Home

Players don't like money

This is a discussion on Players don't like money within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Players don't like money

Anyone else thinks it sucks that you players in Madden don't want money? I've been looking across all team-salaries and frankly i'm astonished. Here's some examples:

Victor Cruz, 93 ovr, 6 yr/26 mil
Darren McFadden, 92 ovr, 5yr/18 mil
Connor Murphy (3rd best DT in game), 94 ovr, 6yr/27 mil
DeMarcus Ware, 99 ovr, 6 yr/58 mil
Morris Claiborne, 89 ovr, 6 yr/32 mil
Trent Richardson, 94 ovr, 5yr/45 mil

All those guys were picked off during FA-bidding. To me, this just ruins the Madden-experience. I can't believe you can pick every player up at FA and never get in cap trouble. No tough decisions, no letting a great player go.

Seriously Calais Campbell asks for 6 yr/35 mil. I can't believe the logic in this. No huge contracts anywhere. The system is so flawed and non-logical. I'm PISSED!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: Players don't like money

I totally agree actually. I'm in a CCM with a couple friends, and my buddy signed Darren McFadden to a 3-year deal for like 14 mil. That's crazy cheap IMO. I thought that managing the salary cap would be more difficult, but so far we've all been able to sign/re-sign whoever we want. We're in season 3 and I have +$37 mil of cap space. Of course as the Packers, I try to stay true to Ted Thompson's philosophy so I stockpile draft picks and don't sign FAs.

#GoPackGo
Old 02-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

I'm not sure McFadden could get a 3 year/$14m base+bonus contract in real life as a RB who typically only plays 13 or fewer games/season.

Some of those others aren't exactly out of line either due to age and other factors like the cap room of teams bidding.

It would be much more broken and 'game killing' if teams weren't willing or able to pay what superstars want and you have a handful of 90+ OVR guys sitting in free agency when the season starts.

Also, a lot of blockbuster contracts are typically cut short or restructured (many never intended to be 100% fulfilled and serve as ammo for release/restructure), and in hindsight look even smaller than some of these.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
Pro

There's a huge issue with players having no clue with what their worth is.

There's next to zero challenge in resigning every star player you have, then having room to add whatever you want.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfctillidie
There's a huge issue with players having no clue with what their worth is.

There's next to zero challenge in resigning every star player you have, then having room to add whatever you want.
I don't think that's always the case, I've run into cap trouble a couple of years into my Dolphins franchise. I've seen plenty of clear cases of having to overpay for players too because of poor scheme fit and/or competition.

The current FA system is light years ahead of what we've had previously. Not perfect and could use a lot more communication about why some things happen among other improvements, but overall this is a net positive for Madden 13 IMO.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29
What about quarterbacks?

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 02-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
I don't think that's always the case, I've run into cap trouble a couple of years into my Dolphins franchise. I've seen plenty of clear cases of having to overpay for players too because of poor scheme fit and/or competition.

The current FA system is light years ahead of what we've had previously. Not perfect and could use a lot more communication about why some things happen among other improvements, but overall this is a net positive for Madden 13 IMO.
same here. pretty tight against the cap right now in my browns CCM. prob wont be able to re-sign weeden. agree with the new system being light yrs ahead of where we were & it being a positive change.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo

I never said it wasn't better, sure it is.

But I have players in my online CCM, guys continually nominated for DPOY and tops of their position...but they are mid 80's overall so they ask for mid 80's salary.

When players have monster performances, they ask for monster money. Their potential and proven ability so far is factored into why they command the money.

In CC, the ratings and position salaries across the league seem to have the only real impact.

A more specific example is that I'm KC, and Eric Berry is a top 3 at worst SS in my Online CC and routinely put up for DPOY. His "Madden Salary" was 5M per with no bonus. After 3 incredible seasons, where his high rated counterparts like Polamalu were not playing at his level, but making a bit more money, he decides to ask for LESS than 5M per season.

Why in the world?

Why can I take Jamaal Charles, who I could rush with for 1500-1800 yards if I rode him, but instead drop his touches to ensure he gets 1000-1200 yards, and then he'll ask for less money at the renewal time because of that? His capability is there, and the real life player would recognize that and demand money for their talents, but in Madden, they don't.

He resigned 4yr/19M, in his prime, because I limited his stats, despite the talent still being there.

I will concede my sweeping statement wasn't accurate, Dwayne Bowe cost me a fortune, but keeping him, Charles, Hali, Houston, Berry, Flowers, (as well as trading for Aaron Hernandez), I didn't even have to try and work the numbers. Whatever they asked for, they got, and I had to cut nobody and have 20M free on the side. These are all top end players in my CCM, in addition to many other top players I've built or acquired.

There's still a long way to go, but I've found very little challenge in this. Want to keep your costs down? Limit their stats. Find talented players with low OVR (like those studs in draft classes who simply have 20 awareness so their OVR is crap, despite being very good players), they'll dominate, win awards, and ask for middle man money.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »