Home

Can someone explain this to me?

This is a discussion on Can someone explain this to me? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
Rookie

JO122194's Arena

OVR: 0
Can someone explain this to me?

Ok, I am very confused by the ovr rating. I have 2 superstar dev HB's, I won't say names for spoilers but one I drafted 1st overall 5 years ago and he started as superstar and was an 80 in his rookie year. The 2nd was normal dev and a 61ovr his rookie year, also 5 years ago. Fast Foward to the present the 80 is now a 94 and the 61 is a 82. BUT here's where I become confused. If you go to subs, the 94 is a 99 and the 82 is an 81. The 94 is a west coast scheme and my coach is a west coast. and the 82 is a one cut I think. I thought the scheme effect was on the set ovr 94 and 82. I thought it was hot streaks but both are on them and the 82 is still a 81. The 94 ovr has stats that could be a 99 and I would actually want him to be (I don't care about the salary cap, I would pay him the extra). Can someone tell me why he goes up 5 ovr points in game and the other goes down one? I know ovr means nothing but I would still like to know, thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Can someone explain this to me?

Within a played game, scheme-specific OVR ratings are not displayed, the game instead uses the frontend very general OVR rating calculation, the calculation as it existed in Madden NFL 12 before the introduction of scheme-specific overall ratings. This explains the changes in OVR rating between viewing a player in-game and viewing a player within any CCM roster management screen.

Further, hot streaks and cold streaks have no visible effect to the end user on player ratings when viewing a player in any roster management or depth chart screen.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 1

so next logical question

in game ovr is what affects game play (disregards scheme?) therefore depth chart in game ovr needs noting vs what roster/depth chart

ie what is the point of scheme is it doesnt affect gameplay?
Old 02-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueauvan
so next logical question

in game ovr is what affects game play (disregards scheme?) therefore depth chart in game ovr needs noting vs what roster/depth chart

ie what is the point of scheme is it doesnt affect gameplay?
Neither in-game OVR nor scheme-specific OVR affect football gameplay. The value is never checked for if a player makes a catch, breaks a tackle, and so on. To this end, it's purely cosmetic, an at-a-glance weighted average of the player's total skillset.

Outside of a football game during roster management, the overall rating is checked only for depth-chart ordering and team-building purposes. When the AI is ordering its depth chart or auto-reordering the user team's depth chart, it is always going to select the player with the highest OVR rating for the top slot. This is where scheme-specific overall ratings come into play within CCM; it affects who the AI slots as a starter and backup, and also affects at what positions the AI feels it needs to acquire free agents and draft new players, and also which players the AI signs and drafts. Since there are multiple settings for scheme-specific overall rating, it allows different teams to construct their teams differently; it allows a 3-4 team to value pass rushing OLBs over Cover 2 OLBs, for example.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 16

Why would how a player fits into a certain scheme be "cosmetic?" We have seen time and time again, how different schemes affect different players. Also, the way they set-up 2 separate overalls in one mode is unnecessarily confusing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by at23steelers
Why would how a player fits into a certain scheme be "cosmetic?" We have seen time and time again, how different schemes affect different players. Also, the way they set-up 2 separate overalls in one mode is unnecessarily confusing.
The grade itself is cosmetic. What I mean by that is that scheme doesn't affect the player's individual ratings. I could play DeMarcus Ware as a 4-3 Tampa 2 OLB or a 3-4 Pass Rusher OLB, he's still going to be an elite pass rusher but completely lost in zone coverage; his ratings and how he performs on game day don't change on account of my scheme settings. That's what I mean by cosmetic. OVR rating has never affected on-field performance.

As I mentioned in a different thread, I'm guessing the second OVR rating that appears in-game was an oversight on Tiburon's part.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 02-05-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
The grade itself is cosmetic. What I mean by that is that scheme doesn't affect the player's individual ratings. I could play DeMarcus Ware as a 4-3 Tampa 2 OLB or a 3-4 Pass Rusher OLB, he's still going to be an elite pass rusher but completely lost in zone coverage; his ratings and how he performs on game day don't change on account of my scheme settings. That's what I mean by cosmetic. OVR rating has never affected on-field performance.

As I mentioned in a different thread, I'm guessing the second OVR rating that appears in-game was an oversight on Tiburon's part.
So you are saying the scheme on the field has no affect on the player's ratings, for the ratings are universal no matter what scheme they're in??
Old 02-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #8
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by at23steelers
So you are saying the scheme on the field has no affect on the player's ratings, for the ratings are universal no matter what scheme they're in??
The scheme setting the user picks in the CCM frontend - how the OVR and sub-overall ratings are calculated - has no effect on the player's individual ratings, how that player performs on the field.

The OVR rating - whether scheme-specific or not - has always been a weighted average to give an overview of the skill set of that player to give the user a general guideline of that player's skill level. OVR has never been checked for any in-game calculation for catching a ball, breaking a tackle, recovering a fumble, or anything else. That remains true with scheme-specific overall ratings.

The advantage of the addition of the position scheme settings is that it allows the user to apply varying weights to different attributes based on what he plans on doing with players in that position based on the user playcalling in-game. The 3-4 Pass Rusher OLB setting changes how the game calculates the OVR rating for LOLBs and ROLBs so that players with higher pass rushing attributes - primarily PMV and FMV, but also SPD, ACC, STR, AWR - are factored more heavily into the calculation compared to the legacy OVR rating calculation used in previous Madden games for grading LOLBs and ROLBs.

So no, it doesn't affect how a player performs via a ratings boost, if that's what you are asking. It can affect you the user, how you do your teambuilding and playcalling, because you the user know how you want to call a game and how you want to use various personnel at different positions. Thus, it can affect how you play the game knowing where your strongest and weakest players are.

EDIT: to be more clear, a linebacker with BSH 80 will always have BSH 80 regardless of scheme. How heavily the BSH rating is factored into the calculation of the OVR rating is affected by the player scheme setting.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 02-05-2013 at 11:12 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »