Home

can't seem to throw high jump balls

This is a discussion on can't seem to throw high jump balls within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #9
Rookie

Sheik's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: can't seem to throw high jump balls

big receivers with high spectacular catch, jumping, catch in traffic, catch, & AWARENESS

trust me. just push up on the left stick when you throw to push the ball a little higher so they have to jump, and use medium pressure on the button. pass sensitivity is a big thing, so you'll have to work on it.

also, when you throw over linebackers, you have to time it pretty well, don't push up on the stick for this throw, you just want to lob it into a free zone behind the linebacker...just be sure there's atleast 5 years in front of the linebacker and 10 yards behind them and no safety support.
those are the types of throws where the receiver is going to get hit soon as the ball it caught, it's a very time sensitive issue.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
Banned

CJ10's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheik
big receivers with high spectacular catch, jumping, catch in traffic, catch, & AWARENESS

trust me. just push up on the left stick when you throw to push the ball a little higher so they have to jump, and use medium pressure on the button. pass sensitivity is a big thing, so you'll have to work on it.

also, when you throw over linebackers, you have to time it pretty well, don't push up on the stick for this throw, you just want to lob it into a free zone behind the linebacker...just be sure there's atleast 5 years in front of the linebacker and 10 yards behind them and no safety support.
those are the types of throws where the receiver is going to get hit soon as the ball it caught, it's a very time sensitive issue.

I have to disagree with lobbing over the linebackers is the way this should normally be done, in the game maybe yes, even though I still get linebackers skating backward to leap and knock my ball down.

Me and a buddy discussed this during the packers niners game. Rodgers zipped a pass right over a LB head and he barely left the ground. This is because in real life LB's don't have 30 to 40 inch vertical jumps. That's why they're linebackers lol. Madden needs to implement this better.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #11
Pro

OVR: 21

With true jump balls, the game ruins the opportunity for it to work correctly.

Both defender and WR will stop and turn but the ball trajectory will determine who make the catch more than anything else.

Generally speaking about 10 feet from the player the ball will arch back up in the air to "complete" the pass.

This was done to fix last years issue where the arch of the pass was under exaggerated and had the ball going straight into the ground.

Either way you slice it, take a good look at what the players and ball do to complete animations and you will see height and attributes really don't matter.

Nobody is going to "attack" the ball at its highest point or "box out" the opponent, not possible with the ball changing in flight.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanMoody21
With true jump balls, the game ruins the opportunity for it to work correctly.

Both defender and WR will stop and turn but the ball trajectory will determine who make the catch more than anything else.

Generally speaking about 10 feet from the player the ball will arch back up in the air to "complete" the pass.

This was done to fix last years issue where the arch of the pass was under exaggerated and had the ball going straight into the ground.

Either way you slice it, take a good look at what the players and ball do to complete animations and you will see height and attributes really don't matter.

Nobody is going to "attack" the ball at its highest point or "box out" the opponent, not possible with the ball changing in flight.
Yep.. about the closest thing to a box out is if the CB is behind the WR. Then he has no chance to get the pass - but the WR doesn't actively try to make this happen. It's more the DB's lack of coverage/awareness/PRC/Plays the Ball that determines it.

Only other high pass is I can get to sometimes happen is just up and pass button - but that's not a "jump ball" situation.

Height could matter - but the game is still more die roll events and not enough REAL physics and physical attributes making a difference. The "physics" can twist my players' arms and legs around but can't make a 6' 7", 250 lb TE a monster to deal with consistently.

There's still morphing or whatever it's called (defenders hands can "go through" the ball - I've seen passes I've made that were like 'wow, how did that make it' and I check the replay...and it shouldn't have made it, should have been a swat down), and that can ruin some plays, too.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 4

thanks for the replies. i was indeed using the left stick.
last night in the Superbowl i had a WR on a post 6 yards behind a linebacker.

i tried to press up and felt my man was "open."

linebacker jumps up and a close game is over. i lost. not just on that play but that may have cost me points both ways...

the game needs to implement proper arcing of touch passes and like someone said, WRs need to "box out" defenders and attack the ball at the highest point; this is sorely lacking and makes realism a long way off.

thanks again.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #14
Banned

Does anyone know how to through a strike with a little air under it? Like a high bullet pass?
Old 02-04-2013, 05:55 AM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Yep.. about the closest thing to a box out is if the CB is behind the WR. Then he has no chance to get the pass - but the WR doesn't actively try to make this happen. It's more the DB's lack of coverage/awareness/PRC/Plays the Ball that determines it.

Only other high pass is I can get to sometimes happen is just up and pass button - but that's not a "jump ball" situation.

Height could matter - but the game is still more die roll events and not enough REAL physics and physical attributes making a difference. The "physics" can twist my players' arms and legs around but can't make a 6' 7", 250 lb TE a monster to deal with consistently.

There's still morphing or whatever it's called (defenders hands can "go through" the ball - I've seen passes I've made that were like 'wow, how did that make it' and I check the replay...and it shouldn't have made it, should have been a swat down), and that can ruin some plays, too.
ive made a few one on one plays with JAcoby ford and Randall Cobb who are 5'9" and 5'10" lol. hieght really doesnt matter a ton its all about timing. In fades they might make a difference tho.

My TE is 6'6" with 91 jump and out of 86 receptions this season i dont know that any of them his feet left the ground haha. in the redzone i will try to do a high bullet pass in traffic hoping hell outjump everyone and take the ball out of the air. but he just gets it at the numbers every time for a standard catch.

I still like 6'4" freak WRs who can blaze but i have made very similar plays with my WR Junior Sahanas (6'4" 215lb 96sp) and Jacoby Ford/Randall cobb where i ll throw it in tight man-coverage and user undercut and go up and get the ball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 4

i replayed the game just to test stuff out.

one throw, deep over the middle, maybe 20 yards did go way high over a defenders outstretched hands...

the problem was it was a "tap" pass (no velocity) and even though my guy was open, the pass was so slow that the safety covered a lot of ground to knock it away.

after watching the real super bowl (as opposed to my game which was a championship), i'm convinced that this game doesn't have the options needed for throwing touch pass or high passes with enough velocity.

i was drunk but i remember one superbowl touchtown where Flacco i believe threw over a defender to a WR in the end zone for a score. the defender was only a couple yards in front of the WR, who might have been Boldin.

in Madden that's a pick every time. this has to change.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »