Home

How can I take advantage of big receivers?

This is a discussion on How can I take advantage of big receivers? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
Rise up!

GruffyMcGuiness's Arena

OVR: 6
How can I take advantage of big receivers?

My WR's are 5'10, 6' and 5'9 but I recently got a tall receiver late in the draft (Armani Romero) and I'm trying to figure out how to take advantage of his 6'4 height. When I try lob deep balls, the cb's run in front of him and pick it while he stands there. When I try fades at the endzone, the safeties and cb's get random speed bursts and break up the passes.

Suggestions?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
Rookie

lilgame06's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: How can I take advantage of big receivers?

im curious to see some answers to this question as well. It was much easier to throw the ball high to tall receivers in Madden 12 then it is in Madden 13. The new total passing control seems to have taken away the ability to throw the ball high consistently, as it seems when you hold up on the stick when you throw, it leads the pass up the field more, rather than putting the ball higher in the air.

And as the OP said, lobs down the field seem to result in that WR just letting the CB get the position on him and making he play, rather than the WR using his height and strength to gain his own position. Funny enough, when its the otherway around, and cpu is lobbing to their tall WRs, their WRs seem to do a good job at getting position in front of user CBs/Safeties.

Same with fades in the endzone...cpu will easily get these great animations where their guys go up and snatch the ball down, while our defenders watch helplessly. But flip the scenario around, and the cpu defenders sprint like mad men to break up the fade, while our WR just lazily makes lame attempt at the catch.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

When you make a throw, do you actively switch to the receiver you threw the ball to or do you just let the CPU try to make the catch?

I've found that if you swap to your receiver and try to manually high point the pass, you can position yourself in front of defensive backs and make the catch. It doesn't work 100% of the time of course, but I don't think I've ever really seen the CPU go up to make those types of grabs (maybe once out of the hundreds of games I've played).
Old 01-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
Rookie

JagsFan58's Arena

Problem is that you cant really use any advantage. Only thing you need in this game really is speed, height or jumping doesnt really mean anything, especially with 1 on 1 or 1 on 2 cause the defender will always win usually
Old 01-31-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

I always use my big Wrs In a few ways:

-on deep routes you actually want to hold DOWN on the controller so you "under throw" him this year. This makes sure the cb doesn't race ahead and pick it off and lets your we stop, pivot and leap for the catch.

-fades in the end zone: lean the stick to the outside of the route and make sure you're lobbing it so you get a jump ball.

-finally: almost every big wr will come with a high release rating to compensate for their usual lack of speed. These guys can kill on short routes if the CBs press.

But I always have more success with speed Wrs because madden doesn't quite emulate using your body effectively to make the catch, so it's a battle of your Wrs speed vs the CBs speed and coverage rating.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
Rookie

lilgame06's Arena

yea, I know I can't expect Madden to emulate height and use of body positioning properly yet to this point. But hopefully someday we will get to that point. Tall guys need love too!!! lol
Old 01-31-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
Rookie

Sheik's Arena

The fade route near the endzone takes a lot to get used to. You can throw it quickly as a one step drop pass after the receiver looks in as an almost back shoulder throw...which will on most occasions trigger the spec catch animation. Or you can wait for them to gain position and throw the jump ball.

throw the ball high for bigger, taller receivers..
and up their awareness and route running

route running makes it increasingly difficult for defensive backs to keep up with receivers as they get through their routes. this allows for those milliseconds of separation so you can deliver the ball. speed receivers get open due to speed and acceleration. bigger receivers use deceptive routes

high awareness almost assures that they know the ball is coming.
if you don't plan on user catching, you really need to get their awareness up so they'll make effort all the way through the catching process.
also, the curl is a great big receiver route because once they fend the defensive back off and catch the ball, they still have to be tackled.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
Rookie

adamshpe's Arena

Find a receiver with a high jump rating and spectacular catch rating...perfect example Brandon Marshall. If you fade it to him in the endzone he typically will jump up to get it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »