and some people felt they didn't show enough emotion/excitement. What commentary improvements do you hope to see in Madden 14 with Nantz and Simms that will make for a better and more immersive experience?

In game I'd like to see more in depth analysis, maybe have some "Philosophy" breakdowns with a teleprompter.

I would like to see Nantz/Simms on screen during halftime giving a recap and analysis and things to watch in the second half.

In the post game I think they could come back on screen again and recap the game and maybe talk about next week's big game or something along that line.

There also needs to be more players names mentioned during play by play and not just generic lines like the qb takes the snap, makes his reads, the wr makes the catch... I think the play by play in 13 was better than 12, but still has a ways to go.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: What commentary improvements do you hope to see in Madden 14?

Your mention of Philosophy just made me think of Phil's-osophy from Modern Family, so that's a good thing.

I'd like to see more player names mentioned, as you already suggested, but without what they say being linked to a specific time or season. In the past, they've talked about Tom Brady's performance from the previous real-life season even if you're 6-5 years into a franchise. And of course, there's the issue of winning a second Super Bowl with a team that previously hadn't won any (Texans, Lions) and the commentators announcing the win as your first.

It'd also be nice if they could nail down more down-and-distance specific reactions, which would extend to crowd interaction. If a team is driving to take the lead and converts a fourth down, there should be some excitement from both the commentators and the audience. Instead, everyone reacts the same as if a first down is converted in the second quarter.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
Banned

MaddenSaints's Arena

OVR: 13

I want them to have more emoticon, such as if your about to score a Touchdown with 3 seconds left and you are 10 yards from the Endzone in the Superbowl. The commentators should be like its now or never, they need a touchdown to win the Superbowl, brees drops back, looks...throws...and it's caught for a touchdown!!! The New Orleans saints have won the Superbowl with seconds remaining! They can't believe it!...

Then after the game it should go to the Studio where in the background you can see the field with the players and camera men etc with confetti falling down and the commentators should be talking about the last play which won it all whilst the highlight is now on screen. Madden could even draw a circle around the wid receiver right from the snap, watching the receiver catch the ball, just like they do in real life. Stuff like this bring a big thing into a game.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
SOLDIER, First Class...

JazzMan's Arena

OVR: 23

Call me crazy, but I actually liked Gus Johnson on Madden...

Green Bay Packers
Utah Jazz
Nebraska Cornhuskers

Dibs: AJ Lee
Old 01-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
All Star

azdawgpound's Arena

i'd like for them not to repeat the same lines over and over threw the game...tired of hearing and hes dropping back hoping to not get sacked for 4th time today everytime my qb drops back. i agree i think every players name should be said i mean they say its suppose be what u see on sundays and u dont see the announcer's on sunday saying and the qb dropped back or the wr dropped ball etc etc. im tired of the top 12 players getting there voices etc put in game u can't tell me they can find clear voices of top 12 but none for other 20 qb's? serious??lol.

i think they need more excitment calling the games not gus johnson excitment where u bust off 2 yard run and he comes unglued out his seat screaming but it seem's to me like every game's the same if its reg season or playoff's.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #6
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyklug2013
Call me crazy, but I actually liked Gus Johnson on Madden...
Old 01-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

This the area of Madden 14 that I actually have hope of it improving due to the unfiltered interaction offered by ChaseB here:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ommentary.html

I wish this was the approach that more devs and programmers took with OS concerning Madden, instead of being seemingly so sensitive about this game.

Anyway, I hope to see more generic lines used with with he, they, them, etc with complimenting camera work and overlays. Reason being, I believe this allows the game to have way more universal lines of commentary than specific lines tied to names and allows for a more natural sound than the breaks to insert ____ name. I completely agree having the commentary say "the QB" or any given position sounds odd but using various pronouns in the audio and having the visuals work with that to identify who they are referring to could make for a very good system, imo.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

TBH I always thought not having specific anecdotes about the players made NCAA football commentary better. There seemed to be a larger variety of things they could say about the game because space wasn't being wasted on lines about players and teams that weren't appearing in the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »