Home

Is madden Heading in the right direction or moving in a dead end?

This is a discussion on Is madden Heading in the right direction or moving in a dead end? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: What you want out of EAs Madden series.
Yes, I like what madden has done with the game over the years with Mut,CCM and presentation. 14 11.86%
No, I wish they would get back to basics and fix the gameplay like assist tackles and o and D line play, the penalties and challenges. 46 38.98%
Does it matter, EA does what they want anyway. 27 22.88%
I think madden still needs to use a new engine with new player models that act like the players in real life.More distinction between players and better physics just not speed physics. 31 26.27%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-2013, 11:29 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Is madden Heading in the right direction or moving in a dead end?

Definitely not heading in the the right direction.. You can almost say they are moving backwards imo.. They just need to reinvent the entire game, completely change the engine along with everything else period. Imo they can start by letting Tiburon go, and go with an entire new Developer. Out with the Old, in with the New..
Old 03-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #18
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Love the sig man. I have this toleration list in my head for M25 and no way I get the game if it doesn't meet that standard on these consoles or the new ones. All this talk of doubled game play teams, making NCAA and Madden more similar and CCM allowing them to do more in one year with "one mode to rule them all", there will be no excuses for M25 as far as I am concerned.

Top of my wishlist is that the exclusive expires and Tiburon finally puts it together with M25 on both the current and new consoles. I am actually rooting for Tiburon to succeed in turning EA football around this year because as much as I hate the way the last 8 years have played out, I'm just one solid sim football game away from getting over it, lol.
I'm rooting for a solid game from Tiburon but I won't support it either way with the exclusive license at stake. I've learned my lesson after the first deal. I was a Madden fan who shrugged off the deal and continued to enjoy Madden 05 all the way through Madden 08 on the ps2 (which I consider the best of the franchise).

Once I switched to ps3 I realized what a disaster the exclusive license was to my favorite game. Madden has suffered because too much of its funds went to securing all football licenses instead of developing the game. Also too many people want Madden to be too many completely different things. Tourney guys and sim heads simply don't want the same things. Finally, even the best games ever become stale. When they do, there has to be an opportunity for a new company to step up and make a fresh game and the exclusive license denies us that.

If you click on my sig, you'll find a video where I try to express these feelings. If you enjoy Madden and only want that game for your football from now until the hour of your death by all means purchase Madden 25. If you want an opportunity to purchase a new NFL tecmo, 2k, sony or some other developer's game. People should pass this year.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #19
MVP

adriano's Arena

OVR: 8

I feel the game finally is moving in the right direction.
I am a 2k fan. I really love Madden 13's passing. I feel
like 70 to 80% of my passes are thrown to where I was
aiming. IMO All previous Maddens did not have that
feel.

Where the game needs work is line play. It's a joke.
I want to see line surges, a readable pocket. I want
to be able to play DE and feel like it's not cheese.

If they address that, and just refine all the rough edges,
(CCM complaints, Glitches) I feel like this years game
can make huge strides.

If the line play is not addressed, then I will be extremely
disappointed...
Old 03-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 14

I think football games as a whole went down soon as the NFL exclusive deal was signed.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #21
Pro

yougo1000's Arena

OVR: 14

I think it depends on what they do for next year. If there is even more problems then yes. But if there are less problems and bugs are fixed than no. I do think they need to focus on gameplay instead of the menus. It's not like I go to the menu and say WOW look at those unbelievable menus.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #22
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriano
I feel the game finally is moving in the right direction.
I am a 2k fan. I really love Madden 13's passing. I feel
like 70 to 80% of my passes are thrown to where I was
aiming. IMO All previous Maddens did not have that
feel.

Where the game needs work is line play. It's a joke.
I want to see line surges, a readable pocket. I want
to be able to play DE and feel like it's not cheese.

If they address that, and just refine all the rough edges,
(CCM complaints, Glitches) I feel like this years game
can make huge strides.

If the line play is not addressed, then I will be extremely
disappointed...
I'm a little surprised to hear that from a 2k guy. Personally I like the route based passing of APF over any other game but I think Madden did a good job on ps2. I made a vid about it here .

Did you ever play Madden on PS2? It's not so much the ball placement, rather the defender's reaction time and awareness that make the passing on the ps2 better imo. I have to admit, I'm not a fan of the changing wrs routes in Madden 13 at all either tho.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #23
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I don't understand the choice offered in the topic post. Specifically, what year has Madden not focused on football gameplay in some capacity via some sort of on-field improvements? More generally, given the broad audience Madden caters to, what exactly is the "right direction" which this series should take to meet the demands of the greatest number of people? I don't understand the dichotomy offered.

To give as best an answer I can to the intent of the post, however: I think the quality of Madden has improved iteratively with each game in the series. I think that this is a positive development. If that is a satisfactory answer to the question "is Madden moving in the right direction?" then that is my answer. Again though, I struggle with the question because I think that it is too broad.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #24
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I think the quality of Madden has improved iteratively with each game in the series.
You're serious too, aren't you?

I dont even know how you muster the audacity to make that statement when the Madden team of employees and designers has gone through 3-4 collapse and rebuild phases in this generation alone. I'm talking about senior designers walking away from the company and/or being pushed out.

The lack of iterative progression in this series since last gen matches the lack of continuity in their team. That's why we have seen locomotion, franchise, customization, physics, and countless other aspects of the game change multiple times without year to year progress.

This game, Madden 13, is actually a pretty good football game but it has some of the same flaws and oversights that have been complained about for a decade now. I don't see iterative progress when "features" get prioritized over details. It's rebuilding the same wheel over and over with different tires.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »