Home

can't seem to throw high jump balls

This is a discussion on can't seem to throw high jump balls within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: can't seem to throw high jump balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ10
Those are the top 10 verticals for linebackers? I find that hard to believe. Julio Jones who is one of the best jumpers in the nfl had a 38.5 vertical at the combine. I seriously doubt linebackers have the same ups as Julio.
The difference between these LBs and Julio is overall ball skills and route running.

Julio could out jump those LB mostly because Julio is gifted at timing a jump and judging the ball at the highest point and knowing how to attack the catch.

Just because the LB can jump as high as Julio doesn't mean he'd be as good at catching a high pass. The LB might not even get his full vertical depending on how he has to load up for the jump, reaction to the pass (too late seeing/judging/reacting to the pass and he won't be able to just leap up like Superman, which is the real difference, imo - in Madden, they almost can just leap up like Superman instantly) while Julio can gather himself and make his full vertical since he knows the timing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2013, 02:39 AM   #26
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

To the OP, the concern can be circumvented through slider modifications.

What I find is the DB's don't give fair respect to the WR's. Its like giving the return man a 5 yard cushion. In real life, if a DB has his back to the ball he is 7.5/10 time out of the play.

As a DB
myself, I've gotten called for flagging my hands in the air with my back to the ball. The first time it happened I stammered at the ref in disbelief. I now understand that its considered interference if I impede the WR's catching window without making an attempt to track down the ball myself.

Without lament, its the interference sliders that can immediately give you a refreshing outlook in the interactions. The PR/KR slider works as a 'respect the receiver' modifier. The higher the slider goes, the more respect is given to the WR's catching window. You can then use the Offense and Defense Pass Interference sliders to create or minimize separation between the two sides.

Here is the suggestion I have:

1. Set PR/KR interference(KPI) to 100
  2. Set Defense Pass Interference (DPI) to 40
  3. Set Offensive Pass Interference (OPI) to 20
Defense Pass Interference represents about 10% of the penalty pie in respect to the penalties that are allocated to the game (11 total) and is called about 2/5 times (40%). That means a potential 4/10 plays could be flagged for DPI or 40 in 100 pass attempts in a single game or more realistically 20 in 50 designed pass plas. Of course, some of these opportunities are negated by sacks, Qb rush attempts, and throw-aways etc.

Offensive Pass Interference represents about 4% of the penalty pie... and is called about in 1 in 5 times (20%). That means a potential 2/10 plays could be flagged for OPI or 20 in 100 pass attempts in a single game or more realistically 10 in 50 designed pass plays. Of course, some of these opportunities are negated by sacks, Qb rush attempts, and throw-aways etc.

PR/KR Interefernce
represents about 1% of the penalty pie... and is called about 1 in 10 times (10%). You will see about 10 return opportunities per game for both sides total. This is an easy penalty to respect however: give the return man space and do not hit him if he calls for a fair catch.

The point of surmising the above is to give the theology on the penalties and how they affect the abilities in Gameplay. What you want to heed is that DPI is called 2x that of OPI and KR/PR Interference is seldom called because its more of a will issue than a skill issue.

*I used a reverse line of logic in my thinking for the KPI slider because it is more of a will issue than a skill issue. You want every fair catch to be respected and called when it is not - you also want the defense to play with their necessary edge and the offense to play with its given freedom to use their hands more liberally than defenders.

Using the 40/20/100 layout will have the players play more true to established penalties in real life. There is more you could do to polish the surroundings such as the pass reaction times for Defense and Game Speed.

Game Speed and Reaction times both affect the on ball ability for Defenders moreso than Offensive players. To that end I would suggest that you set the Game Speed to Slow and Pass Reaction to 50 plus.

If you prefer to keep the ability settings as they are - just use the logic of the penalty path I shared: DPI should be called at double the rate of OPI and the further apart the two are, the more separation you will see on field, by default.

eg; 50OPI contrasted by 100DPI (50 degrees of separation) would the most extreme separation while maintaining that balance of frequency in the two penalties being called.
***Its not that these numbers will intentionally trigger higher or lower frequencies in penalties but they will directly impact the Gameplay.

Quote:
Another route you could go is to use the 100 format and have OPI @ 10 and DPI @ 90 = 100 but KR/PR could then be lowered to its true frequency of 1% or 1. The opportunity is to balance the playing field for aggressive catch behaviors.

Last edited by hanzsomehanz; 02-19-2013 at 02:43 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #27
Banned

OVR: 10

If you want to throw a high ball, double tap the button your wr is really fast before you throw and the qb will throw it higher causing more jump balls.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »