Home

Presentation Needs to Tell the Story of the Game

This is a discussion on Presentation Needs to Tell the Story of the Game within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Presentation Needs to Tell the Story of the Game

Awesome thread man, keep it up!!
Old 02-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
3-4 Defense

roll2tide's Arena

OVR: 13
Cool Re: Presentation Needs to Tell the Story of the Game

Excellent post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You're doing it wrong EA

Twitter roll2tide
Old 02-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #11
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Great thread man and I agree with everything you have posted. The thing I think has to be mentioned because it goes hand and hand with "telling the story" is game pace. These stat banners work so well on tv because there is no way to rush the broadcast. Imagine watching a prerecorded game and fast forwarding to the plays, those stat banners wouldn't even be noticeable. Likewise Madden needs to get rid of that rushed approach to gameplay, in order for presentation to shine, including commentary.
You're absolutely right man. I've felt that way for years. I just don't know if EA has the desire to give the game a realistic pace. They seem content to cater to the button masher who wants to move quickly from play to play...I hate that.

Enter Kolbe. Let's not confuse something: I don't think he's the Madden savior and I'm not naive either. But The Show made its bones on its stellar presentation IMO. Hopefully this translates to Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles36
You're absolutely right man. I've felt that way for years. I just don't know if EA has the desire to give the game a realistic pace. They seem content to cater to the button masher who wants to move quickly from play to play...I hate that.

Enter Kolbe. Let's not confuse something: I don't think he's the Madden savior and I'm not naive either. But The Show made its bones on its stellar presentation IMO. Hopefully this translates to Madden.
Brilliant post!! I disagree with you a lot, but you are soooo dead-on here!! I agree with the rushed feel. There should be options, so people can pick and choose. I love how you said it needs to tell a story, and make you feel a part of it. You don't want every game feeling the same!
Old 02-04-2013, 12:15 AM   #13
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

RG;

I hope when you go down there you are able to chat with Kolbe, pick his brain and talk turkey with him.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:34 AM   #14
Pro

Indyboy180's Arena

OVR: 5

The funny thing is 2K5 had some of these. I know for certain they had drive recaps.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #15
Rangers Lead The Way!!!!

ABR173rd's Arena

OVR: 20

This is probably one of the areas that I felt Madden has been lagging behind in for awhile. Commentary is a huge part of this. EA needs to have adaptable commentary and presentation in place that dynamically reflects every game, season, and move made within CCM.

1. Commentary needs to include all player and CPU draft class names as well as story lines.

2. Story lines needs to be adaptable- talk about a big player acquisitions during the off season or the Coach making a QB change during the season or in game.

3. When records are broken during CCM and then broken again the commentary still refers to the original record and holder versus the new previous player.

4. Opening commentary should refer to teams records during the season and the previous game the two opponents have played against each other.

5. References need to be made in game about players who are having great seasons or bad ones. Make references to cap situations and players who have rejected contracts or just resigned a new deal.

6. I traded in the off season for a 3rd season QB who has been a backup for all three seasons and made him a starter. The opening commentary refers to him as a "Veteran QB" when the QB is actually taking his first snap as a starter. Commentators should refer to the trade and how he is finally getting his first starting opportunity in the league- future games should refer to his success or failures during that season.

7. When a big time player gets injured refer to his stats on the season and talk about the player who is coming in to replace him. USING ACTUAL NAMES.

8. There should be no commentary specifically tailored to Real Life players that can't be adapted to their CPU generated counterparts.

To me this is a big reason Madden lacks character and personality. Seven seasons into a CCM the game feels extremely hollow and there is no personal attachment to the team or the specific players. In this area I will always refer back to NBA2k where the commentary seems free flowing and the story lines are extremely dynamic.

Last edited by ABR173rd; 02-04-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Great thread man and I agree with everything you have posted. The thing I think has to be mentioned because it goes hand and hand with "telling the story" is game pace. These stat banners work so well on tv because there is no way to rush the broadcast. Imagine watching a prerecorded game and fast forwarding to the plays, those stat banners wouldn't even be noticeable. Likewise Madden needs to get rid of that rushed approach to gameplay, in order for presentation to shine, including commentary.
They don't need to "get rid of" them, but like most things, they should set it on a toggle. You should be able to turn television presentation on/off. If you have it on, there would be more cut scenes that would show these types of banners, and if you have it off, it wouldn't.

In other words: players should never be forced to sit through the extra presentation if they don't want, but there should be a mechanism that makes it so that those people don't have to frantically click buttons to skip these every time they happen. By having a toggle menu for presentation, you can please both the casual and hardcore player.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »