Home

Is madden Heading in the right direction or moving in a dead end?

This is a discussion on Is madden Heading in the right direction or moving in a dead end? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: What you want out of EAs Madden series.
Yes, I like what madden has done with the game over the years with Mut,CCM and presentation. 14 11.86%
No, I wish they would get back to basics and fix the gameplay like assist tackles and o and D line play, the penalties and challenges. 46 38.98%
Does it matter, EA does what they want anyway. 27 22.88%
I think madden still needs to use a new engine with new player models that act like the players in real life.More distinction between players and better physics just not speed physics. 31 26.27%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #57
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Is madden Heading in the right direction or moving in a dead end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Not trying to be a smarty here, but how about applying to become a GCer? That way, you can get behind the scenes and have some developers ears.

Just a random thought.
I feel you Road but at this point I am hoping that the new consoles and an expiration of the exclusive bring about a realistic NFL game I can enjoy. Maybe back in 2009, when I was young, full of piss and vinegar I would have been optimistic enough to believe I could make a difference interacting directly with devs but I now know of far better suited people than me doing just that, to no avail. At least the majority of my futile efforts to effect change, aside from having to going out to buy the game, have been done from the comfort of my own home. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be for me to go all the way to Tiburon and the game still be what it is.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #58
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

To the question being asked. Since I don't like any of the poll responses and don't care for the back and forth going on.

Yes, Madden is headed in the "right" direction. Does that mean that it will every get there? No, can't say one way or the other. Does that mean the changes from year to year or the promise of another "three year plan" will appeal to the masses at OS, probably not.

Madden on next gen was a failed transition. EA set the bar to high and delivered on very little of what they said the would be able to do.

Madden on Gen 4, in all reality is going to be the make or break for me and sports games. Madden moves the needle for me. There are tons of other games that do a better job of entertaining me, than madden at this point. I refuse to be stung along at $70 a pop for incremental improvements for another system.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 03-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #59
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
Madden on Gen 4, in all reality is going to be the make or break for me and sports games. Madden moves the needle for me. There are tons of other games that do a better job of entertaining me, than madden at this point. I refuse to be stung along at $70 a pop for incremental improvements for another system.
Like I said a couple months ago, next gen presents a real life crossroads for many of us. I used to think of myself as a gamer; I'm not. Football videogames are my foundation, and any game I play outside of that is just an extension of that foundation. So I won't be playing this back & forth tennis game w/ next gen if Madden is still so-so.

The culture and stigmas surrounding Madden need to change. I know that I only intimately follow Madden so I have tunnel vision, but I don't know that there's another game where we so often hear about limitations, deadlines, and what they couldn't get in.

For example, I don't want to hear non-sense about how they can't get mouthpieces into Madden next gen. Not when the PS4 was demoing some of the graphic capabilities just a month ago. This game going to next gen needs to start to exceed expectations, not just meet them (or fall below them).
Old 03-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #60
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
To the question being asked. Since I don't like any of the poll responses and don't care for the back and forth going on.

Yes, Madden is headed in the "right" direction. Does that mean that it will every get there? No, can't say one way or the other. Does that mean the changes from year to year or the promise of another "three year plan" will appeal to the masses at OS, probably not.

Madden on next gen was a failed transition. EA set the bar to high and delivered on very little of what they said the would be able to do.

I am not trying to squash anyone's opinion, I just want know how can a game be considered heading in the right direction if no substantial element of it, has arrived in 8 years. I can name substantial elements of other top sports sims, that while still having room for improvement, are fundamentally well done representations of their sport. I can't think of anything substantial like that in M13.

For me if it isn't making applicable aspects of the game more realistic, it's not better, it's just more of the same or worse. I believe there is varying degrees of how realistic an element is but not for if it's realistic or unrealistic. It's likely that those working on Madden consider certain things they worked on for M13 fixed, like read n react and the new passing system, so they move on to address something else, like player movement and OL/DL line for M25. However, if the things they consider fixed still aren't realistic I don't see how them moving on to "fix" other things gets Madden any closer to being a better representation of football or how that methodology has Madden headed in the right direction.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #61
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54
Simply put Big, while not falling for the hype of marketing. Everyone from the Devs to the game changers has stated that simulation is now the goal. So for me that is headed in the right direction.

Getting there is another story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #62
Pro

OVR: 7

I admit I have 0 faith in their future. Buying 12 and 13 just reminded me why I avoided buying it since 09. So much hype and when you get the product everything seems to be ran on shortcuts. It doesnt capture the feel of a real football game. Even real sim games end up being shootouts.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:55 AM   #63
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Simply put Big, while not falling for the hype of marketing. Everyone from the Devs to the game changers has stated that simulation is now the goal. So for me that is headed in the right direction.

Getting there is another story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have to disagree. Devs can state that as their goal until they are blue in the face but the first thing I notice when I fire up a game of Madden is the player movement. This zig zag running/ turn table movement has been a Madden staple for as long as I can remember and when the devs focused on it for Madden 11 it went backwards from Madden 10. Meanwhile tourney guys praised the return of player control that was missing in Madden 10.

It's one thing to state that simulation is their goal, it's quite another to act upon it.

Someone earlier in this thread said that Madden is made for the masses/casuals with little concern for die hards because they will purchase by default. That's blunt honesty that I wish EA would use more often. That's the game they make every year and saying simulation is the goal is just paying the sim heads some lip service to appease them in my opinion.

Newer, more powerful consoles are on the horizon and I expect EA to continue to develop this game with the same basic philosophy. That's not heading in the right direction at all.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #64
MVP

SteelerSpartan's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I have to disagree. Devs can state that as their goal until they are blue in the face but the first thing I notice when I fire up a game of Madden is the player movement. This zig zag running/ turn table movement has been a Madden staple for as long as I can remember and when the devs focused on it for Madden 11 it went backwards from Madden 10. Meanwhile tourney guys praised the return of player control that was missing in Madden 10.

It's one thing to state that simulation is their goal, it's quite another to act upon it.

Someone earlier in this thread said that Madden is made for the masses/casuals with little concern for die hards because they will purchase by default. That's blunt honesty that I wish EA would use more often. That's the game they make every year and saying simulation is the goal is just paying the sim heads some lip service to appease them in my opinion.

Newer, more powerful consoles are on the horizon and I expect EA to continue to develop this game with the same basic philosophy. That's not heading in the right direction at all.
Yep. To me thats how I see it. Their main concern is the 5 min qrt Tourney Players. Only do enough so that it shows up in a 5 min Qrt and your 30 sec add buys

There is no real football depth to this game...Any attempt at adding some was half-assed and then saying..."see most fans dont enjoy using that level depth and know how of football....so whats the point"

My CFB Teams:
Marshall..WVU-Go Herd/Eeers!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »