Home

Old 02-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
46 Defense

Hello all I am trying to set my defensive schemes by position. The playbook I selected was the 46, can someone give me a breakdown by position? Like what type of DE, DT, OLB, MLB, CB, SS, FS would fit the 46 Defense?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: 46 Defense

Here;s a nice overview, with a few mentions of "player type":

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...the-46-defense

The wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/46_defense

Google is your friend on this one...

It's kind of like a 4-3 / 3-4 Hybrid, because you need a NT over the center / your SS is like a 4th LB and the CBs / FS need to be able to man up...

Last edited by KingV2k3; 02-17-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Yeah, the SS has to be strong enough to fight off blocks and make hard, firm tackles.

If he's getting blocked up and no one else is coming free - there goes the reason to run the 46, the "extra" defender that the offense ideally can not account for (8 vs 7).

Then if you have big DL that can do their thing, you get more flowing for the LBs, which is definitely important on outside runs. In the 4-3, you almost always have at least one LB outside, if not both, and the MLB can watch the HB and how the hole open to know where to go. In the 46, everyone is more 'packed in', so getting outside takes a bit more effort.

The free safety needs to have range (single high safety) and/or be able to run support on those outside runs. If you go with the cover type, like an Ed Reed, then the front needs to really be on the ball. If you move your Polamalu-type over there, then you'll need someone who can work on the strong side.

It's a tough, but not impossible, defense to run, especially in this game with outside runs often being so effective. I'd keep my DL almost always spread out. You have the inside taken care of with the LBs overwatching all the inside gaps. You want to delay/string out the outside attacks by the offense. Physical corners can be a godsend as well to help this cause, especially if you opt for the coverage free safety.

Just my opinion.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Yeah, the SS has to be strong enough to fight off blocks and make hard, firm tackles.

If he's getting blocked up and no one else is coming free - there goes the reason to run the 46, the "extra" defender that the offense ideally can not account for (8 vs 7).

Then if you have big DL that can do their thing, you get more flowing for the LBs, which is definitely important on outside runs. In the 4-3, you almost always have at least one LB outside, if not both, and the MLB can watch the HB and how the hole open to know where to go. In the 46, everyone is more 'packed in', so getting outside takes a bit more effort.

The free safety needs to have range (single high safety) and/or be able to run support on those outside runs. If you go with the cover type, like an Ed Reed, then the front needs to really be on the ball. If you move your Polamalu-type over there, then you'll need someone who can work on the strong side.

It's a tough, but not impossible, defense to run, especially in this game with outside runs often being so effective. I'd keep my DL almost always spread out. You have the inside taken care of with the LBs overwatching all the inside gaps. You want to delay/string out the outside attacks by the offense. Physical corners can be a godsend as well to help this cause, especially if you opt for the coverage free safety.

Just my opinion.

Nice breakdown!

I choose the generic Tampa 2 Book, because it gives you the best of the Bears D style(s) from the past (46) and present (Tampa 2)...

So:

I drafted a ROLB to be the "Briggs" to D. Jackson's "Urlacher"...

Both DTs (Rubin and Taylor) are NT size, so it's easy to shift the line to get one of them over center to eat up a couple blocks when a OG comes over for help...

Ward is a great run support SS, so he's great for this as well...

Hayden is great "on an island" and I picked up C. Houston to compliment him on the other side...

Lastly, I have a "Prototype" FS that I drafted that acts as an (Ed Reed type) "Center Fielder"...

I love it as a change up D...

I esp. like to "disguise it" by rushing a 5th guy (SS) and dropping into a 3 over 3 Medium / Deep zone...

As we know, the 34 has never really worked as it should in this series, so 46 is the best way to mix it up with a 43 base...

Good times, indeed!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0
Great breakdowns!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2013, 02:16 AM   #6
Pro

live to die54's Arena

OVR: 5

in madden what would the scheme types be for each position. im starting a jets CCM and am thinking of turning them into a 4-6 just not completely sure what i should put on the coach schemes(yes i know they dont actually matter its just helpful for me in the build process to see what is more important over other things)
Old 03-07-2013, 11:30 PM   #7
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

The key is the SS in the box, so he's prob a Prototype or Run Support

The CBs have to be Man or at least Balanced, because there's less help over the top

The FS should be a Playmaker or Balanced...whatever leans "pass coverage"

The front seven is pretty variable, IMHO

For Madden, I like (in descending order of preference):

LE Speed Rush

LDT / RDT Run Support, Balanced or Prototype

RE 43 Balanced or Run Support

MLB Run Support, Balanced or Prototype

OLBs Balanced or Prototype (they have more pass coverage responsibility with the SS in the box)
Old 03-08-2013, 01:18 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by live to die54
in madden what would the scheme types be for each position. im starting a jets CCM and am thinking of turning them into a 4-6 just not completely sure what i should put on the coach schemes(yes i know they dont actually matter its just helpful for me in the build process to see what is more important over other things)
I'd probably do something like:

LE/RE - 4-3 Balanced - You want some speed, but you need run stopping as well, especially on outside runs, so you don't want to weight totally to speed rushers. Top 3 Ratings I look for: ACC, PUR, BSH

DT - Nose Tackle - Big guys in the middle and wreak havoc on inside runs and make you more secure about spreading the d-line out for better edge protection. Also will help keep your gaps clean for the LBs. Top 3 Ratings I look for: STR, ACC.

LOLB - 3-4 Pass Rusher. With the SS on the strong (typically the defensive left) side, I like to let the LOLB be more aggressive. Even if I don't do much blitzing, someone who's fast with good acceleration can play that aggressive run-blitz role and cut the outside off before it gets going, helping the SS/LE out. Top 3 Ratings I look for: SPD, PUR, BSH

MLB - Run Stopper or Balanced. I want my MLBs able to do just about anything no worse than decent to slightly above average. He is the eraser that's on the pencil, the safe word that lets everyone else try to do too much and not get destroyed. I want to tell him to do anything and he'll be able to do it within reason. That said, the three things I think a MLB must have is tenacious battling through blocks and traffic, relentless pursuit, and getting his man to the ground first time every time. Run Stopper weights toward those three things, so you can see the guys that have a shot. Then you can "tie break" with the rest, based on how you want your LBs to play vs the pass, etc. Top 3 Ratings I look for: basically all of them - but if I had to pick 3, PUR, TAK, PRC

ROLB - Balanced. Unlike the LOLB, this guy has no help except maybe a FS that need to roam far to get involved in the run or a CB that may or may not be physical. So I don't want him going all-out at the QB or trying for big loss plays. I need him to read and stay free either for backside pursuit or stringing out the play. With the DE on the edge, the ROLB needs to know whether to attack inside or outside. He can't just pick one and go, leaving the HB free to go against him and possibly in the open. He also needs to be decent in zone coverage, at least for me. Top 3 Ratings I look for: PRC, BSH, PUR

CB - Man to Man. Since 46 is often an attacking defense on some level and there's usually only one safety in the usual pass defense positioning, the corners need to do more on their own in coverage. That said, depending on the flavor of 46 you want to run, there's a place for a Run Support CB that's at least decent in MCV, especially if he has good PRC as well. Top 3 ratings I look for: MCV, PRC, one of TAK, POW, STR, BSH.

FS - Playmaker. Quite simply, this archetype weights the three things I look for in a FS. PRC (I know what's coming), AWR (I know what to do about it), PUR (I'll get there no matter what). Considering he might have the whole field to deal with, the only other thing I'd tack on is SPD simply because he has to physically be able to cover the ground. In a 4-3 or 3-4, the PUR usually lets him run support when needed or to make a play. In the 46, the PUR lets him get involved more quickly if he sees a breakdown. Top 3 ratings I look for: SPD, PRC, AWR

SS - Balanced. Again, just what I'd look for in a 46 SS right on the type description: speed, agility, coverage, tackling. Enough said. If I had to give up one, I'd give up top speed. He's likely going to be covering TE's in man, and zone doesn't really need a ton of speed. Man needs agility to stay with cuts, coverage is self-explanatory, tackling is needed if he's to fill his "4th linebacker" role well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »