Home

NFL Helmet rule passes

This is a discussion on NFL Helmet rule passes within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #17
Pro

cuttingteeth's Arena

OVR: 14
Location: I live on the road - ghosting servers of family members...haha.
Re: NFL Helmet rule passes

I just checked many sports sites. TONS of people dislike this rule change, from many players current/former to fans alike.

Also, I'm reminded of one of the first things you're taught when playing the game - get your shoulder level lower than the other man to beat him. How do you not still teach that and have this game play the same? It's beyond weak. I'll give Mike Mayock the quote of the day that "at some point you have to let football be football." The obvious, burning question is, "when is that going to happen?"
Old 03-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #18
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerSpartan

So is Madden going to take out the truck stick now????.....because it sure looks like they're lowering their head when that thing is pushed forward....

It wouldn't surprise me considering the NFL supposedly doesn't let them use tats on players anymore
Lol at the two jokers in that video. Wow

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 03-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel77733
Horrible rule change in reality. Mine as well just play flag football. I understand Goodell is trying to make the game safer but at the same time, football is a violent sport and that cant be changed. NFL has to be careful because if you keep watering down the product, eventually, you're going to lose a lot of fans. They wont care anymore.

As for Madden, this doesnt affect the game at all because well, penalties are rarely if ever called anyway.
Only 5 of these penalties would have been called this year. It's only going to be called when a runner spears a defensive player, which is technically already a rule, even though it never gets called.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #20
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttingteeth

I wrote a blog already about what they should do - just widen the field of play. If bigger, "faster," stronger is the issue of safety per today, then widening the field gives guys more room to offset the speed and momentum that has increased over the years. It's scientifically factual, so I'm not just blowing smoke. It can be proven.
This is not an isolated idea.

I liked your post for the concept itself but lets not be naive to think the board of directors have not considered the costs for this change. A rule change is more economical and practical at this stage. *32 field expansions would be radical at this point. The CFL already uses a wider field so there is a case study available there.

Before I digress, I add that a lot of this outcry is exaggerated and ignorant. The lg wants players to play like professionals that use their heads with intelligence not for assault and battery purposes. Is it profressional to put your head down and eyes to the ground (lead w the crown)? Players need to be accountable to playing more heady and saavy, they are not literal rams who conquer their rivals with head butts.

Finally, how often do horse collar penalties get called? Per www.nflpenalties.comThere was an average of 0.81 Horse Collar Tackle penalties per team league wide.

* I dont see this being a hurculean challenge for players to adjust to and overcome. There is still a wide enough margin for players to duck their heads but more emphasis is being placed on bruising w the shoulders and being elusive to escape the tackle box.

Tackling needs to be a technical process so does ball carrying. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander. If the real game plays like a pro bowl game then we have reason to worry and bawl. I dont see 31 owners being in favor of losing business.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by hanzsomehanz; 03-20-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:11 AM   #21
Lord of Suffering

Darth Aegis's Arena

OVR: 5

Madden cant even get pass interference in the game. No way they get this right and into the game. It will say its there but wont be in the actual game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2013, 01:06 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutler23
Madden cant even get pass interference in the game. No way they get this right and into the game. It will say its there but wont be in the actual game.
Yeah, this all the way. The NFL could add dozens of penalties, but only a handful are going to be called in Madden. It's not like we saw calls for hits on a defenseless receiver when that was added. Penalties like these are way beyond anything EA is capable of.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:22 AM   #23
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootofalleli
Yeah, this all the way. The NFL could add dozens of penalties, but only a handful are going to be called in Madden. It's not like we saw calls for hits on a defenseless receiver when that was added. Penalties like these are way beyond anything EA is capable of.
Remember that the NFL has some influence here over what can and can't go into the game. I would imagine that anything regarding hits on defenseless receivers is probably a no-go from the shield.

To that end, I'm frankly surprised that they were able to get into the game the late hit out of bounds penalty.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #24
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

its the open field ramming hits the want to do away with. goalline third and short or fourth short rb still lowering body ..it only in one on one situations where back lowers and helmet hits first if helmet hits a helmet as a by product of lowering shoulder i don't think it will be called.

defensively they need to tackle better to many times guys going for shoulder big hit and not wrapping ..so it many times in playoffs where ballcarrier should have been down but since tackler didn't wrap up also play continue for extra yards

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »